X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspenders
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post

Add in the normal desire of a rising Canadian star to play in their home country and the Raptors have two pathways towards harvesting a great player that might go some way to countering the "playing in a foreign country" meme that has making the rounds in the NBA since day 1.
    During the finals, RJ Barret was interviewed and they asked him "so which team do you have?" and he says, "well I'm from Toronto, so the Toronto Raptors!".

Maybe... just maybe, we'll have situations where a group of elite Canadians will just tell their current teams "f' ya'll, I'm going home".

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Kuh wrote: View Post
    Let’s look at it from his point of view:
    - organization with good/stellar reputation
    - who just won the league
    ​​​​​​- led by a president with your nationality (Nigerian)
    - who knew and was chasing you before you were drafted
    - who just wants to win and has built a team to succeed now and in the future
    ​​​​​​- whose personal mission is spreading your sport in your home continent
    - with a number two star from your neighbouring country (Siakam from Cameroon)
    - in a city with the largest fan base from your second country (Greece) in the league
    - with far more money and a far bigger market than your current club
    - whose marketing is built around glorifying being outsiders in a US league
    - in a league where the top stars feel more and more free to be ‘selfish’ in picking their club

We’ve got to be near the top of his list ...
    I don't know where the Raptors would be in anybody's list, but there is something to be said for marketing what is unique about Toronto to any players that might listen. Masai referenced it in his after championship presser. Toronto can aspire to be "The World's Team" simply by virtue of being outside the US. By purposefully targetting international players and fans, it might be possible to get into their heads. Just as some current stars were fans of the Raptors during the Vince years, and imagined about playing for the Raptors, it might give you a slight advantage. With strong role players, which the Raptors seem to be able to find/develop, one mega star was enough to get it done this past season. Two could be enough to get it done in the future. Even a 1A and a 1B.

Add in the normal desire of a rising Canadian star to play in their home country and the Raptors have two pathways towards harvesting a great player that might go some way to countering the "playing in a foreign country" meme that has making the rounds in the NBA since day 1.

Leave a comment:

• 2KJ
    replied
    I think he bolts if Milwaukee doesn't win any time soon. They have the biggest chance this year to make it since Kawhi left although I think they got weaker when they lost Brogdon and Mirotic. Although you got 2 rising teams in LA also gunning for the chip this year.

That being said, I hope we don't act desperate like the Lakers and Knicks thinking just because their team is from their cities, everyone wants to go there.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    I'd kinda prefer Raptors fans don't go the way of Lakers and Clippers fans, obsessing over another player's star with a kinda entitled attitude about it (not calling out anyone here, just an attitude I've seen from Raptors fans elsewhere). If things line up for Masai to make a pitch to Giannis, great. If not, 2021 is still a really good draft class that's worth clearing space for.

Leave a comment:

• Fuchan
    replied
    Who knows, I doubt Giannis comes. Alll the same, looking forward to seeing what Masai can pull off. So happy he is staying, the guy is a killer.

Leave a comment:

• iblastoff
    replied
    if the league has truly turned power over to big time players versus team pitches, then i don't think giannis will be coming here unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    Can RR be called out for "tampering"....
    Tampering doesn't exist anymore. League officials trying to enforce anti-tampering is like mall cops trying to defuse a nuclear warhead.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    - in a city with the largest fan base from your second country (Greece) in the league
    - in a league where the top stars feel more and more free to be ‘selfish’ in picking their club

i mean when you put it this way the bucks would be stupid not to just trade him to us now so they don't lose the asset for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    They certainly have a history.

But the gameplanning for 2021 can't rely on just Giannis coming. It's always a safer bet for a star to stay, unless they've already made noise asking for trades. But there's a huge free agent class in 2021, and so Giannis as a plan A makes sense, because there's a decent number of plan B's - all of whom can be chased at the same time if you take care of your cap situation, and even pitched on pairing with Giannis/each other if they agree to come.
    At the very least the Raps are probably going to get a meeting which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    We would need to attract 2 prime FA to make Giannis one of them imo .... added to Pascal and OG.
    $80M to spend is only 2 prime FA these days.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    From what Magic said and the Lakers got away with, no... Not unless Masai is on the forum at the same time we make the pitch.

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied

This reminds me of how we talked ourselves into being near the top of KD's list... and then we didn't even get a meeting.

The Bucks just signed his brother. We would be able to offer less guaranteed money. If they stay, three of our key players will be near the end of their careers in two years. If not, we will have big holes to fill.

It's a nice dream to have but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Leave a comment:

• Kuh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    They certainly have a history.

But the gameplanning for 2021 can't rely on just Giannis coming. It's always a safer bet for a star to stay, unless they've already made noise asking for trades. But there's a huge free agent class in 2021, and so Giannis as a plan A makes sense, because there's a decent number of plan B's - all of whom can be chased at the same time if you take care of your cap situation, and even pitched on pairing with Giannis/each other if they agree to come.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X