Where Do The Raptors Rank In The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Man, the Raps were just rounding into championship form and getting everybody healthy. Looks like the NBA will go to any length to prevent #WeTheChamps from going back to back.
    Disappointing. So in love with this team and so excited to see what they could pull off... here’s hoping a) they’re all gonna be ok and b) they can get back to playing basketball soon and show everyone what they’re capable of.

Crazy times

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
      I imagine we're going to see a lot more shutdowns coming in North America...basically every sports league might be postponed/suspended at some point soon
      Every pro league will be forced to follow the NBA lead. No league can stand to be accused to facilitating the spread of the virus or not taking care of their players in favour of profits. Marc Cuban said they have to start thinking about their own families over money (easy for him to say)

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

China is already planning on starting up ball again. They are telling players who left to come back as the season is going to start soon. T.V deals will make it really hard for NBA to cancel games. Maybe just couple weeks of no fans then returning, i would see it very unlikely that seasons get cancelled. Lebron already came out and said he wont play if theirs no fans. I highly doubt he sticks to that.
        San Fran is ground zero they have that cruise ship there and lots of people who would have came from Asia.Lets see if anyone else follows suit. California or east coast citys would probably be the first. I dunno how much middle America is going to be effected.
        lebron walked back those comments the next morning when the NBA gave him a little reminder that he's not the Commish lol
        He actually said he wasn't aware they were talking about the Corona Virus , wth else did he think they were talking about cancelling fan attendance for?

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

==Source: Worldometer==

As of the time I write this, this is the number of fatalities in 2020, out of the 7.7+ billion people in the world:

Coronavirus: 4,614
          Malaria: 189,865
          Traffic accidents: 261,294
          Alcohol as cause: 484,132
          Smoking as cause: 967,660
          Seasonal ordinary flu: 94,056

I know things can of course change, but with my deepest respects to the people that lost a loved one to covid-19, for me personally, the media/society reaction to this has been far scarier than the virus itself
          And what if we're 1% through this? Quoting stats when the first cases were only a few months ago for instance is folly. Just like saying only 1% fatality rate, what if 10% of those who have it now eventually die? It's the % that die vs declared recovered not how many that currently have it.

It's way too early to say if this is over blown like SARS or will eventually wipe out millions.
          Last edited by G__Deane; Thu Mar 12, 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• This is the sort of thing that would have bugged me before the raps won a championship. If they decide to just resume the season with the playoffs, lebron’s last second miss at the rim (which he has made 1000 times) would be the difference between us facing the Nets or Orlando. I know we can beat both but I’m a bit less scared of Orlando.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

And what if we're 1% through this?Quoting stats when the first cases were only a few months ago for instance is folly. Just like saying only 1% fatality rate, what if 10% of those who have it now eventually die? It's the % that die vs declared recovered not how many that currently have it.

It's way too early to say if this is over blown like SARS or will eventually wipe out millions.
              Not folly. The bold is very unlikely. Like another poster mentioned, this has been in place in China for about 4 months already - a country of over a billion, culturally living in very close proximity to each other, with massive, densily populated areas - and it killed less than 4,000 people there, many of which already with co-morbidities and other respiratory issues. And that's ground zero, where the virus had the advantage of taking people by surprise before counter-measures were in place.

These ~4 months also happen to be the 4 coldest months in the northern hemisphere, where respiratory diseases are at their peak. South Korea is apparently already seeing a decline in cases. Viral respiratory infections are not like, say, HIV, where someone can contract it and die several months/years later. You're not gonna have 10% of people with covid "eventually" die, there's no basis for that. I mean, 100% of people will "eventually" die some day, but that's not because of covid. According to the WHO covid is fatality rate ~3.6%, and seasonal flu is 0.1%, both heavily, heavily skewed towards people over 80 who are already at the end of their life expectancy. Respiratory experts say in 80% of the cases a healthy adult immune system won't even allow a fever or cough to develop.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously of course, we should try to protect everyone (especially the elderly), and all these measures are important. But let's keep it in context. I agree with you that it's too early to say it's overblown like SARS (though it may very well prove to be - we'll only know in time ).

Last edited by inthepaint; Thu Mar 12, 2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Not folly. The bold is very unlikely. Like another poster mentioned, this has been in place in China for about 4 months already - a country of over a billion, culturally living in very close proximity to each other, with massive, densily populated areas - and it killed less than 4,000 people there, many of which already with co-morbidities and other respiratory issues. And that's ground zero, where the virus had the advantage of taking people by surprise before counter-measures were in place.

These ~4 months also happen to be the 4 coldest months in the northern hemisphere, where respiratory diseases are at their peak. South Korea is apparently already seeing a decline in cases. Viral respiratory infections are not like, say, HIV, where someone can contract it and die several months/years later. You're not gonna have 10% of people with covid "eventually" die, there's no basis for that. I mean, 100% of people will "eventually" die some day, but that's not because of covid. According to the WHO covid is fatality rate ~3.6%, and seasonal flu is 1%, both heavily, heavily skewed towards people over 80 who are already at the end of their life expectancy. Respiratory experts say in 80% of the cases a healthy adult immune system won't even allow a fever or cough to develop.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously of course, we should try to protect everyone (especially the elderly), and all these measures are important. But let's keep it in context. I agree with you that it's too early to say it's overblown like SARS (though it may very well prove to be - we'll only know in time ).

The seasonal flu death rate is 0.1%. The 3.6% estimate of COVID-19 is 36 times higher than that.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

The seasonal flu death rate is 0.1%. The 3.6% estimate of COVID-19 is 36 times higher than that.
                  More contagious than the flu too.

Comment

I read a much lower number like 2%, with the assumption it would get lower considering so many people would contract and the symptoms be mild. 3.6% is much more serious. SARS was 10%

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

I read a much lower number like 2%, with the assumption it would get lower considering so many people would contract and the symptoms be mild. 3.6% is much more serious. SARS was 10%
                      Considering that people take flu shots at the start of the flu season and there's no vaccine for C-19 yet, the death rate for C-19 seems low on a relative basis.

Comment

• The same discussion seems to be happening through many of the threads. I nominate Mixx to make a Raptors v Covid game thread. Let's make this 5 wins in a row

Comment

Yes, that was a typo, fixed in the OP. Seasonal flu 0.1%, Covid 3.6%, SARS which was supposed to kill half the planet was 9.6%. One piece of good news I found is that no single child under 9 has reportedly died from covid:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

That table also shows how skewed the death rate is based on age and how high it is for 80+, unfortunately for that age group. Rate for people under 50 is around 0.3%.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

Mortality rate varies widely by country, some of this is certainly incomplete data/reporting issues, but government responses (or lack thereof) seem to have a significant impact on the outcome of infections:

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Back to OP - Where do the Raptors rank in the East? Well, if the season were to end today they'd be second in the East and third overall. So how about that.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Back to OP - Where do the Raptors rank in the East? Well, if the season were to end today they'd be second in the East and third overall. So how about that.
                                I never expect us to match up with Corona first round. Tough low seed to get, they don't go away, fight hard, great passing team.
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X