No announcement yet.

Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys are optimists.. I think I had them 6th behind Orlando (although I think I had Miami 7th or 8th). Thought Orlando was going to be a sleeper team. Never thought Siakam would make that big leap like he did. I didn't think our bench was going to be that good. I thought we would struggle to score. Marc was a year older and going to be really tired form the summer. I thought we'd be a playoff team, but get around 45-47 wins. Play a tough first round and if we get through it would lose in the second.

So this is all just beyond my expectations. Our bench has been great. Nurse has been awesome. Siakam has been a huge revelation. Despite all our injuries, still having this record and giving McCaw about 20mpg on top of that.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      Watching Philly play is like watching the Leafs play as they quit on Babcock.

It’s crazy..but either Brand trades or he should consider whacking Brown this late in the season. These guys are mailing it in. Embiid at 7 ft and Simmons at 6 ‘11” are getting beat on the boards by 6’9” Adebayo.

The switch is firmly in the off position in Hinkieville
      Sixers need to do something but there don't appear to be any game-changing type moves out there for them (or anyone else) and I don't think adding a single player is going to address their fundamental issues. They are now 5.5 games back of the Raps and 4 back of Boston/Miami and all have games in hand on Philly. The Heat have cooled off a little but not much, Toronto is rolling and Boston looks good, so it's hard to see the Sixers finding their way into the top 4 without a lot of help.

They could fire Brown but who do you hire?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Didn't virtually everyone here pick the Raps for 3-4 and a few for 5-6th in the conference?
        IIRC, no one picked them to end the season #1 and no one picked them to miss altogether.

The surprise is how well they've held up under all the injuries
        I could’ve been clearer...

I was referring to the media. Not to any posters here. I feel like confidence around here for the most part was pretty high. I’m talking about, as Demo suggested, the Dennis Scott’s of the world, when I said “experts.”

Comment

Didn't virtually everyone here pick the Raps for 3-4 and a few for 5-6th in the conference?
          IIRC, no one picked them to end the season #1 and no one picked them to miss altogether.

The core of this Raptor team went 17 - 5 without Kawhi last year. We've replaced DG with Fred and Kawhi with OG. We have a strong bench. All the young guys have improved. Norm has far exceeded expectations, Lowry is playing at or better than last year. Our MIP has taken another huge step. Overall our road record is 3rd best in NBA where as our home record is only 10th. With some better luck health wise, some of those 1-pt losses at home would have been wins. It seems this years "team" may better than last years Championship team. Not to say a chip is guaranteed, it just isn't out of the question... Our toughest series last year was the second round Philly series and it took "The Shot" to move on. All we know at this point is that this years play-offs will be different. Having an experienced team that can win on the road is an advantage. Let's hope we are healthy.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I was referring to the media. Not to any posters here. I feel like confidence around here for the most part was pretty high. I’m talking about, as Demo suggested, the Dennis Scott’s of the world, when I said “experts.”
            Dennis Scott didn't do his homework.

Comment

I thot we’d be 4 or 5. This team has blown me away this year with their Mental and physical toughness, focus, depth, individual improvements and coaching I think it’s a bit surprising how much worse Philly are and how good Miami is, but losing Jimmy and adding Jimmy obviously makes a big difference, plus Bam’s emergence and Kendrick.

Seems clear now that the Raps are the second best (regular season) team in the east prior to the deadline. I’d like to see them add if possible at the deadline to hopefully give them a lift and every chance possible to come out of the east. But I don’t doubt that, that group thinks they can beat the Bucks in a seven game series.

Also hoping the Celtics aren’t able to improve substantially at the deadline.

Comment

And Caron Butler 🙄

Comment

• Oh I definitely had them pegged for somewhere around the 6th seed this season. They've been much better than I could have imagined, but again I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach that we may struggle in the playoffs similar to the DeMar days. Who is going to be that guy that can get a bucket when teams are clamping down on us defensively? That's where a guy like Kawhi was such a difference maker cause he could impose his will on defenses. It has to be Siakam now right?

