No announcement yet.

Poll: The State of The League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure it's written to contract that you can be traded anywhere. Unless Derozan had no trade clause and Raptors ignored it.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      I'm pretty sure it's written to contract that you can be traded anywhere. Unless Derozan had no trade clause and Raptors ignored it.
      And it's not written in your contract that you can't ask for a trade.

Moot and irrelevant strawman of a point.

These guys aren't breaking rules by demanding trades, nor should it be against the rules. If they want to outlaw players demanding trades they should also ban teams from trading a player against their wishes. Like cool, let's just have a league with zero player movement then because people don't like the fact that players can actually think for themselves and make good decisions for their career.

Right now players don't even have as much leverage as teams do anyway in these situations. A team can trade a player whenever and wherever they want as long as the other team wants that player and he doesn't have an NTC. A player can demand a trade, yes, but where they get traded is entirely dependent on where the team is OK with trading them to and what return the receiving team can offer. That's how Kawhi's trade demand ended up with him on the Raptors, and Paul George's ended up with him on OKC, two places that neither guy wanted to be dealt to.

So people need to stop with this players should just shut up and play crap. They have a right and it's well within the terms of their deal to ask to be moved elsewhere. Hell the fucking Clippers signed Blake to a long-term deal and literally dealt him to DETROIT like 5 months later.

Comment

• Anthony Davis got fined for public demand of a trade. So saying they are not breaking rules is something.

Comment

Wasn't Bosh a sign and trade and we got 2 picks from Miami?
          Those picks were announced long after the fact and it was more like NBA "hush money" after Bosh inadvertently let it slip that he, Lebron & Wade had been scheming together for a while. I recall Colangelo complaining about it, just after it happened. The NBA doesn't want to deal with player-to-player tampering, because there is no way to deal with it. Otherwise, we would have lost Bosh for nothing, like Kawhi - other than a ..... championship.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

People have this really weird, slavemaster mentality towards athletes and it's even stronger in the NBA than other leagues for obvious reasons. These guys don't have to just stay put and do whatever fans or the teams want.
            big fan of the casual insinuation that we're all racists. really solid argumentation there.

Comment

• Where I'm living with million dollars and where do I get to play a basketball game? Rich people problems

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

big fan of the casual insinuation that we're all racists. really solid argumentation there.
                Consider the source....

Comment

Where I'm living with million dollars and where do I get to play a basketball game? Rich people problems
                  lol. According to Shaolin (and Draymond Green), the NBA is no different from 1800s plantation owners and slaves.

Q:> Where does one apply for one of those slave job openings?

Comment

• I'm not calling them literally slaves, nor am I calling every fan a racist. If you want to strawman by deflecting to that, go for it.

My point is that fans have this weird "ownership" relationship with players where they feel they shouldn't be able to exert any influence or control over where their careers take them. Meanwhile the teams regularly flex their muscle and dictate where players go and people have no problem with it whatsoever.

Comment

Anthony Davis got fined for public demand of a trade. So saying they are not breaking rules is something.
                      5 million dollars for demanding a trade. Maybe that would make guys play out the contract they chose to sign.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        I'm not calling them literally slaves, nor am I calling every fan a racist. If you want to strawman by deflecting to that, go for it.

My point is that fans have this weird "ownership" relationship with players where they feel they shouldn't be able to exert any influence or control over where their careers take them. Meanwhile the teams regularly flex their muscle and dictate where players go and people have no problem with it whatsoever.
                        It’s not ownership. People admire players that are loyal and that play hard for their team. Do you want your best player to leave for LA when your New Orleans? Is that a slave/master relationship? Or maybe it’s just fans that care about their teams. Whether you like it or not these guys live in a different world than regular people. They make millions to play basketball. That doesn’t mean their lives are easier but it’s not the same as you moving from Toronto to New York for a nice new job. One person is not valuable in the real world like one can be in Sports. Drop the racism stuff, people are simply fans of the game and want a better product for fans across the league.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

It’s not ownership. People admire players that are loyal and that play hard for their team. Do you want your best player to leave for LA when your New Orleans? Is that a slave/master relationship? Or maybe it’s just fans that care about their teams. Whether you like it or not these guys live in a different world than regular people. They make millions to play basketball. That doesn’t mean their lives are easier but it’s not the same as you moving from Toronto to New York for a nice new job. One person is not valuable in the real world like one can be in Sports. Drop the racism stuff, people are simply fans of the game and want a better product for fans across the league.
                          I haven't even used the word racism. But people definitely have unconscious (or conscious in rarer cases) biases against black people and by extension black athletes. These aren't even debatable concepts, it's been found in multiple psychological research studies.

And I'm not saying you have to support or be happy about a player leaving. But players should have the right to voice their displeasure with their situation and ask to be traded somewhere else. Again, the team does not HAVE to honour the request, nor do they have to trade them where they want to be dealt. In fact often times they trade them somewhere they don't want to go out of spite or because that team is offering better assets.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

5 million dollars for demanding a trade. Maybe that would make guys play out the contract they chose to sign.
                            Why aren't teams required to keep the player for the duration of the contract then?

What's the difference?

Comment

• Fans would have the exact same complaints if the NHL got out of hand with strong arm tactics, trade demands, and free agency 'dream team' collusion. And that league is 98% white dudes.

In the instances players DO hold out and demand trades, in hockey, they usually get lambasted by fans and media. Tying this to race is bizarre. This is an entertainment industry issue, not a political one.
                              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Ok answer the damn question.

Why should a team be allowed to trade a player under contract but a player should not be allowed to demand or request a trade?

And btw for the guy who tried to make the argument it's against the rules. Only a PUBLIC trade demand is against the rules, a private one is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X