Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Cavs move the first overall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy idea, and highly unlikely, predicated on the assumption that there is mutual interest between Lowry & Lakers, to the point that Lowry wants to leave Toronto.

1. S&T Lowry to LAL for Nash & #7

2. Trade DeRozan for a top-10 pick (Sacramento's #8 pick is rumored to be available)

3. Package #7, #8 and #20 for #1

It would essentially amount to trading DeRozan & #20 for #1 & Nash, if Lowry is determined to walk. 2nd round picks (ie: #37, #59, future 2nd round picks) could be added as sweetener to any of the three trades, if need be.

Cleveland could then use or flip any combination of those picks, if they prefer to acquire an established veteran. I'm sure 2 1st round picks (at least one top-10 pick) would be almost as valuable in trade as their #1 pick, when looking to add a star player (ie: Love).

---

The other option would be to trade DeRozan & #7 (and likely either #37 or one of 2016 1st round picks) for #1, requiring only 2 deals.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 21, 2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Crazy idea, and highly unlikely, predicated on the assumption that there is mutual interest between Lowry & Lakers, to the point that Lowry wants to leave Toronto.

2. Trade DeRozan for a top-10 pick (Sacramento's #8 pick is rumored to be available)

It would essentially amount to trading DeRozan & #20 for #1 & Nash, if Lowry is determined to walk. 2nd round picks (ie: #37, #59, future 2nd round picks) could be added as sweetener to any of the three trades, if need be.

Cleveland could then use or flip any combination of those picks, if they prefer to acquire an established veteran. I'm sure 2 1st round picks (at least one top-10 pick) would be almost as valuable in trade as their #1 pick, when looking to add a star player (ie: Love).
      That might be enough to get a #1 pick but I don't think it's what Cleveland wants at all. If they're going to trade out of the #1 they're not going to do it to add 3 rookies to the roster, it'll be to add 1 superstar or 2 all-stars to a team that already has Kyrie Irving and a shit ton of young guys trying to learn the game.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        That might be enough to get a #1 pick but I don't think it's what Cleveland wants at all. If they're going to trade out of the #1 they're not going to do it to add 3 rookies to the roster, it'll be to add 1 superstar or 2 all-stars to a team that already has Kyrie Irving and a shit ton of young guys trying to learn the game.
        Could they flip 2 of those picks for the star player they covet, while still maintaining a 1st round pick?

I also edited my post where DeRozan & #7 was traded to Cleveland, as another option to get both an all-star player AND a top-10 pick.

Comment

---

The other option would be to trade DeRozan & #7 (and likely either #37 or one of 2016 1st round picks) for #1, requiring only 2 deals.
          This is very creative, but I don't think Cleveland would accept that final package in #3 for the pick, since they've talked about getting an established star for the pick. I don't think getting 3 lower rated prospects instead of one potential superstar is what they have in mind.

DeRozan and #7 they might pull the trigger on though... hmm. My thing is I then become hesitant about doing the trade. Really depends on who is there at #7. For example if Vonleh were to drop, would you rather have him AND DeRozan or just Wiggins? Tough choice.

Comment

Could they flip 2 of those picks for the star player they covet, while still maintaining a 1st round pick?

I also edited my post where DeRozan & #7 was traded to Cleveland, as another option to get both an all-star player AND a top-10 pick.
            Possibly

On the plus side if any team could mess up drafting Wiggins and trading the pick away it's the Cavs. Teams that stupid don't deserve this much luck.

I think our best bet for a team willing to trade #1 would've been if Lakers got 1st overall and did a Lowry S&T, plus Derozan, plus #20 for Nash and #1.

Comment

---

Issue with that is S+T's can't occur until July 10th. So all the teams involved would have to pick for eachother, relying on a handshake deal with 4 different teams to hold up over 2 weeks. Too difficult, especially with the cap unknown until then.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Issue with that is S+T's can't occur until July 10th. So all the teams involved would have to pick for eachother, relying on a handshake deal with 4 different teams to hold up over 2 weeks. Too difficult, especially with the cap unknown until then.
                Oh yeah I forgot about that.

So yeah CRF's plan is completely impossible unfortunately.

Comment

I think if it was any other year there would be a chance.

Comment

I can see them trading down if they don't like Wiggins and one of the teams in the top 10 is willing to give up a lot. If they swap picks with Boston and Boston also gives us their #1 next year, plus another future first rounder, I can see that happening.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      The last time the 1st overall pick was traded was over 20 years ago in the 1993 draft, and the trade was:

#1 pick (Chris Webber) for #3 pick, and 3 future 1st rounders.

Aside from that I couldn't find a draft where the 1st overall pick has been straight up traded to another team. Teams have traded it by accident before (Clippers traded it mid-season to Cleveland when they got Kyrie) though.

Basically we're not getting that pick. You guys should save yourself the trouble and stop fantasizing about it because it's not going to happen. I could see the pick being traded, but that would be for a superstar or maybe a trade with Philly/Milwaukee or one of the other teams with very high picks.
                      Yeah, I think that's also the only type of deal that would be likely.

For instance, I could see Philly sending the #3 and #10 picks in this draft, plus more if needs, in order to move up to #1. This way, say Cleveland prefers Parker for the chance to make a more immediate impact. Maybe they don't know who to choose between Embiid and Wiggins, and combined with wanting to win now, are willing to gamble passing on them for the guy considered to be the most "sure" thing of the 3.

