No announcement yet.

Everything Cameron Payne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this kid coming out of college. Everyone knows how much I like big point guards. I think there peeping for a Lowry trade.

Comment

Some kids take longer. Thou that was a pretty weak draft.

Comment

Are we really going to cite a negative 2 season old (clutchpoints) article ? It seems he had pretty decent Summer League appearances (like Davis perhaps) leading to a partial guarantee. Let's see if he has improved/worked hard since which caught the Raps scouts' eye.

Comment

This was his 4th season playing in summer league. LOL he must be closing in on the most games played in summer league ever. Bruno played too this year so maybe they are pretty close
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

https://www.nba.com/video/2019/07/08...cramento-kings

does his best Lou Williams impersonation here, but going right.

Comment

One of the worst PG that i've ever seen(he's better than Loyd though).
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Payne led the Mavericks' Summer League team averaging 20 points on 51% shooting in the three games he suited up with Dallas. He also averaged 5 rebounds, 4 assists and nearly 3 steals.
                weird how Summer League performance translate and don't translate to NBA
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

It looks like I am one of the few that don't hate this signing. He has been stuck on some pretty disfuntional teams to start his career, starts off with Westbrook as a mentor then goes to the sinking ship that was the Chicago Bulls. If we are giving Stanly Johnson the benefit of the doubt maybe we should give Payne the same.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

We can be as optimistic as we like, but let's not pretend it wouldn't be absolutely shocking to see Payne contribute positively.

Payne ranked 480th out of 514 players in RPM last season. 90th of 107 PGs in PIPM. His turnover rate was almost as high as his usage rate, he had a career efficiency year and ended at 52% TS% (which is awful), dipped under 30% from 3, and produced .03 WS/48, the second worst rate of his career. He's posted a below replacement level VORP (by BPM) in every stint he's had with the exception of the tiny 9 game sample with Cleveland this past year, where he miraculously managed to produce at replacement level rates (not above replacement, just at replacement). He's been awful by most metrics his entire career, so this isn't a one year, situational thing where he was stuck in the wrong role, or under the wrong coach, or with the wrong teammates. He's just been awful.

Now, Masai tends to win his bets, so Payne will probably end up an all star or something. But this move definitely has shades of the Lorenzo Brown signing.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post

weird how Summer League performance translate and don't translate to NBA
                      Summer league often does a good job of showing you who can't play in the NBA. It doesn't often do a good job of showing you who will be a good NBA player.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Summer league often does a good job of showing you who can't play in the NBA. It doesn't often do a good job of showing you who will be a good NBA player.
                        Drops mike.

Comment

As a kick-the-tires signing I don't automatically hate it, although it really depends on the size of the guarantee - if it's a "lock him down for training camp" guarantee that's fine, but if it's the sort of guarantee that makes not signing him to the team counterproductive I like it much less.

Still, I understand it. The Raps need a bench guy who can get buckets off his own shot, because they don't really have one and Payne was showing signs of being that guy in summer league. But... eh. There are only so many lottery tickets and projects I want on one team if we're not outright tanking (which we shouldn't do), and McCaw, Boucher, Johnson, RHJ, Davis and Hernandez is forty percent of the roster already - and possibly add Loyd and Miller to that list as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X