Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Umm no, that's not what I said.

I said that I wouldn't make a pre-draft trade for a pick unless it's the #1 pick. There isn't any reason to really unless the other team demands that you make the deal right then and there. Better to know who you're getting at that spot.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to agree to terms before the draft (which I'm sure is what most teams do), I just wouldn't pull the trigger until that pick is on the board and I know who's available.
    You did say you would never trade assets for a pick before draft day unless it was the #1 pick. So this is contrary to what you said earlier because if a team did demand that you make a deal before draft day then why would you hesitate if it was say the 2nd or 3rd pick? Either way I think I'm debating semantics.

Let's say Amir was on the block for a draft pick.. who would you be willing to trade Amir for? Assuming salary isn't a concern. Do you think that guy would be available at 8?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      You did say you would never trade assets for a pick before draft day unless it was the #1 pick. So this is contrary to what you said earlier because if a team did demand that you make a deal before draft day then why would you hesitate if it was say the 2nd or 3rd pick? Either way I think I'm debating semantics.

Let's say Amir was on the block for a draft pick.. who would you be willing to trade Amir for? Assuming salary isn't a concern. Do you think that guy would be available at 8?
      I don't care about whether I "think the guy is available at 8" or not.

I talk to Sacramento and see if they're willing to trade Amir for #8 + Bad contract or whatever. If so, I wait till draft night, if my guy is there i pull the trigger. If I don't like anyone at 8 I keep Amir and move on.

Teams rarely trade up for the sake of trading up. They're usually targeting a player or a group of players. That's why we see most of these deals actually occur on draft night and not beforehand, despite most of them probably being arranged well before the draft itself.

Comment

My opinion is that the #8 pick is not likely worth taking on the contract of Thompson or Landry. I say this as someone who advocated Landry as a free agent target last summer...but he's not worth the money he's making, especially through 2017. And the same goes for Thompson. He's fairly productive but not a needle-mover and he costs way too much money.

I'm fine with trying to make a deal to move up in the draft, but even if we have to trade a decent piece, I don't want to take back crap just to make it work. Not unless we're talking a top 3-4 pick or something.

Comment

I don't care about whether I "think the guy is available at 8" or not.

I talk to Sacramento and see if they're willing to trade Amir for #8 + Bad contract or whatever. If so, I wait till draft night, if my guy is there i pull the trigger. If I don't like anyone at 8 I keep Amir and move on.

Teams rarely trade up for the sake of trading up. They're usually targeting a player or a group of players. That's why we see most of these deals actually occur on draft night and not beforehand, despite most of them probably being arranged well before the draft itself.
          Okay.. that's fine.. but who would you hope drops to 8 so that you'd be willing to trade them for Amir. I'm actually curious.

Like I said earlier.. I'd do the trade if Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum, Randle or Vonleh are available. Otherwise I tell Sacramento to go away. Is there someone else on your list that you'd want over Amir?

I don't think any of these guys will drop to 8 personally.

Comment

I think Orlando's #12 is far more gettable than Sacramento's #8, for one reason: Sacramento wants veterans (which we mostly don't have) and Orlando wants younger players (which we have in spades). #20 and T-Ross would probably get it done, if we wanted it: Orlando wants Ross and has for some time. (Alternately, Ross and the New York first-rounder might work.)

Of course, that demands that we ask who we want at #12 (or #8) in order to justify trading up.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              I think Orlando's #12 is far more gettable than Sacramento's #8, for one reason: Sacramento wants veterans (which we mostly don't have) and Orlando wants younger players (which we have in spades). #20 and T-Ross would probably get it done, if we wanted it: Orlando wants Ross and has for some time. (Alternately, Ross and the New York first-rounder might work.)

Of course, that demands that we ask who we want at #12 (or #8) in order to justify trading up.
              Don't particularly like that trade anyway. Might consider it, but there would have to be a damn amazing prospect available at 12. Ross is a fine asset, and using him for a late lottery pick seems like a poor choice. Rather keep him, and if we have to trade him, have it be for a more sure thing like as part of a package for a great player already in the league. *And frankly, think you should only even consider the deal if you can get the pick for Ross alone.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri May 23, 2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

#20 and Ross for #12.

Lol just lol. Like that is just terrible for us. Doubt I'd even do Ross for #12 straight up.

Comment

No trading rookie scale guys. If you trade anything, it's veteran guys for picks. Trading rookie scale guys for picks makes no sense unless you are getting high into the early lotto.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ross and NY first rounder for Orlando's 2014 and 2015 pick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                      Ross and NY first rounder for Orlando's 2014 and 2015 pick.

Lol....

Why the hell would Orlando give us the 4th pick in this draft and potentially a pick just as high in next year's draft for Ross (when they have a great SG prospect in Oladipo and a very good starting SG in Afflalo) and the unknown value of the Knicks 2016 pick?

Let's not be delusional about Ross' value.

Comment

Lol....

Why the hell would Orlando give us the 4th pick in this draft and potentially a pick just as high in next year's draft for Ross (when they have a great SG prospect in Oladipo and a very good starting SG in Afflalo) and the unknown value of the Knicks 2016 pick?

Let's not be delusional about Ross' value.
                        I meant their 12th.. and true, I didn't mean it seriously just cause I read that they were interested in him.

Comment

It's interesting. I think they could be interested in Amir.

But I think you need a 3rd team to take that no.20 pick and possibly other assets and give them another piece. If they are trading a mid-lottery pick in a good draft, they aren't hoping to fix one problem and win a few more games, and develop some rookie they draft at no.20. That's a power move, they want to fix multiple problems and make the playoffs. They will want this trade to give them a realistic chance to make the playoffs now.

And I don't think Amir alone puts them into playoff contention. The West is too deep, and they won only 28 games. They do have a good amount of talent but they have multiple holes. Defense, shooting, vet leadership, depth.

I think this would have to be a 3 team deal that sends them Amir plus another good piece or two.

Maybe add Orlando. I imagine Jameer and Afflalo are both available, and both would address Kings' needs. Maybe they'd give them up for the no.20 and another pick from the Kings, or some other asset. A group of I.Thomas, Afflalo, Gay, Amir, Cousins, Jameer and McLemore looks like a playoff team even out West.

Comment

as we are on the topic on trading draft pics... Who was the player you wanted to get in the 2012 draft ? And would you now use the 20th overall pick to help recieve that player ?

Comment

Father rev wrote: View Post
                              as we are on the topic on trading draft pics... Who was the player you wanted to get in the 2012 draft ? And would you now use the 20th overall pick to help recieve that player ?
                              Drummond.. After I saw his combine numbers, I thought "what the fuck, the Bobcats have to draft him #2 no matter what, right?" The most physically talented player maybe ever? Since Wilt? A player like that does not need a single basketball skill to be a starter.

I understand why teams passed on him. Terrible interviews where he said he wanted to be like Durant, concerns that he might get fat or doesn't love basketball. But since I wasn't sitting in those interviews, I obviously couldn't be influenced by that stuff as much as GMs. And all those interviews and background checks are obviously very important. But in this case it looks like GMs would've been better off just ignoring all that.

Comment

Working...
                              X