Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm thinking we'll have to be much stronger on the boards this season without Kawhi and Danny. OG seemed like a poor rebounder, Gasol and Serge alone were pretty weak in this area as well. Without Kawhi's efficiency of offense and all around great defense the Rap's will need to find a clear advantage elsewhere. I think they will go big to at least start the season.
    Rebounding was and will continue to be mostly terrible on this team. With Kawhi and Danny gone, Serge will be decent when he tries, Marc doesn't care and Lowry will put his body in harm's way to snag a few. It was frustrating in the early rounds this playoffs against teams that actually rebound and will very likely continue to be frustrating as a couple of the old vets they brought in to warm the bench and occasionally provide some energy and rebounding are gonzo. Let's see what the young guys can do.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      So who makes the biggest splash in the coming season... There are degrees of splash and start points for the Raps ...Heres a look at guys who can win the BIG SPLASH vote.

Norm Powell. How can Norm who has been with the team for years be a candidate for the Big Splash ? Norm can become whats eluded him so far in his carrer. Consistency. He saw what an impact Danny Green made .. Can Norm find that intangible that will cement him into the Raps roster for years to come. To bring what he showed vs the Bucks in the ECF. He does that and he is a candidate for the BS award.

Stanley Johnson . Like Aaron Gordon Stan came from Arizona more athlete than ball player. Gordon has found it in Orlando. Stan is now on his 3rd team in 5 years. He has the NBA body. He has the athletiscm... Can Stan find a role where he can excel and salvage is career. He has a chance in Toronto.

Chris Boucher .Chris has never seen a shot from the arc he didn't think he had a better chance of making than passing the ball off to someone else who might have a better one. Thing is he makes a lot of them. Chris has done all he can do in the D League. He owns it... If he puts up a bazillion shots over the summer and shows he can do it on a 36-38% basis.. Chris will be a rotation player and a candidate for the BS award.

OG Anunoby OG's third year. The year most players show they belong in the league or should make sure their passports and travel documents are in order. OG can win the Big Splash award if he can develop better handles. than he has shown so far in order to get the threat of a drive or iso game off the bounce. He has a 3 point shot. He has more honing work to do rather than development on that aspect. If OG can make the 3 at 35% and show he can get to the rim on his own he too can win the BS award.

So the voting is open and so is the floor for other candidates.

My vote goes to Chris Boucher.... Anyone who can make his way to the NBA from washing dishes in Cote St Luc has got drive and determination..
      I'm expecting the award to go to....

The synchronized Big Splash Team of Norman Powell, OG Anunaby, Chris Boucher and Terence Davis.

Basketball is a team game. No reason making Big Splashes can't be a team effort. And no reason there can't be multiple splashers. This is the season for those four guys to step up, and set the Raptors up for a big free agency splash in 2021.

Comment

So who makes the biggest splash in the coming season... There are degrees of splash and start points for the Raps ...Heres a look at guys who can win the BIG SPLASH vote.

Norm Powell. How can Norm who has been with the team for years be a candidate for the Big Splash ? Norm can become whats eluded him so far in his carrer. Consistency. He saw what an impact Danny Green made .. Can Norm find that intangible that will cement him into the Raps roster for years to come. To bring what he showed vs the Bucks in the ECF. He does that and he is a candidate for the BS award.

Stanley Johnson . Like Aaron Gordon Stan came from Arizona more athlete than ball player. Gordon has found it in Orlando. Stan is now on his 3rd team in 5 years. He has the NBA body. He has the athletiscm... Can Stan find a role where he can excel and salvage is career. He has a chance in Toronto.

Chris Boucher .Chris has never seen a shot from the arc he didn't think he had a better chance of making than passing the ball off to someone else who might have a better one. Thing is he makes a lot of them. Chris has done all he can do in the D League. He owns it... If he puts up a bazillion shots over the summer and shows he can do it on a 36-38% basis.. Chris will be a rotation player and a candidate for the BS award.

OG Anunoby OG's third year. The year most players show they belong in the league or should make sure their passports and travel documents are in order. OG can win the Big Splash award if he can develop better handles. than he has shown so far in order to get the threat of a drive or iso game off the bounce. He has a 3 point shot. He has more honing work to do rather than development on that aspect. If OG can make the 3 at 35% and show he can get to the rim on his own he too can win the BS award.

My vote goes to Chris Boucher.... Anyone who can make his way to the NBA from washing dishes in Cote St Luc has got drive and determination..
        Matt "nothin' but net" Thomas. You got him running to the corner 3 on the break while Siakam runs into the gut of the D, there's not much the opposing D can do. On the half court you run pin-downs for him a-la JJ Redick with Gasol & Lowry finding him, it'll rain. I can see Nurse having a lot of fun with this team.