And in the process, get probably a couple more assets on top of it. There could be another very good player at #10, and if they get another future 1st, that's a pretty good haul, and would give them more flexibility to move current young pieces for vets if they want.

Comment

Whatever happens... I just really hope Wiggins isn't a Cavalier next season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, I think that's also the only type of deal that would be likely.

For instance, I could see Philly sending the #3 and #10 picks in this draft, plus more if needs, in order to move up to #1. This way, say Cleveland prefers Parker for the chance to make a more immediate impact. Maybe they don't know who to choose between Embiid and Wiggins, and combined with wanting to win now, are willing to gamble passing on them for the guy considered to be the most "sure" thing of the 3.

And in the process, get probably a couple more assets on top of it. There could be another very good player at #10, and if they get another future 1st, that's a pretty good haul, and would give them more flexibility to move current young pieces for vets if they want.
                          Yup, if Philly knows who their guy is out of Wiggins/Embiid/Parker, they could make that kind of deal to move up and secure him. Cleveland could use that 10th pick to get a veteran impact guy like you said.

They're not going to entertain the offers being fantasized in this thread over one like that.

Comment

I can literally create a narrative about almost any team winning the #1 overall pick. Stop being a conspiracy theorist. The risk involved in the league rigging the draft is much greater than the reward of the "buzz" they would create by making Cleveland a better team.

If these teams won the lottery:

Bucks - The league made a deal with the new owners to give them the #1 so they would buy the team
                            76ers - Restoring one of the historically great franchises

Magic - The Magic just lost Dwight recently and need a superstar to replace him

Jazz - K gonna be honest, couldn't think of one here.

Boston - Restoring one of the great franchises, replacing the big 3 with a superstar talent

Lakers - Same as Boston, finding a successor for Kobe and reviving major market.

Sacramento - After the team almost got moved to Seattle giving them a superstar to bring back great basketball in one of the best fan bases in the league when the team is good.

Charlotte - Rebranding to the Hornets, give them a superstar to kick-start the rebrand. (Although this pick would've gone to Detroit if it was #1. In which case, reviving the city of Detroit after it became bankrupt).

Denver - Lost Melo a few years back, giving them a replacement. Also basically had their franchise stripped down with the loss of their coach and GM, so there's that too.

Minnesota - Keeping Love in Minnesota to maintain parity.

Phoenix - Making a statement against tanking and rewarding a team that won 48 games with the #1 overall pick.
                            Came up with one for Utah.

Utah gets the #1 pick so they can draft Mormon superstar, Jabari Parker.

Point is the draft isn't rigged and conspiracy theorists need to calm down.

Comment

Every single draft has been rigged lol if you look hard enough

2014: Cavs get #1 because they lost LeBron
                              2013: Cavs get #1 because they lost LeBron
                              2012: Hornets (now Pelicans) get #1 after losing CP3, team owned by the NBA at the time.
                              2011: Cavs get #1 year after losing LeBron
                              2010: Wizards get #1 after gun fiasco with Arenas and Crittenton, also owner died I believe
                              2009: Clippers get #1 pick to put another superstar in 2nd largest media market in the league, spark LAC-LAL rivalry
                              2008: Bulls get #1 pick to pick Chicago-born superstar
                              2007: Blazers get #1 pick, league new Oden would get hurt, continuing legacy of Blazers stars getting injured
                              2006: Raptors get #1 pick, weak class, first year without HS players, NBA hates Toronto, etc
                              2005: Bucks get #1 pick, Gary Payton and Ray Allen had just left recently, getting another star to join Redd in MIL... lol
                              2004: Orlando gets #1 pick, suffered through loss of TMac and injuries to Grant Hill, rewarded with Dwight
                              2003: Cleveland gets #1 pick, Ohio-born superstar and "next Jordan" goes to hometown team.

Could keep going but I'm getting bored.

Comment

Every single draft has been rigged lol if you look hard enough

2014: Cavs get #1 because they lost LeBron
                                2013: Cavs get #1 because they lost LeBron
                                2012: Hornets (now Pelicans) get #1 after losing CP3, team owned by the NBA at the time.
                                2011: Cavs get #1 year after losing LeBron
                                2010: Wizards get #1 after gun fiasco with Arenas and Crittenton, also owner died I believe
                                2009: Clippers get #1 pick to put another superstar in 2nd largest media market in the league, spark LAC-LAL rivalry
                                2008: Bulls get #1 pick to pick Chicago-born superstar
                                2007: Blazers get #1 pick, league new Oden would get hurt, continuing legacy of Blazers stars getting injured
                                2006: Raptors get #1 pick, weak class, first year without HS players, NBA hates Toronto, etc
                                2005: Bucks get #1 pick, Gary Payton and Ray Allen had just left recently, getting another star to join Redd in MIL... lol
                                2004: Orlando gets #1 pick, suffered through loss of TMac and injuries to Grant Hill, rewarded with Dwight
                                2003: Cleveland gets #1 pick, Ohio-born superstar and "next Jordan" goes to hometown team.

Could keep going but I'm getting bored.
                                oh, now I see why we should have tanked because the NBA would have certainly rigged the draft for us to get Wiggins!!

Comment

Working...
                                X