Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

    I want to make a poll and see how many people here think that Raptors have the assets to acquire the #1 pick this year and how many people think we should acquire it ?
    37
    We have the assets and we should try to get the #1 Pick
    16.22%
    6
    We have the assets but we SHOULD NOT try to get the #1 pick
    16.22%
    6
    We don't have the assets to get the #1 pick
    67.57%
    25

  • #2
    Not enough assets without giving up a majority of our core. So it's not worth it, if we trade everything good on the roster we should have just tanked. That way we could have kept jonas/ross/our picks where any trade for the 1 pick would include them
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't even try.

      Wait for Wiggins to develop and come here in 5 years or whatever it is, it's better that way, he's already developed and we don't have to suck or give up the core for the draft pick.

      If they don't take Wiggins #1 pick does not matter as he is all that matters because when we talk about this pick.

      And we can still get him as an FA.
      Last edited by 007; Fri May 23, 2014, 12:03 AM.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

      Comment


      • #4
        RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
        Don't even try.

        Wait for Wiggins to develop and come here in 5 years or whatever it is, it's better that way, he's already developed and we don't have to suck or give up the core for the draft pick.

        If they don't take Wiggins #1 pick does not matter as he is all that matters because when we talk about this pick.

        And we can still get him as an FA.
        If I remember correctly, the earliest we can get Wiggins is:

        nearly 10-Years down the line?

        According to this:

        http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm

        2-Years Locked in, next 2-Team Options, last year QO.

        And then, if a team submits a QO, they're a RFA, meaning they can match.

        So...potentially 10-Years?

        Comment


        • #5
          We don't have the assets to get it. Not when Minny can dangle Love. Worse yet, making a big push for it could kill the team's chemistry and that chemistry is the best thing they have going for them heading into next year. So just say no to the chase for the first, and maybe fish for smaller deals that could let you move up to take a player that drops to the 8-12 range.

          Comment


          • #6
            phiLLy wrote: View Post
            If I remember correctly, the earliest we can get Wiggins is:

            nearly 10-Years down the line?

            According to this:

            http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm

            2-Years Locked in, next 2-Team Options, last year QO.

            And then, if a team submits a QO, they're a RFA, meaning they can match.

            So...potentially 10-Years?
            Fuck.

            Demand a trade Andrew!
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

            Comment


            • #7
              phiLLy wrote: View Post
              If I remember correctly, the earliest we can get Wiggins is:

              nearly 10-Years down the line?
              It's true that the rookie's team can match an offer made to a restricted free agent, but if the RFA makes it clear he doesn't want to play for his team, they'll trade him before it ever gets to that point. More to the point, we've only seen four max deals for RFAs since the new CBA dropped: John Wall, Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins and James Harden. If Wiggins is a growth prospect who'll need time to develop he might well be gettable.

              Comment


              • #8
                phiLLy wrote: View Post
                If I remember correctly, the earliest we can get Wiggins is:

                nearly 10-Years down the line?

                According to this:

                http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm

                2-Years Locked in, next 2-Team Options, last year QO.

                And then, if a team submits a QO, they're a RFA, meaning they can match.

                So...potentially 10-Years?
                Max offers to retain the player as a RFA would be 5 years I believe. But I also believe a team can have only one 5-year max extended player on the roster from players they drafted. So if Irving stays in Cleveland and gets a 5 year max deal, when Wiggins/Embiid would be up for a new deal, they would only be able to offer a 4 year max deal.

                So I think max 9 years before he's a UFA, and that's assuming Irving leaves or doesn't sign a 5-year max deal if he stays.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Our only hope is for Wiggins to sulk and pull a Wince, essentially forcing management to trade him.

                  But the odds of that happening are slim to none.

                  Look like we'll have to set our sights on the next, yet-to-be-named, Canadian phenom instead....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you were eligible for a Max contract would you take it to stay in Cleveland, Milwaukee or even Minnesota?? I wouldn't.....take the QO and leave as a unrestricted free agent at the end of the following season. Those teams are just awful....bad management and a history of wasting player talent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      special1 wrote: View Post
                      If you were eligible for a Max contract would you take it to stay in Cleveland, Milwaukee or even Minnesota?? I wouldn't.....take the QO and leave as a unrestricted free agent at the end of the following season. Those teams are just awful....bad management and a history of wasting player talent.
                      Thats easy to say, but once you have the chance to walk away from $10M, I doubt you do it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        special1 wrote: View Post
                        If you were eligible for a Max contract would you take it to stay in Cleveland, Milwaukee or even Minnesota?? I wouldn't.....take the QO and leave as a unrestricted free agent at the end of the following season. Those teams are just awful....bad management and a history of wasting player talent.
                        I'm sure some guy in Minnesota could write the same thing with Toronto thrown in there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          special1 wrote: View Post
                          If you were eligible for a Max contract would you take it to stay in Cleveland, Milwaukee or even Minnesota?? I wouldn't.....take the QO and leave as a unrestricted free agent at the end of the following season. Those teams are just awful....bad management and a history of wasting player talent.
                          This is a funny comment. For one, it's much, MUCH easier to walk away from millions and millions of dollars in a hypothetical situation than it is to do it in actual practice. You're not the first person to hold a professional athlete to a different standard than we set for ourselves, but let's be honest, it's really hard to walk away from that guaranteed money. There's a reason that we hardly see any player take the QO/UFA route.

                          Secondly, Wiggin's decision will come 5 years from now, and who knows what those teams will look like when that times comes. Letter N just mentioned it, but the Raptors are coming off a similar stretch of mismanagement and letdown. We have one good season and now we're all convinced that we're an emerging destination for NBA stars. Reputations can change very quickly if you're able to find a little success.
                          Last edited by Fully; Fri May 23, 2014, 03:38 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Fully wrote: View Post
                            This is a funny comment. For one, it's much, MUCH easier to walk away from millions and millions of dollars in a hypothetical situation than it is to do it in actual practice. You're not the first person to hold a professional athlete to a different standard than we set for ourselves, but let's be honest, it's really hard to walk away from that guaranteed money. There's a reason that we hardly see any player take the QO/UFA route.

                            Secondly, Wiggin's decision will come 5 years from now, and who knows what those teams will look like then that times comes. Letter N just mentioned it, but the Raptors are coming off a similar stretch of mismanagement and letdown. We have one good season and now we're all convinced that we're an emerging destination for NBA stars. Reputations can change very quickly if you're able to find a little success.
                            Just a great post, agree with everything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Making a move to acquire any pick, not just the number 1 pick it one of those crapshoot deals that are high risk, low reward.

                              Let's say we did have the assets, and it would cost us derozan, JV and tross or another player, the first overall pick would have to replace, not just the skill level and production, but the chemistry and the results of the team we have now to make it worth it.

                              So we are giving up solid assets with further growth potential for only potential from one player. And that player has to ultimately create a better team in the long run than what we are reasonably sure we will get in the long run from the team we have now.

                              There is really no player that will change the course of our team that drastically on his own. Looking at the league, lebron is probably the only player who you could put scrubs around, and they could still win multiple playoff rounds.

                              I will always take a group of players who have performed in the past (even one year) and also have potential, than one player. Let's think championship here.
                              Last edited by BallaBalla; Fri May 23, 2014, 07:05 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X