Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Two years then a player option. If the Clips don’t win the Larry OB this year...the NBA media drums will begin to beat on what’s Kawhi going to do in 2021-22 season. It’s the NBA baby...Part WWE, part soap opera, part daily hot takes. No league like it for player mobility.
    If they win, it will be like Toronto and you won't hear a thing. If they don't win it all, the rumblings will start about players being unhappy they are playing hurt and Leonard is taking days off, etc.

Comment

• Embiid just broke/dislocated his finger
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
        Embiid just broke/dislocated his finger
        Back in already.

Though it is a reminder Embiid has yet to not miss 20-82 games of an NBA season.

The guy is so talented but I don't know. Between injury, fitness, and head space questions, he still has so much to prove.

Philly though has the greatest potential in the East to crank it up from a level 7 to a level 10 for the playoffs. Or they may bumble along at their level 7 in the playoffs. Real trick or treat potential.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Back in already.

Though it is a reminder Embiid has yet to not miss 20-82 games of an NBA season.

The guy is so talented but I don't know. Between injury, fitness, and head space questions, he still has so much to prove.

Philly though has the greatest potential in the East to crank it up from a level 7 to a level 10 for the playoffs. Or they may bumble along at their level 7 in the playoffs. Real trick or treat potential.
          Philly's level 10 'potential' is purely hypothetical and it probably only comes from the fact that Ben Simmons was drafted #1 overall, because Simmons is really like a Walmart Giannis, in almost every sense. And the way the Bucks finally unlocked Giannis' potential was to open the floor by surrounding him with 4 knockdown 3-pt shooters. So, if you're going to realize Simmons' potential, then Embiid has to become Brook Lopez, even though he's at his best when he's dominating in the post. Simmons often has to be hidden in the dunker's spot to not kill the spacing, so it's hard to see how the Sixers will ever be able to craft a system that gets the both out of both of their stars.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Philly's level 10 'potential' is purely hypothetical and it probably only comes from the fact that Ben Simmons was drafted #1 overall, because Simmons is really like a Walmart Giannis, in almost every sense. And the way the Bucks finally unlocked Giannis' potential was to open the floor by surrounding him with 4 knockdown 3-pt shooters. So, if you're going to realize Simmons' potential, then Embiid has to become Brook Lopez, even though he's at his best when he's dominating in the post. Simmons often has to be hidden in the dunker's spot to not kill the spacing, so it's hard to see how the Sixers will ever be able to craft a system that gets the both out of both of their stars.
            Fumbling through the regular season aside, I think they're best built to beat any other team in the East, especially the Bucks. How Giannis is supposed to beat Simmons/Horford then meet Embiid at the rim and still do anything is beyond me. Meanwhile Milwaukee has nobody to handle Embiid at the other end, he'll break them down. Lopez swats small ball drives all day long but Philly is huge and I'm not optimistic about Brook vs Joel for the Bucks.

Their parts don't fit very well offensively but they'll be able to put the clamps on anybody in a 7 game series, and that can get you through the playoffs. On Christmas Giannis went 8/27 while Embiid put up 31 + 11 in 28 min and that's about what I'd expect when Philly cranks it up in the playoffs.

Until Embiid gets a tummy ache.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Fumbling through the regular season aside, I think they're best built to beat any other team in the East, especially the Bucks. How Giannis is supposed to beat Simmons/Horford then meet Embiid at the rim and still do anything is beyond me. Meanwhile Milwaukee has nobody to handle Embiid at the other end, he'll break them down. Lopez swats small ball drives all day long but Philly is huge and I'm not optimistic about Brook vs Joel for the Bucks.

Their parts don't fit very well offensively but they'll be able to put the clamps on anybody in a 7 game series, and that can get you through the playoffs. On Christmas Giannis went 8/27 while Embiid put up 31 + 11 in 28 min and that's about what I'd expect when Philly cranks it up in the playoffs.

Until Embiid gets a tummy ache.
              Yeah, good points about matchups... but Horford and Baynes also thoroughly embarrassed Giannis in Game 1 of round 2 last year, before the Bucks pulled the gentleman's sweep on the Celtics. I'm not going to read too much into single game regular season sample sizes for now. Having watched quite a bit of Sixers games, I do know that they are also a lot weaker closing games this year without Jimmy Butler.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, good points about matchups... but Horford and Baynes also thoroughly embarrassed Giannis in Game 1 of round 2 last year, before the Bucks pulled the gentleman's sweep on the Celtics. I'm not going to read too much into single game regular season sample sizes for now. Having watched quite a bit of Sixers games, I do know that they are also a lot weaker closing games this year without Jimmy Butler.
                Yes they were better built last year

Comment

• Sooooo.... we went from missing the playoffs entirely, to:

They’ve still been a good team, but they’ll need a full squad healthy and available in order to make some noise in the playoffs and cause a lot of problems for the rest of the East. This Raptors team is on the brink of being good enough to march back into the conference finals. They might even be good enough to surprise a lot of us and return to the NBA Finals
                  - the Athletic

This team is a true Eastern Conference contender with all the pieces intact — we just never get to see it. Pascal Siakam and Marc Gasol remain out, with no imminent return in sight. But, as always, they figure out ways to win with their big guns on the sideline
                  - NBA.com

Comment

• How far the Raptors go will come down to whether Siakam and Lowry can both play at their individual best while on the court together. Siakam looked like a star when Lowry was out with injury, but once Lowry returned Siakam looked tentative and took a back seat to Kyle. Lowry is now looking like a star with Siakam hurt. Hope to see a two man game develop between these two so they can build better chemistry on the floor together.

Comment

• Gasol's injury is a blessing in disguise I think, provided he's back by like early March. Guy was playing too much ball, we need peak defensive Marc in the playoffs
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Sixers almost dropped another one last night. Bucks did, but remain well out in front.
                        Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Jan 7, 2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

damn
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Warm up the tank.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Warm up the tank.
                                It's already been idling for 20 minutes. Just looking for a driver. Doumbouya looks like just passed his drivers exam, give this guy the keys, trade drummond and D.Rose. Poor Dwayne at least he's getting 7 Mil a year.
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X