Comment

I vote OG. I never really liked him playing the 4 seemed like he just couldnt find a groove.The few time he did get minutes at the 3 he looked miles better. I expect him to be the starting 3 to begin the season. I think he will be able to get lots of boards with pascal leaking out for transition buckets and their will be some shots to go around with kawhi and danny out of the starting lineup
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
            We
            Matt "nothin' but net" Thomas. You got him running to the corner 3 on the break while Siakam runs into the gut of the D, there's not much the opposing D can do. On the half court you run pin-downs for him a-la JJ Redick with Gasol & Lowry finding him, it'll rain. I can see Nurse having a lot of fun with this team.
            I didn't include him because I have never seen him play. a single minute.

By rep he is a Korver / Reddick hopeful...so as good a call as any on him winning the Big Splash award.

Camp is 60 days away in Quebec City at Laval....
            We get a better look at all the beauty contestants on the Big Splash contest runway then...
            Hoping there are many many tough calls on who wins
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Aug 1, 2019, 12:54 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

I didn't include him because I have never seen him play. a single minute.

By rep he is a Korver / Reddick hopeful...so as good a call as any on him winning the Big Splash award.

Camp is 60 days away in Quebec City at Laval....
              We get a better look at all the beauty contestants on the Big Splash contest runway then...
              Hoping there are many many tough calls on who wins
              I know our offseason is usually A LOT longer but 60 days feels like a long ways away.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I know our offseason is usually A LOT longer but 60 days feels like a long ways away.
                It is... Its just August. and we are about out of things to analyse..or pick scabs over.

I think I am going to go off the grid for a while as well and take the annual trip to the lakes and bush country of Northern Ontario with Jr. Shift and Jr.Jr Shift to drown worms and and eat food Mrs Shift has banned including deep fried fish over an open fire...

Going off grid is easier said than done...as the election is heating up and the disinformation is breathtaking and lord knows I got a point of view...but going to have at it....

Stay well Goldblum ... have a great summer ...
                - TGO

Comment

• bertarapsfan;n1311966.I think he will be able to get lots of boards with pascal leaking out for transition buckets and [B wrote:
                  their [/B]will be some shots to go around with kawhi and danny out of the starting lineup
                  Grammar nazi alert. The bold their is improperly used. Proper word is there.” Their” assumes a possessive as in their shots will fall.

Comment

It is... Its just August. and we are about out of things to analyse..or pick scabs over.

I think I am going to go off the grid for a while as well and take the annual trip to the lakes and bush country of Northern Ontario with Jr. Shift and Jr.Jr Shift to drown worms and and eat food Mrs Shift has banned including deep fried fish over an open fire...

Going off grid is easier said than done...as the election is heating up and the disinformation is breathtaking and lord knows I got a point of view...but going to have at it....

Stay well Goldblum ... have a great summer ...
                    Still warm in the East. as August grinds to a close.
                    This is French River Country in the north and east. Just north of Algonquin.
                    Mozzy's are pretty much done...GD Deer flies not so much. Effers can just whack your ankles and ears.
                    Back on the grid after a good 2 weeks in the bush with Jr Shift and Jr Jr Shift and a couple of friends.

Shore Lunch on the rocks is one of the things I wish all could experience.
                    As much fresh fish and fried potatoes with canned beans as you can eat washed down with pretty close to cold beer and a post lunch blunt now that we are enlightened country. .

​

A month to training camp where your Toronto Raptors for a period of one year will be called defending champs in every game they play.

Just how great is that......
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Aug 21, 2019, 02:54 PM.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Last Up a Look at the Defending NBA Champions

The Raps lost their best player in Kawhi Leonard and to be truthful I am still pissed he didn't re-up on a one and one to try and win one more. Like who leaves after you win it and doesn't think the win with the guys who gave blood with you along the way is worth another run at it.
                      But....It is what it is.
                      Best of luck in the west Kawhi and it'd be the dream to see you in the finals. The Raps are still a good team but not the team that steamrolled their way to the finals last year. Their ceiling is an ECF appearance. The floor in my view is 7 or 8 and a first round exit if they draw either of Philly or the Bucks in round 1 if Ujiri sells off his vets for salvage value as he gathers assets in the beginnings of a rebuild to bring the next championship season to the T-Dot.

The Bigs: Serge and Marc and Pascal and Chris Boucher
                      The Wings: OG and Norm, The Stanimal, Rondae Hollis Jefferson and a guy named Matt Thomas
                      Ballhandlers: Kyle and Freddy

Ballhandlers: The strength of the Raps is in their backcourt. They still might have the best backcourt in the East for another year. Both Fred and Kyle can make the 3 and can control the pace of the game. They can pass and make players around them better. Both can play off the ball and give each other a break from bringing it up. The Raps are more than solid in the ballhandling department. The knock on these two is that they are 6 foot guards. The league is moving to a bigger player at that position. The Brogdons and Fox's and Balls are the future at PG. But for now.. which is this season the Raps are set with no worries other than injury.

