Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Harden approaches the game perfectly. He makes us others better and can play off ball. The problem is Westbrook, you have to let him be the primary ball handler cause he's a below average offensive player in the half court otherwise. So you're downgrading primary ball handlers to make it work.
    You say he can play off the ball but he dribbles for 20 seconds before taking a shot or passing for an out of rhythm three.

I think this comes down to D'antoni. If he can get the Rockets to play as a TEAM and not as a bunch of guys who take shots when James Harden doesn't want to or can't then it can work. Harden has to try and fit in a bit more. He's not a ball hog he's just trying to win, and from what I can tell, his style of play is not conducive to winning. It's exactly that, though, a style. He's got the skillset and IQ to adjust and if he ever wants to win as the #1 guy then he needs to do so. Look at Kawhi. He did whatever he could to get his team to contribute and produce before taking over himself. Sure our supporting cast is better than Harden's was but the idea remains the same.

Comment

• The D'Antoni Rockets peaked 2 years ago. They couldn't catch the Warriors and have now been leapfrogged by the LA teams - I'd take either of them over Houston in a series. Regular season, I think Utah and Denver push everybody. Houston lost their edge when they lost their wing depth.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

You say he can play off the ball but he dribbles for 20 seconds before taking a shot or passing for an out of rhythm three.

I think this comes down to D'antoni. If he can get the Rockets to play as a TEAM and not as a bunch of guys who take shots when James Harden doesn't want to or can't then it can work. Harden has to try and fit in a bit more. He's not a ball hog he's just trying to win, and from what I can tell, his style of play is not conducive to winning. It's exactly that, though, a style. He's got the skillset and IQ to adjust and if he ever wants to win as the #1 guy then he needs to do so. Look at Kawhi. He did whatever he could to get his team to contribute and produce before taking over himself. Sure our supporting cast is better than Harden's was but the idea remains the same.
        Harden and Houston took peak Warriors to a legit 7 games. What more evidence do you need to say that style of play can work?

Comment

• Speaking of Harden has anyone seen his new move he has been working on over the summer? I didn't know if it was just a summer workout video gag but it looks like its going to be a real thing he just whipped it out in the first preseason game. Its basically a 1 legged variation of his step back.
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• https://streamable.com/z9oc7
            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Harden and Houston took peak Warriors to a legit 7 games. What more evidence do you need to say that style of play can work?
              They were at their best in the post season with Chris Paul making plays and handling the ball. That's not going to happen anymore.

Comment

They were at their best in the post season with Chris Paul making plays and handling the ball. That's not going to happen anymore.
                Yeah Chris Paul was great, and suuuper clutch in game 5. He may have overall played better, I havent watched the series since live. That was still Hardens team and he had a good series, though his scoring did slow down once Paul got hurt. Even still, he created so many open shots, etc. Regardless, that team was still a lot of your turn my turn basketball, which can work with Russ. They will be exceptional in transition, with probably the best PnR player in the league sounded by solid shooting and good team defense.

Disclaimer: I could see this team flaming out in the playoffs, but I don’t its cause the system is fundementally flawed.

Comment

• A starting five of Russ, Harden, Gordon, Tucker and Capela could have the ability to do some damage. I'm not about to dismiss them.

(They do drop off substantially after the starters though.)

Comment

Not sure I agree with "Harden's style of play is not conducive to winning". They lost in 2017 to a Spurs team that would have beaten GSW if not for Kawhi getting hurt. They took one of the top 5 (your mileage may vary) teams in NBA history to 7 games the next year and 6 the next. In those three seasons they won 173 games(!!!!!). I mean, it's kind of like saying John Stockton's style of play wasn't conducive to winning cause they never beat the Bulls?

I think the Rockets have some, ahem, fuel left in the tank for a run... and in the playoffs I like them against Denver and Utah. Not sure about the LA teams yet cause no one has seen them play.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Not sure I agree with "Harden's style of play is not conducive to winning". They lost in 2017 to a Spurs team that would have beaten GSW if not for Kawhi getting hurt. They took one of the top 5 (your mileage may vary) teams in NBA history to 7 games the next year and 6 the next. In those three seasons they won 173 games(!!!!!). I mean, it's kind of like saying John Stockton's style of play wasn't conducive to winning cause they never beat the Bulls?

I think the Rockets have some, ahem, fuel left in the tank for a run... and in the playoffs I like them against Denver and Utah. Not sure about the LA teams yet cause no one has seen them play.
                      You’re probably right I just wish Harden would take a mid range shot once in a while, maybe post up, and actually make plays off the ball instead of waiting to get it back.

I do think the rockets are primed for a deep run and possibly even a championship depending on injuries and fit amongst the top 5 teams in the west.

Comment

• Harden needs to post up more? now there's a first.

Comment

• Rockets imploded in the playoffs last year because of Paul's antics and his relationship with Harden. He's gone.. and that should help their locker room out. Russ can shoot you out of a game, but Harden can shoot you back in a game. Will be an interesting duo. Big ego's as well. They played together before, but Harden came off the bench. He's not doing that anymore. Will definitely be interesting.

They can't start the season like they did last year though. I think they were hovering around .500 until like December or something.. And yet they still managed to get home court in the first round.

Comment

• Man, reading some of the ECF previews. Does anyone like this Raps team? I mean, geez, they've still got Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka. They've got a bunch of decent young guys as well and..... they won't make the playoffs? I'll be shocked if they miss the playoffs. Man, I'll be a little surprised if they don't have home court. Perhaps I am underrating a bunch of teams but outside of the Bucks and Sixers and maybe the Celts (ugh), I don't see any other ECF as being materially better than Toronto and Boston is a wildcard.

Comment

Man, reading some of the ECF previews. Does anyone like this Raps team? I mean, geez, they've still got Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka. They've got a bunch of decent young guys as well and..... they won't make the playoffs? I'll be shocked if they miss the playoffs. Man, I'll be a little surprised if they don't have home court. Perhaps I am underrating a bunch of teams but outside of the Bucks and Sixers and maybe the Celts (ugh), I don't see any other ECF as being materially better than Toronto and Boston is a wildcard.
                              We lost Danny green and some other guy in LA that I hear was pretty good, and replaced them with fringe scrubs. It's a prove em year once again for the underdogs up north.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Man, reading some of the ECF previews. Does anyone like this Raps team? I mean, geez, they've still got Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka. They've got a bunch of decent young guys as well and..... they won't make the playoffs? I'll be shocked if they miss the playoffs. Man, I'll be a little surprised if they don't have home court. Perhaps I am underrating a bunch of teams but outside of the Bucks and Sixers and maybe the Celts (ugh), I don't see any other ECF as being materially better than Toronto and Boston is a wildcard.
                                We’ve been exceeding expectations for 6 years running... all the way to Larry mothafuckin OB.

ain’t nothin new up under the sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X