Comment

• Most analysts don't truly follow Toronto, and last year, they really only followed Leonard. I'm pretty sure I voted #1 when this thread started, that was because no games played, and They were the Champs. Realistically, The Bucks I felt might be better, however, they lost a few guys.....it's a big story that they are killing it like they are.

As for Toronto, where they rank after losing Kawhi.... well my thoughts were and remain, that Toronto didn't lose that much when Leonard left, because they gained OG. People under rate OG so much, the guy had a terribly unlucky year last year, but he is big, strong, athletic, plays mental defence, rebounds, gets to the rim, and has a 3pt shot...sound like anyone (Leonard). You don't have to be as good as the guy leaving, you just have to bring a lot of what they brought and OG has in spades. I was more worried that the Danny Green loss would hurt....but really, it hasn't as guys like Powell and Davis have truly turned it up.

Toronto hasn't been healthy for many games....now Powell is out again (he will have super fresh legs in the playoffs) When this team is healthy, they are legit contenders. 1 or 2 in the east, and not out of the Championship conversation.

I might put $100 on them to win it all.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      Most analysts don't truly follow Toronto, and last year, they really only followed Leonard. I'm pretty sure I voted #1 when this thread started, that was because no games played, and They were the Champs. Realistically, The Bucks I felt might be better, however, they lost a few guys.....it's a big story that they are killing it like they are.

As for Toronto, where they rank after losing Kawhi.... well my thoughts were and remain, that Toronto didn't lose that much when Leonard left, because they gained OG. People under rate OG so much, the guy had a terribly unlucky year last year, but he is big, strong, athletic, plays mental defence, rebounds, gets to the rim, and has a 3pt shot...sound like anyone (Leonard). You don't have to be as good as the guy leaving, you just have to bring a lot of what they brought and OG has in spades. I was more worried that the Danny Green loss would hurt....but really, it hasn't as guys like Powell and Davis have truly turned it up.

Toronto hasn't been healthy for many games....now Powell is out again (he will have super fresh legs in the playoffs) When this team is healthy, they are legit contenders. 1 or 2 in the east, and not out of the Championship conversation.

I might put $100 on them to win it all.
                      I wanna echo this for many of the same reasons.

I voted 3rd mainly because I figured that an injury to Lowry or Siakam would be too much to overcome if it happened so they'd be battling for that 3/4 and maybe 5th seed. I genuinely believe this team believes they can beat any team in a 7 game series. I don't know if they repeat this year ... but they absolutely deserve to be in the conversation for it.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just thinking today: Toronto vs Kawhi in the finals is going to be such a great story.

Comment

I thought WE were the experts

Comment

• Garbo wrote: View Post
                            Just thinking today: Toronto vs Kawhi in the finals is going to be such a great story.
                            Only if the raptors win.

Comment

• About 80% of us predicted them to finish 3rd to 5th per the first page poll. A few of you optimists actually picked 1st and 2nd seeds. Some hoser here picked 8th (Sam Mitchell burner confirmed).
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post

I thot we’d be 4 or 5. This team has blown me away this year with their Mental and physical toughness, focus, depth, individual improvements and coaching I think it’s a bit surprising how much worse Philly are and how good Miami is, but losing Jimmy and adding Jimmy obviously makes a big difference, plus Bam’s emergence and Kendrick.

Seems clear now that the Raps are the second best (regular season) team in the east prior to the deadline. I’d like to see them add if possible at the deadline to hopefully give them a lift and every chance possible to come out of the east. But I don’t doubt that, that group thinks they can beat the Bucks in a seven game series.

Also hoping the Celtics aren’t able to improve substantially at the deadline.

Celtics will make a move (C?) and so will the Sixers (for sure) imo. I don't think we can afford to do nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X