The Bigs The bigs are also pretty good. Marc Gasol can stretch the floor if he has to as we saw on the run to the championship. He can also still play some inside although his best days from the grindhouse are behind him. Nurse loves to throw changes of pace and style at opponents so look for Gasol to have the offense run through for stints during the game. Other than Jokic there are very few bigs that can pass the ball and create opportunitys like Gasol can. Look for Marc to earn his salary again this year. He is a win now player and he may get moved but if he stays he will help the Raps get to the second round without to much trouble. After this season who knows where big Spain plays. Serge is going to be playing for another contract as he is 29 at this writing. He is mobile. He can run the floor. He can make the three if left open and has a midrange game. He can block shots and is an excellent help defender. However he is shitty rebounder. Serge if he doesn't move at the trade deadline will give us another year like last year as he is looking for that last good contract which will be a damn good year. If he looks like he is not into it and the Raps falter ... Ibalka is the first guy on the trade block for assets.. even a second rounder. Boucher has work to do as he is 198lbs soaking wet and is manhandled on the defensive glass...but he has a motor and he has swag with that 3 point shot. If he puts in the work this summer on that shot and he shows he can make it at 36-37% rate he will see the floor to back up Pascal. Siakam is going to be better this year than last. He might take over as first option even with Lowry on the floor if he can develop an iso game and score off the bounce. As he gets older he gets stronger. He is tireless. This is the raps new star taking the torch from Leonard who took it from Demar who took it from Bosh who took it from Carter.

On the wing. They really aren't all that much different last year save for the guy wearing number 2 and the professional winner that is Danny Green. However that makes all the difference in the world right now. The Raps don't have a replacement for Leonard but then who does. Siakam will try to take on the role of Leonard but like the last lines in the old Porshe commercial.. "There is no substitute". Outside of Norm the Raps don't have a guy who can take it to the rim off the bounce. We hope that OG can make big strides in that area but I am not betting folding money on that right now. The Stanimal Johnson and RHJ will give you effort and defense but not much in the way of consistent offense. Its why they were available..This is the Raps achilles. There is no established iso scorer who can get a shot as the play either bungs up or the clock runs down. As hard as it is to imagine... a guy like Carmello Anthony in limited minutes could help this team right now. Lets see what training camp brings...

Best and Worst Aspects of this years version of the Raps.

The Worst of it. Most years the board would fill up on comments about if we could only get that guy we'd be there. Last year there were no discernable holes on the team. They were solid up and down the lineup. This years holes are pretty apparent. Reounding and isloation scoring off the bounce on the wing. If the raps are in the top 4 by the trade deadline I look to Ujiri to try to shore up this pretty visible gap. Who it is and is anyone's guess at this point. He could go value village and pick up Carmello or he could pursue a Brandon Ingram if he wants to stay young and part with future first and a rotation player or maybe he could see what the BUlls want for Otto Porter.... Ujiri has options thats for sure. One of which may be to just wait it out

The Best of it. The Raps have enough left in the tank with Gasol and Lowry and FVV and Siakam and Serge and Norm and OG to be a home court playoff team. If things go their way and either OG makes a quantum improvement in his off the bounce game or Stan Johnson has an epiphany this year the Raps could have a shot at getting to the ECF. I just don't see them with enough to beat both the Bucks and Philly this year and in all likelihood they will draw one of those two teams in the second round signalling the end of an era. A damn good one at that. We saw it. In our lifetime. A championship where the Dinos kicked ass and took names. After that double OT game at home when they beat the bucks they just rolled. It was never in doubt. A bad timeout and a fucking lucky Igudoloa shot got the Warriors two games but they weren't going to beat that team.

This year is not that team. Still see the Raps finishing 3rd or 4th in the east.... Getting out the first round and then taking a haymaker from Philly or Milwaukee. Then we go back to debating a tear down or a rebuild around Siakam and OG

Long live the 2018-19 NBA Champion Toronto Raptors !
                      - TGO

Comment

• Cmon DS, ya can't leave out T-Davis like that!

Comment

• What about my boy Dewan Hernandez? I was a big Ed Davis kid, and I think this guy could be the new Ed Davis
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Yes I left out what could be the deep bench in Hernandez..Davis...Miller et al.
                            I just haven’t seen these guys play ...
                            Camp is a month away....
                            - TGO

Comment

Yes I left out what could be the deep bench in Hernandez..Davis...Miller et al.
                              I just haven’t seen these guys play ...
                              Camp is a month away....
                              I expect a deep dive 5000 word report on each guy with witty metaphors and apropos idioms by mid September!!

and bring me pictures of Spiderman!! (Copyright SONY)

Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Aug 22, 2019, 06:17 PM.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                I expect a deep dive 5000 word report on each guy with witty metaphors and apropos idioms by mid September!!

and bring me pictures of Spiderman!! (Copyright SONY)

One of those guys might be the grocery stick...
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Aug 22, 2019, 10:13 PM.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X