Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

If he gets mins in the playoffs it will as the 9 th guy in the rotation. So that points to garbage time if the raps are in a situation like that in the post season.

Still though..Davis has worked his way from an undrafted summer league signing to the 9th guy on an eastern conference playoff caliber team. That’s pretty good. Maybe even better than anyone taken in the first round past 20.
    Yep. It’s the core 7, plus RHJ and then McCaw or Davis. Barring trades of course. There won’t be a lot of guard minutes after Lowry/FVV/Powell unless OG craps the bed or they go super small for some reason.

Comment

• OG never craps the bed in the playoffs. The one positive is that defense seems to carry over to the playoffs.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
        I'll be honest... I don't see Davis getting more minutes in the playoffs. Rookies and young players tend to disappear in the playoffs when things matter.

Remember when Mo Pete had to sub in for Joey Graham halfway through the series against the Nets because Joey disappeared? Or when Jak was nowhere to be found against the Lebrons?

I actually trust Nurse though, but I can't see him giving Davis more minutes in the playoffs; McCaw for what its worth will provide low ceiling, but steady effort. Davis might be a complete wild card in the playoffs.
        The biggest problem with McCaw is that he's not a break-even player. Or even a slightly negative impact player. He's a major negative. And this is in the regular season, against so-so teams. Sure, he's steady.... but he's steady in a way that guarantees we are just spotting the other team points, consistently. I mean, Davis can come in a waste 5-10 seconds off the clock and pass the ball to Lowry and look pretty steady too. Jeremy Lin could do that too. McCaw simply shifts the pressure to his teammates, while doing nothing out there. That's why he looks 'steady'. To top it off, he's nowhere near the defensive player he was touted to be.

Comment

• You wont convince people that McCaw is trash, it is a losing battle. Just like convincing someone that Derozan is a flawed player.

Advance metrics, video evidence/ eye test not e-nuff for these guys lol.

Like talking to MAGA cult fanatics.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The biggest problem with McCaw is that he's not a break-even player. Or even a slightly negative impact player. He's a major negative. And this is in the regular season, against so-so teams. Sure, he's steady.... but he's steady in a way that guarantees we are just spotting the other team points, consistently. I mean, Davis can come in a waste 5-10 seconds off the clock and pass the ball to Lowry and look pretty steady too. Jeremy Lin could do that too. McCaw simply shifts the pressure to his teammates, while doing nothing out there. That's why he looks 'steady'. To top it off, he's nowhere near the defensive player he was touted to be.
            He sure checks all the boxes on those is KPIs, no doubt.
            But he doesnt throw the ball away to the popcorn vendor in the third row as Davis is more apt to do. Terrance also embarks on a couple too many classic 2018 Norm Powell drives to nowhere. McCaws defense isn’t OG level but he doesn’t get caught looking on switches as much as Davis does. Davis is waaaaaay better than he was at the beginning of the year but he still gets caught.

As noticeable as his 3 point shooting has been Davis still air balls a few. For a compare Freddy and Kyle rarely whiff. .It’s now unusual for Norm to air ball one. Since McCaw is the Mitch Marner of shooting guards in that he doesn’t load up very much Davis shooting is a huge plus over McCaw.

When Davis gets a touch more under control and tightens up his shot a bit more he kicks McCaw to the curb. It’s up to Davis to take the next step. Internal competition to get better to get more minutes is a good coaching move.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 19, 2020, 03:53 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

He sure checks all the boxes on those is KPIs, no doubt.
              But he doesnt throw the ball away to the popcorn vendor in the third row as Davis is more apt to do. Terrance also embarks on a couple too many classic 2018 Norm Powell drives to nowhere. McCaws defense isn’t OG level but he doesn’t get caught looking on switches as much as Davis does. Davis is waaaaaay better than he was at the beginning of the year but he still gets caught.

As noticeable as his 3 point shooting has been Davis still air balls a few. For a compare Freddy and Kyle rarely whiff. .It’s now unusual for Norm to do air ball one. Since McCaw is the Mitch Marner of shooting guards in that he doesn’t load up very much Davis shooting is a huge plus over McCaw.

When Davis gets a touch more under control and tightens up his shot a bit more he kicks McCaw to the curb. It’s up to Davis to take the next step.
              This all makes loads of sense, except that Davis is already miles better on defence, offence, shooting, rebounding, effort, focus, and even limiting his turnovers than McCaw is. Right now.

So, great, if Davis gets better he wins the spot. Yay.

If he doesn't, if he's the same player he is today, do you want Nurse to play McCaw over him?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

This all makes loads of sense, except that Davis is already miles better on defence, offence, shooting, rebounding, effort, focus, and even limiting his turnovers than McCaw is. Right now.

So, great, if Davis gets better he wins the spot. Yay.

