Everything Stanley Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Early days but kinda looks like he's worked his way into the rotation...
    Yeah in fairness to Johnson hes carved out a niche. Replaced those McCaw minutes well. Stout, versatile defender who moves the ball quickly on offense and doesnt try to do too much. At times he verges on a small child fumblung a ball into traffic, but hey, at least he got a steal first. Sometimes you just need a guy to fill in for your guys for 10-15 minutes and keep the ship steady - imagine if we had that guy at center.

Comment

• His defensive energy has actually done enough early here to allow his bench looks to have success. He has one of the best overall on/off splits on the team, which is bonkers to see considering how much the offence craters with him out there. Looks like a guy who you can survive playing in short spurts, which is an upgrade on last year. Early days though...

Still, playing way too high in the rotation right now. I know Nick loves his defence but come the playoffs he'll be unplayable like RHJ was. Have to find bench and transitional lineups that work with other guys, and use him more to fill some minutes gaps than as a key bench player.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• How unlikely is it that he achieves a "reliable" (33% from 3) jumper by season's end? It has to be somewhere more probable than it was for, say, Landry Fields...or even DeMar?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          His defensive energy has actually done enough early here to allow his bench looks to have success. He has one of the best overall on/off splits on the team, which is bonkers to see considering how much the offence craters with him out there. Looks like a guy who you can survive playing in short spurts, which is an upgrade on last year. Early days though...

Still, playing way too high in the rotation right now. I know Nick loves his defence but come the playoffs he'll be unplayable like RHJ was. Have to find bench and transitional lineups that work with other guys, and use him more to fill some minutes gaps than as a key bench player.
          I still don't understand why RHJ was unplayable in the playoffs? I know the NBA is trending towards 5 shooters, but RHJ is highly efficient because he gets offensive rebounds and moreso, has a knack for putbacks. That's highly efficient offense. Gasol was making us play 4 vs. 5 on offense anyway. So, with Gasol contributing negatively to the offense and Fred & Pascal bricking everything, RHJ could have been a nice option to get us extra possessions.

And RHJ would have been able to switch everything and not force us to play Box & One because Gasol & Serge were getting run off the court, with Fred being unable to slow down Kemba any other way.
          Last edited by golden; Wed Jan 13, 2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I still don't understand why RHJ was unplayable in the playoffs? I know the NBA is trending towards 5 shooters, but RHJ is highly efficient because he gets offensive rebounds and moreso, has a knack for putbacks. That's highly efficient offense. Gasol was making us play 4 vs. 5 on offense anyway. So, with Gasol contributing negatively to the offense and Fred & Pascal bricking everything, RHJ could have been a nice option to get us extra possessions.

And RHJ would have been able to switch everything and not force us to play Box & One because Gasol & Serge were getting run off the court, with Fred being unable to slow down Kemba any other way.
            If you thought we were playing 4 on 5 on offence, we would effectively have been playing 3 on 5 on offence in comparison.

We weren't "forced" to play zones, we wanted to, and it worked really well. The offence was what died, and the solution to that was not RHJ. When has he ever actually helped an offence? His offensive rebounding mitigates how much he hurts you, it doesn't mean he helps.

He was unplayable in the playoffs for the same reason he was unplayable in the regular season except by making him the ball handler. They used him that way more and more because teams ignored him off ball more and more and it hurt us more and more. And RHJ ball handling against Boston's defence would have been a disaster.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Staninal should count as a feather in Nurse's cap for developing young players. Huge turnaround from last year to this one, as a lot of bad habits seem to have been broken and confidence rebuilt.

Comment

Staninal should count as a feather in Nurse's cap for developing young players. Huge turnaround from last year to this one, as a lot of bad habits seem to have been broken and confidence rebuilt.
                I like how he is just focusing on defence, and doing a pretty damn good job of it. He's almost trying to avoid shooting the ball, but he's doing ok there too when he gets those chances he can't pass up. Huge difference than last season.

Comment

• Really happy for Stanley, because I was kind of shocked that he sunk to the depths he did last season. I actually thought he had a chance to beat out OG for the starting SF job last year - a bit optimistic. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Really happy for Stanley, because I was kind of shocked that he sunk to the depths he did last season. I actually thought he had a chance to beat out OG for the starting SF job last year - a bit optimistic. lol.
                    Don't forget he's also playing for a contract.. and he saw what happened to RHJ. He needs to make the most out of this season otherwise he could be out of the NBA.

So I'm liking what he's giving us, but I really hope we don't extend his contract and just let him find a new team. I think he'll just go back to the guy he was last year once he's on a new deal. And that guy was a chucker.

Comment

• He's so big but moves so well - like a guard - defensively. Definitely reminiscent of Ron Artest how he looks out there on D, getting deflections and steals and living in his stance.

Comment

He's so big but moves so well - like a guard - defensively. Definitely reminiscent of Ron Artest how he looks out there on D, getting deflections and steals and living in his stance.
                        Hes got good size, but even moreso a great base for someone his size. Dudes not getting pushed around in the post. If he were a little bit longer and shot a little bit better a team would throw a bag at him. Assuming he continues good play, I hope he sticks around. Seems like a great teammate and a good role player. Seems like the first NBA team to give the guy structure and the role to focus on. Helps that its the only real winning team hes been on. Hope when he hits free agency he sticks around, or gets very choosy with where he goes.

Comment

• Currently shooting 44% from 3 (only 1.5 attempts though).

Comment

• Comment

• Wow, where did stanley come from all of a sudden? Really nice game last night in limited minutes, great passing and smart plays.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                Wow, where did stanley come from all of a sudden? Really nice game last night in limited minutes, great passing and smart plays.
                                Yep. That Raptors developmental system is undefeated, I guess. Still definitely best kept in a role where a) he plays limited minutes and b) he plays as a PF or C so they don't rely on his ballhandling, but the shooting (in a small sample) and flashes of playmaking are a huge bonus.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X