Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So….after a long hiatus.

Really Really Really hope everyone on this board, like me, just doesn’t have a family member or a friend or business acquaintance in your circle that has contracted Covid. Continue doing whatever it is your doing to continue to avoid infection. Please don't be afraid to come out of your house or condo as restrictions lift. We are not a nation of cowards.

So at this point in time we likely would have seen the first round of the NBA playoffs wrapped up and would be anxiously awaiting to watch the second round kick off..

In the East… we would likely have seen the following matchups.
    At least in my weed and alcohol abused world . So what happened ?

Bucks vs Nets (yes the Nets choked down the stretch)
    The Bucks wiped the floor with the Nets. Out in four not even remotely close games the Nets begin prepping for the 2021 season where both Durant and Irving are ready. How that works out remains to be seen. This year however, with or without Kyrie, the Nets show they are pretty lame stuff and get pummelled by the Bucks. A curb stomping.

Raps vs Magic
    The Raps oust the Magic in 5 games despite losing game 3 on the road to Disneys best. Without Jonathan Issac Orlando has NO ONE who can stay with Siakam and he runs amok. Kyle owns an up and coming Markel Fultz and Vuc enters therapy after another series with Marc Gasol. The Raps put a beatdown on the Magic.

Clitlicks vs Pacers
    Bill Simmons team once again takes on the Hosiers but it goes the full 7 this year as opposed to last year. Victor Olidipo finds his bearings and wins games 3 and 4 at home all by himself. Lithuanias own Domantas Sabonis comes up big and owns Kanter in game 6 to force game 7 in the scrubby grimy eastern backwater that is Boston. Jaylen Brown has a 30+ point game 7 playoff performance but it is overshadowed by a Tony Brothers no call in overtime that propels the Chowderheads to a 1 point win in overtime. How Chowders is that. Getting by on a dubious call by the NBA refs.

Heat vs Hinkies.
    A heavyweight scrap to be sure. The best series in the East. It was a fouling on every possession slugfest that went 6 games. Despite no Ben Simmons the Hinkies get by the Heat and survive and advance. No one saw that rookie shooting sensation Duncan Robinson could be shut down for an entire series in the playoffs by the Hinkies but he was. Bam Adebyo, despite the incredibly loose NBA playoff whistle, would still continue to foul on just about every defensive possession but in an upset of biblical proportions he got called for them and had to sit for long stretches.The clock also struck midnight on the "Dragon" Goran Dragic and he came up as empty as a Trudeau promise. Jimmy Butler maintained his record of never getting out the second round despite averaging 20-10 and 7 a game. The Heat are who you think they are. Try hards with not enough talent to move the needle when the light shines at its brightest. Pat Reilly took out his Danny Ainge voodoo doll and began to stick pins in it as therapy. Yes everyone hates the Chowders.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon May 11, 2020, 04:04 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• if we can’t actually watch the playoffs, reading DS’s completely objective rundown of how they proceeded in his mind is the next best thing.

i’m honestly surprised the chowders prevailed in round 1 of this fantasy. i can only imagine it’s set up to have the hometown hero’s demolish them in four games by an average of 25 points, ending with a bill simmons meltdown live on his own podcast.

what happened out west?
      Last edited by chris; Mon May 11, 2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
        if we can’t actually watch the playoffs, reading DS’s completely objective rundown of how they proceeded in his mind is the next best thing.

i’m honestly surprised the chowders prevailed in round 1 of this fantasy. i can only imagine it’s set up to have the hometown hero’s demolish them in four games by an average of 25 points, ending with a bill simmons meltdown live on his own podcast.

what happened out west?
        as always.....I am completely objective
        - TGO

Comment

• 2nd Round in The East

Bucks vs Hinkies
          Another classic battle of two top 10 teams in the NBA takes place in the Eastern semis. Embiid gets the better of the Alphabet twice at home. Simmons and Harris make the shots they have make and make them when they have to go in at home in games 3 and 4. However, the year long inability to win away from the WellsFargo Centre bites the Hinkies in the ass as they get crushed by the Bucks in the FiServe Forum in game 5 blowing all the momentum they built in games 3 and 4. The end for the Hinkies comes at home in game 6 when the Alphabet finally gets the better of Embiid at home, Simmons gets into foul trouble early and turns the ball over 6 times as he tries to win the game singlehandedly in his limited minutes. In total the Hinkies turn it over 21 times as a team in yet another soul sucking second round loss.

Brett Brown puts his house up for sale that night and Elton Brand has to start making and taking some calls to gauge price points for his two max players. After years of trying everything to make it work between two guys who need the ball all the time the Hinkies have to part with one of their process draft picks or be doomed to groundhog day in the NBA playoffs for the foreseeable future.

Raps vs Chowders
          Six of the best wings in the East and for some the best in the NBA showcase another Eastern Conference semi final matchup between another two top 10 in the NBA teams. Siakam, Brown, Powell, Hayward, Anunoby and Tatum go at it hammer and tong all series long. They do it all from finishing it up inside and making enough shots outside the arc to keep the defenders on their heels while playing spandex like tight defense all night long. The Chowders over the series win this battle.

