Everything Terence Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This years result doesn't change Masai's A+ grade at all. It's actually remarkable to lose the worlds best player and also lose Danny Green and still be as good as last year. Let's see if he can get us another superstar in the next few years.
    Oh I agree, it's just the long held notion that you (generally, almost without exception) need a superstar(s) to win it all is safe from negation....

Comment

I dunno, to me it's the opposite. Ujiri is the reason the tank debate is over. Back in 2012, 2013 we thought a team needed a top 2 or 3 pick to land a superstar. Since that time, Ujiri has won a title, lost arguably the worlds best player, and is back in contention. Don't look now, but Lowry could retire tomorrow and we've low key built another eastern conference contender thats still rising. There seems to be no end in sight to 50 wins.

To me, losing on purpose and suffering through all that is a complete misuse of your time when you have the worlds best NBA GM in Ujiri.
      Keep in mind the context of the argument. The idea is, if you don't have the talent yet, get it. Don't waste your time on reaching for mediocrity. The Raptors when Ujiri came in were ideal candidates for a tear down - lacked success, best players were a real risk to bolt the following summer, and Ujiri even legitimately decided to tear the team down midway through the season, including trading Lowry. They caught lightning in a bottle and Masai rode it out, and the winning that season was why they were able to re-sign Lowry, who is a borderline superstar with the way he drives wins. If that trade doesn't have a miraculous, and even unexpected by Masai himself, impact on the team's success, Masai almost certainly trades Lowry by the deadline because he was walking anyway and looks to get a high pick.

But if you are projecting to a home court spot, either currently or in the near future, there's no reason to tank. That was never a real argument. The point is if you don't currently have the talent to be a contender (home court playoff spot is a fair enough dividing line on that), then selling win-now pieces that aren't helping enough to load up on youth and get more/better draft assets is the most reasonable approach to take (assuming a direct trade for a superstar isn't available). An approach even Masai was ready to commit to before a stroke of luck helped him avoid that path. In other words, if you can become a contender without tanking, obviously that's the way to go. But that doesn't mean you always have that option available to you. And when it's not, it's far better to add assets to aid with that pursuit than to settle for aiming for a playoff berth with little upside to improve beyond that.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        This guy's a keeper, just give him minutes! How lucky have the Raps been with their picks and player development? Wow.
        It's amazing. It's like, who would you rather have for your future backcourt:

--Ntilikina, Sexton and Garland (picks #5, #5 and #8 on their draft)
        or
        --FVV, TD, Thomas (all undrafted)

To me it's not even close. It's a combination of luck, great scouting, and above all, outstanding player development culture.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

or

To me it's not even close. It's a combination of luck, great scouting, and above all, outstanding player development culture.
          Since the bruno whiff, masai has prioritized character and professionalism. Everybody we draft/bring in walks and talks like an nba ready grown man.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

or

Norm was a second rounder, just saying. Drafted by the Bucks but acquired by the Raps in the Grevis trade.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Since the bruno whiff, masai has prioritized character and professionalism. Everybody we draft/bring in walks and talks like an nba ready grown man.
              To be fair Masai was hoodwinked in Brazil by Bruno's agent.

He won't let that happen again. Raptors still got so many unproven talent like Brissett, Hernandez and Watson that are waiting to prove themselves they belong in this league.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

Norm was a second rounder, just saying. Drafted by the Bucks but acquired by the Raps in the Grevis trade.
                Yep. Norm is better than many first rounders that came into the league since 2015 when he was drafted. The draft is largely driven by college hype and is highly unpredictable.

The thing about high picks is that sometimes (not always of course), they come in entitled and/or with a lot of attention, pressure and fawning from the media, which is a distraction you don't need as a 19yr old trying to learn to be an NBA player. Whereas undrafted/later draft guys typically (again not always) come in hungry with a lot of work ethic and nose-to the-grind mentality, because they know if they don't hustle they're out of the league.

A draft class that will always be memorable to me is the 2017 one, where Fultz was the #1 pick and VanVleet was undrafted. One is an NBA champion with a finals MVP vote, and it's not the #1 pick.

Comment

• Also Raptors seem to have a bet on yourself/improve every summer culture that DeRozan built. It's his legacy
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I completely agree with that, DeRozan instilled a great work ethic in all the young guys. You can't take that away from him. He worked his ass off and improved every year.

Comment

I dunno, to me it's the opposite. Ujiri is the reason the tank debate is over. Back in 2012, 2013 we thought a team needed a top 2 or 3 pick to land a superstar. Since that time, Ujiri has won a title, lost arguably the worlds best player, and is back in contention. Don't look now, but Lowry could retire tomorrow and we've low key built another eastern conference contender thats still rising. There seems to be no end in sight to 50 wins.

To me, losing on purpose and suffering through all that is a complete misuse of your time when you have the worlds best NBA GM in Ujiri.
                      Preach brother.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

We should be careful to assign credit where due - the Raptors made the trade before Powell was picked, and the Bucks drafted him on Masai's orders (as draft picks aren't allowed to be traded on draft day until they are drafted). So, technically the Bucks did indeed draft Powell but it was Masai making the call. Point stands on the drafted/undrafted status of course.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded next year
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded next year
                            This thing is far more concerning to me than his play so far in the restart. Gotta get that young man's head on straight.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

This thing is far more concerning to me than his play so far in the restart. Gotta get that young man's head on straight.
                              Obviously, when you sign up for a bubble environment you have to follow the rules but if this is more concerning to you than his play you should feel very fortunate you don’t know what these guys do on their personal time on a weekly basis every season.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded next year
                                For this one thing or what else?

Comment

Working...
                                X