Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

==Source: Worldometer==

As of the time I write this, this is the number of fatalities in 2020, out of the 7.7+ billion people in the world:

Coronavirus: 4,614
    Malaria: 189,865
    Traffic accidents: 261,294
    Alcohol as cause: 484,132
    Smoking as cause: 967,660
    Seasonal ordinary flu: 94,056

Things can of course change, but with my deepest respects to the people that lost a loved one to covid-19, for me personally, people's reaction to this has been scarier than the virus itself
    Ya it is a potentially impactful virus but i also wonder how much of the hysteria being the first widespread disease we have seen in the social media era. The last disease that was at this worldwide impact was H1N1. This strain of Corona has a slighty higher R knot (Rate of spread) and a higher fatality rate. SARS which is also a strain of Coronavirus had a much higher fatality rate but it was isolated in spread. The fact that this originated in China a very high density population means that these statistics may be slight skewed both positivity and negatively. Might be inflating the R Knot but also could be true #s we are not seeing due to the type of goverment systems in place. South Korea is reporting a decline which should be more positive then anything coming out of China.Chinese also have a high smoking rate and deal with poor air quality both with would be a "underlying health problem" when dealing with a respiratory illness.
    At this point it seems somewhere in between H1N1 and SARS.
    Good for taking preventative measures to nip in the butt before things get beyond a point of no return if we find out it is worse then thought
    Last edited by bertarapsfan; Wed Mar 11, 2020, 07:25 PM.
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• This is an NBA dunk coach

Comment

• Should the prediction above be accurate, then with a 1% fatality rate that would mean 700k-1.5 million people dying in the US alone. Couple that with a hospitalization rate of ~10% - that would mean millions of people requiring care that will displace other people who require medical treatment unrelated to the coronavirus. For those people with compromised immune systems, it becomes even a bigger challenge, because the risk of even setting foot in a hospital for regularly scheduled care dramatically increases.

The recommended approach of 'social distancing' won't necessarily reduce the number of people who contract the virus - it will however cause the timeline for when people get sick to be spread out over a longer period - meaning that the impact on health care providers and hospitals won't be as severe

Comment

==Source: Worldometer==

As of the time I write this, this is the number of fatalities in 2020, out of the 7.7+ billion people in the world:

Coronavirus: 4,614
          Malaria: 189,865
          Traffic accidents: 261,294
          Alcohol as cause: 484,132
          Smoking as cause: 967,660
          Seasonal ordinary flu: 94,056

I know things can of course change, but with my deepest respects to the people that lost a loved one to covid-19, for me personally, the media/society reaction to this has been far scarier than the virus itself
          Uh, the problem is COVID hasn't spread yet. All those other things are working on full samples. COVID is still expanding its reach at an exponential rate.

Fear should not be the goal here. But people absolutely need to take this virus seriously and slow the spread as much as possible. Stopping large gatherings is absolutely a smart decision and hopefully one the NBA and other leagues fully adopt ASAP. Action at the start of an exponential curve is way more impactful than later on.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Uh, the problem is COVID hasn't spread yet. All those other things are working on full samples. COVID is still expanding its reach at an exponential rate.

Fear should not be the goal here. But people absolutely need to take this virus seriously and slow the spread as much as possible. Stopping large gatherings is absolutely a smart decision and hopefully one the NBA and other leagues fully adopt ASAP. Action at the start of an exponential curve is way more impactful than later on.
            It's been spreading in China, a densely populated country of a billion, for like 4 months now. And it has less than 4000 deaths? But now we say its gonna come here and kill a million people? K.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's been spreading in China, a densely populated country of a billion, for like 4 months now. And it has less than 4000 deaths? But now we say its gonna come here and kill a million people? K.
              I think they are using Italy as a closer example of what could happen to the US. China is easier to lock down because of how controlling their government is. It's a lot tougher to do in the States.

Comment

• In other news, Derek Jones Jr, reigning NBA slam dunk champ, is having the best start of his career, 5 - 5, with 3 3's. Miami is 14 - 15 and 7 - 8 from 3. Miami up by 17 in 1st quarter.

Comment

Well, we will never know how many people died in China. The PRC is not an honest broker.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                    In other news, Derek Jones Jr, reigning NBA slam dunk champ, is having the best start of his career, 5 - 5, with 3 3's. Miami is 14 - 15 and 7 - 8 from 3. Miami up by 17 in 1st quarter.
                    Miami looks pretty good. Flipping to Mavs-Nuggets.

Comment

• Just watching the intro to this Mavs game on ESPN. Really feels like they are laying the groundwork for a pause to the season.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Miami looks pretty good. Flipping to Mavs-Nuggets.
                        Ha, Charlotte makes an 15 - 1 run to start the 2nd, now a 4 pt game.

Comment

I just heard from someone today that Winnipeg ran out of toilet paper citywide. People hoarding it for the apocalypse. I mean, I'm not from there so I can't confirm, but if someone on the forum is, please do, I'm dying to know. All I found is this, but it doesn't mention good 'ol winterpeg.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6654420/t...t-coronavirus/

Comment

I just heard from someone today that Winnipeg ran out of toilet paper citywide. People hoarding it for the apocalypse. I mean, I'm not from there so I can't confirm, but if someone on the forum is, please do, I'm dying to know. All I found is this, but it doesn't mention good 'ol winterpeg.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6654420/t...t-coronavirus/
                            Its amusing that the 1st thing people are worrying about are how they are going to wipe their ass. While medicine and non-perishable foods seem to not have the same hysteria

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Just watching the intro to this Mavs game on ESPN. Really feels like they are laying the groundwork for a pause to the season.
                              what are they saying?

Comment

• 37-11 quarter. Hornets are on fire from three. Killing Miami on the glass. Heat just turning it over like crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X