Kyle and Smart show why they are the guys you absolutely have to have in your uniform instead of Kyrie Irving to win the games that matter in the spring and summer in the NBA playoffs. Kyle gets the better of Smart for probably the last time in his career. It was KLOE time.
          The difference between the teams is most apparent at the 5 where Serge Ibalka eats Kanter and Theiss alive on the offenseive end while Marc Gasol keeps Kanter off the offensive glass and makes enough shots from the arc that the Celtics bigs cannot sag off to shut down the space that’s afforded to both Powell and Siakam to take the ball to the basket.

Both teams hold serve on home court and produce an incredibly close series with only one blowout. It’s the best ball we have seen all season long. Fans are starting to believe again. However inside the dressing room the Raps players are a tired lot. Maximum energy has been expended to take out the Chowders in seven long tough games and looming on the horizon is the new King of the East and he is from Milwaukee.

- TGO

Comment

• I feel like I was there!

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
              if we can’t actually watch the playoffs, reading DS’s completely objective rundown of how they proceeded in his mind is the next best thing.

what happened out west?
              Getting in touch with my inner ESPN.... Are there teams out west ?

- TGO

Comment

• As we now start to pick up speed towards reopening our worlds.... the NBA is going to resume play July 31.

It looks like this will be one of the most unique championships the NBA has had in its history including the strike shortened seasons. Regardless of who wins it all this year there will be a big fat asterisk next to the NBA 2019-20 champions (save for either of the Lakers or Boston).

So in what looks like a 35 game or so run that will decide who wins it all you start to wonder which factors might play a bigger role in an abbreviated NCAA tourney type post season. Who has the best chance to win 16 games first.

To me.. I think that whichever teams are in the best physical shape after being off for about 4 months. Younger and deeper teams might fare the best right out of the gate and it could carry into the first round of the playoffs where upsets rarely happen but this year we might see a couple of teams in the top 4 from each conference take an early exit.

Playing defense is about 80% effort. As offenses ramp up (remember those foul fest clunkers early in the season as players and schemes find their grooves before the 20 game mark) who plays defense is going to be important.

Its a tourney on a neutral court so which teams played consistent ball at home and away from home before the break is a big factor.

In the East those teams look like the Heat, Raps, Chowders,Pacers and Bucks.

Philly is not a consistent team and how good a shape Joel Cheeseburger Embiid is in right now and how well Simmons back has healed put them in tier 2 for me. The first round upset victim. Whoever squeaks in from Orlando, Nets and Wiz will be first round roadkill.

So... most likely to be in the ECF finals are two of the Raps / Bucks / Chowders.

- TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Its a tourney on a neutral court so which teams played consistent ball at home and away from home before the break is a big factor.

This is huge and not being talked about enough, I think. Some teams depend so heavily on home court advantage (Philly is Ex. A here, but see also Utah and Denver in the West).

Being a good road team, with all the discipline, team chemistry and other intangibles that go into it, will be huge for any title run this year. As good as the Raps home court is, I think they have shown they are a dominant force on the road. Look at those west coast trips.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

It looks like this will be one of the most unique championships the NBA has had in its history including the strike shortened seasons. Regardless of who wins it all this year there will be a big fat asterisk next to the NBA 2019-20 champions (save for either of the Lakers or Boston).
                    I'm not sure of the whole asterisked concept at all for this season but if it's there, the Lakers would have it as well.
                    -lebron hasn't win in years and needed a fixed-collusion team again PLUS the COVID season to win another chip. Dbl asterisk lol

And why did you include Boston? A team that didn't even reach the finals when they were favourites last season but would win in the COVID shortened season? Even without Kyrie....Asterisk.

Maybe the only team that wouldn't deserve one would be Golden State since they have the proven ability and now without Durant pull off another one; tough to say that COVID was the reason. I think the same for the Raps, proven they could do it and repeat without Kawhi.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post

This is huge and not being talked about enough, I think. Some teams depend so heavily on home court advantage (Philly is Ex. A here, but see also Utah and Denver in the West).

Being a good road team, with all the discipline, team chemistry and other intangibles that go into it, will be huge for any title run this year. As good as the Raps home court is, I think they have shown they are a dominant force on the road. Look at those west coast trips.
                      Could work both ways. There’s no road intimidation factor, so a team like Philly might be more relaxed in a neutral environment.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'm not sure of the whole asterisked concept at all for this season but if it's there, the Lakers would have it as well.
                        -lebron hasn't win in years and needed a fixed-collusion team again PLUS the COVID season to win another chip. Dbl asterisk lol

And why did you include Boston? A team that didn't even reach the finals when they were favourites last season but would win in the COVID shortened season? Even without Kyrie....Asterisk.

Maybe the only team that wouldn't deserve one would be Golden State since they have the proven ability and now without Durant pull off another one; tough to say that COVID was the reason. I think the same for the Raps, proven they could do it and repeat without Kawhi.

The asterisk comes from my unshakable belief that unless one of the bluebloods of the NBA (Boston or Da Lakers) wins this years NBA title both the NBA MSM and the Hot Take Central cartoon characters will go on for months about how it wasn't a real NBA season and title.

Unshakable belief.
                        How unshakable ?

As unshakable as the biweekly Skip Bayless Lebron sucks rants.
                        Set your watch to it.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 9, 2020, 03:48 PM.
                        - TGO

Comment

Working...
                        X