Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Cavs move the first overall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• umop apisdn
    replied
    I can see them trading down if they don't like Wiggins and one of the teams in the top 10 is willing to give up a lot. If they swap picks with Boston and Boston also gives us their #1 next year, plus another future first rounder, I can see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• Sig
    replied
    I think if it was any other year there would be a chance.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Issue with that is S+T's can't occur until July 10th. So all the teams involved would have to pick for eachother, relying on a handshake deal with 4 different teams to hold up over 2 weeks. Too difficult, especially with the cap unknown until then.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that.

So yeah CRF's plan is completely impossible unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Crazy idea, and highly unlikely, predicated on the assumption that there is mutual interest between Lowry & Lakers, to the point that Lowry wants to leave Toronto.

1. S&T Lowry to LAL for Nash & #7

2. Trade DeRozan for a top-10 pick (Sacramento's #8 pick is rumored to be available)

3. Package #7, #8 and #20 for #1

It would essentially amount to trading DeRozan & #20 for #1 & Nash, if Lowry is determined to walk. 2nd round picks (ie: #37, #59, future 2nd round picks) could be added as sweetener to any of the three trades, if need be.

Cleveland could then use or flip any combination of those picks, if they prefer to acquire an established veteran. I'm sure 2 1st round picks (at least one top-10 pick) would be almost as valuable in trade as their #1 pick, when looking to add a star player (ie: Love).

---

The other option would be to trade DeRozan & #7 (and likely either #37 or one of 2016 1st round picks) for #1, requiring only 2 deals.
    Issue with that is S+T's can't occur until July 10th. So all the teams involved would have to pick for eachother, relying on a handshake deal with 4 different teams to hold up over 2 weeks. Too difficult, especially with the cap unknown until then.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    Could they flip 2 of those picks for the star player they covet, while still maintaining a 1st round pick?

I also edited my post where DeRozan & #7 was traded to Cleveland, as another option to get both an all-star player AND a top-10 pick.
    Possibly

On the plus side if any team could mess up drafting Wiggins and trading the pick away it's the Cavs. Teams that stupid don't deserve this much luck.

I think our best bet for a team willing to trade #1 would've been if Lakers got 1st overall and did a Lowry S&T, plus Derozan, plus #20 for Nash and #1.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    Crazy idea, and highly unlikely, predicated on the assumption that there is mutual interest between Lowry & Lakers, to the point that Lowry wants to leave Toronto.

2. Trade DeRozan for a top-10 pick (Sacramento's #8 pick is rumored to be available)

It would essentially amount to trading DeRozan & #20 for #1 & Nash, if Lowry is determined to walk. 2nd round picks (ie: #37, #59, future 2nd round picks) could be added as sweetener to any of the three trades, if need be.

Cleveland could then use or flip any combination of those picks, if they prefer to acquire an established veteran. I'm sure 2 1st round picks (at least one top-10 pick) would be almost as valuable in trade as their #1 pick, when looking to add a star player (ie: Love).

---

The other option would be to trade DeRozan & #7 (and likely either #37 or one of 2016 1st round picks) for #1, requiring only 2 deals.
    This is very creative, but I don't think Cleveland would accept that final package in #3 for the pick, since they've talked about getting an established star for the pick. I don't think getting 3 lower rated prospects instead of one potential superstar is what they have in mind.

DeRozan and #7 they might pull the trigger on though... hmm. My thing is I then become hesitant about doing the trade. Really depends on who is there at #7. For example if Vonleh were to drop, would you rather have him AND DeRozan or just Wiggins? Tough choice.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    That might be enough to get a #1 pick but I don't think it's what Cleveland wants at all. If they're going to trade out of the #1 they're not going to do it to add 3 rookies to the roster, it'll be to add 1 superstar or 2 all-stars to a team that already has Kyrie Irving and a shit ton of young guys trying to learn the game.
    Could they flip 2 of those picks for the star player they covet, while still maintaining a 1st round pick?

I also edited my post where DeRozan & #7 was traded to Cleveland, as another option to get both an all-star player AND a top-10 pick.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied

That might be enough to get a #1 pick but I don't think it's what Cleveland wants at all. If they're going to trade out of the #1 they're not going to do it to add 3 rookies to the roster, it'll be to add 1 superstar or 2 all-stars to a team that already has Kyrie Irving and a shit ton of young guys trying to learn the game.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied

---

Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 21, 2014, 01:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    Jamshid wrote: View Post
    The Lebron Story, their biggest star is just writing itself .... Come on man, Don't be so naive.
    I can literally create a narrative about almost any team winning the #1 overall pick. Stop being a conspiracy theorist. The risk involved in the league rigging the draft is much greater than the reward of the "buzz" they would create by making Cleveland a better team.

If these teams won the lottery:

Bucks - The league made a deal with the new owners to give them the #1 so they would buy the team
    76ers - Restoring one of the historically great franchises

Magic - The Magic just lost Dwight recently and need a superstar to replace him

Jazz - K gonna be honest, couldn't think of one here.

Boston - Restoring one of the great franchises, replacing the big 3 with a superstar talent

Lakers - Same as Boston, finding a successor for Kobe and reviving major market.

Sacramento - After the team almost got moved to Seattle giving them a superstar to bring back great basketball in one of the best fan bases in the league when the team is good.

Charlotte - Rebranding to the Hornets, give them a superstar to kick-start the rebrand. (Although this pick would've gone to Detroit if it was #1. In which case, reviving the city of Detroit after it became bankrupt).

Denver - Lost Melo a few years back, giving them a replacement. Also basically had their franchise stripped down with the loss of their coach and GM, so there's that too.

Minnesota - Keeping Love in Minnesota to maintain parity.

Phoenix - Making a statement against tanking and rewarding a team that won 48 games with the #1 overall pick.

Leave a comment:

• Jamshid
    replied
    imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    The NBA draft is not rigged, calm down.

Why the hell would the NBA and the numerous business and accounting firms associated with the lottery give the number one pick to the cavs three out of four years. Listen to yourself man you sound like a tin hatter.
    The Lebron Story, their biggest star is just writing itself .... Come on man, Don't be so naive.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    Jamshid wrote: View Post
    They can totally move this pick because they are bunch of idiots. They can also do a Greg Oden/KD and pick Embiid with the bad back ahead of Wiggens or Parker and pay for it for years to come.

One thing for sure is that NBA is dying to make a Cinderella story for their Fav son Lebron ... The draft is almost becoming BS and it is all about getting Lebron ton of young talent, so he can go home and get the Cavs a title and also make NBA ton of money.

Now, can Raptors get the number one : ABSOLUTELY NOT . We do not have the asset or talent to get that pick.
    The NBA draft is not rigged, calm down.

Why the hell would the NBA and the numerous business and accounting firms associated with the lottery give the number one pick to the cavs three out of four years. Listen to yourself man you sound like a tin hatter.

Leave a comment:

• Jamshid
    replied
    They can totally move this pick because they are bunch of idiots. They can also do a Greg Oden/KD and pick Embiid with the bad back ahead of Wiggens or Parker and pay for it for years to come.

One thing for sure is that NBA is dying to make a Cinderella story for their Fav son Lebron ... The draft is almost becoming BS and it is all about getting Lebron ton of young talent, so he can go home and get the Cavs a title and also make NBA ton of money.

Now, can Raptors get the number one : ABSOLUTELY NOT . We do not have the asset or talent to get that pick.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Funny.
    I'm confused, I didn't get offended simply defended my statement.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Actually you can use history, because it tells you the value that is typically placed on a #1 overall selection.
    Funny.

Why do you get so offended every time someone disagrees with you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X