If he doesn't, if he's the same player he is today, do you want Nurse to play McCaw over him?
                Well loads of something.

Only Nick and the staff know the whys and the when’s.
                Davis can be the most watchable guy on the floor.
                For good reasons.
                And some for bad.

I think Davis has the upside and the chops to become a valuable rotation player. Bet on yourself.
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 19, 2020, 04:01 PM.
                - TGO

Comment

Well loads of something.

For good reasons.
                  And some for bad.

I think Davis has the upside and the chops to become a valuable rotation player. Bet on yourself.
                  To be clear though, because I’m curious. Your position is that assuming Davis gets no better this season, and neither does McCaw, when we enter the playoffs you would prefer to see McCaw playing than Davis?

twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well loads of something.

For good reasons.
                    And some for bad.

The bigger issue I have is the double standard. A lot of coaches are like: "okay, you want minutes... show me something... go make something happen." Davis makes sh!tloads of great stuff happen. He's aggressive and attacking... which is exactly the style Nurse has openly said he wants to play. So, Davis makes 9 great things happen in limited minutes, then he makes one mistake and he's in the doghouse. McCaw makes nothing happen, drags his teammates down to negative net ratings (which has been pretty much impossible to do with Lowry, yet somehow McCaw manages it) and he is gifted 20-25 minutes per game... regardless of performance.

You can't be calling out players in the media for one thing and show them that other players aren't being held to the same standard of earning their minutes. Every player says that same thing.... 'you give me consistent minutes and you will get consistent performance'. It's just common sense. Even with inconsistent minutes, Davis is proving to be a player worth investing significant development minutes in.... by a landslide over McCaw. And those same consistent minutes McCaw is getting are proving who he really is... not quite ready to contribute on an elite team.

Comment

The bigger issue I have is the double standard. A lot of coaches are like: "okay, you want minutes... show me something... go make something happen." Davis makes sh!tloads of great stuff happen. He's aggressive and attacking... which is exactly the style Nurse has openly said he wants to play. So, Davis makes 9 great things happen in limited minutes, then he makes one mistake and he's in the doghouse. McCaw makes nothing happen, drags his teammates down to negative net ratings (which has been pretty much impossible to do with Lowry, yet somehow McCaw manages it) and he is gifted 20-25 minutes per game... regardless of performance.

You can't be calling out players in the media for one thing and show them that other players aren't being held to the same standard of earning their minutes. Every player says that same thing.... 'you give me consistent minutes and you will get consistent performance'. It's just common sense. Even with inconsistent minutes, Davis is proving to be a player worth investing significant development minutes in.... by a landslide over McCaw. And those same consistent minutes McCaw is getting are proving who he really is... not quite ready to contribute on an elite team.
                      With regards to the double standard, i wonder if its because the raps see davis as a potential long term piece, but not mccaw. Basically, they want to make sure davis doesnt develop any bad habits so they give him the quick hook when he messes up and call him out when they dont like what they see in a game. Its a tricky approach to take but they may be taking the hardline with him because they think he will respond to that type of treatment and ultimately get the best out of him. With mccaw, they hopefully dont see him here long term and thus dont treat him that way. And of course, davis is a rookie and mccaw is not, so they have alot more opportunity to affect and steer davis' development. Now that is a far fetched theory but might be a reasonable explanantion as to why davis is getting short changed relative to mccaw. Why mccaw gets so many minutes however, is a question i cannot even produce a guess for an answer.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

To be clear though, because I’m curious. Your position is that assuming Davis gets no better this season, and neither does McCaw, when we enter the playoffs you would prefer to see McCaw playing than Davis?
                        No.
                        I’d like to seeDavis play. He brings truckloads more offence than McCaw.

- TGO

Comment

One of the privileges of being an NBA head coach. You get to do what you see as best.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Miami just lossed..so were game back, will be number 2 spot soon, knock on wood,that's where raptors want 2 be, as for davis vs mccaw..yes davis is better and I would love 2 c davis play more than mccaw, bc mccaw is trash, however this made me think why coach nurse is giving more nod 2 mccaw, trust, not a rook, raps are veteran team..u gotta earn it, this is mccaw 4th year and davis 1st..that's my thinking..give it time, patients, if ure good player, u will get recognized and get those minutes, just look at freddy, also who knows maybe mccaw gets traded which would be blessing.
                            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                              You wont convince people that McCaw is trash, it is a losing battle. Just like convincing someone that Derozan is a flawed player.

Advance metrics, video evidence/ eye test not e-nuff for these guys lol.

Like talking to MAGA cult fanatics.
                              Mccaw is trash... but we are discussing why he’ll still play. Settle down and read

Comment

• Heat lose today and they have some games they could lose over the next week or so (LAC and Boston on the second night of a back to back). Might be the time to gain ground!

Comment

Working...
                                X