• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowry/Fred
    Powell/RHJ
    OG/Johnson
    Pascal/Boucher
    Gasol/Ibaka

McCaw will likely get decent minutes as well, he's more than serviceable as an off ball guard, good defender with a decent shot. I can see it happening, but I really hope it doesn't, is Fred starting next to Kyle. There will be plenty of minutes for Fred off the bench, as it's likely Lowry's minutes load won't be excessive this season. Gasol will also have a larger role in the offence...not Memphis levels but likely higher than last season...and we'll need that. The offensive success of the team though will depend heavily on Siakim continuing to improve, OG taking a big leap and showing some on ball skills, and Powell as well just being consistent and doing what he does best without overextending himself. Defensively, we should be very good again, so the key will be finding ways to keep the offence efficient. And if worse comes to worse, Masai has clearly structured the roster and contracts so that he may be able to make an offer if a good player becomes available. I think this team will surprise.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post

Didn’t the mavs get passed the spurs that year that Vince hit that game winner?

i wouldn’t mind being the mavs. Field some competitive and fun teams and then happen into a potentially top 3 in the league duo of young talent.
      no i believe they took the spurs to 7 and the spurs won the championship against the heatles.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Lowry/Fred
        Powell/RHJ
        OG/Johnson
        Pascal/Boucher
        Gasol/Ibaka

McCaw will likely get decent minutes as well, he's more than serviceable as an off ball guard, good defender with a decent shot. I can see it happening, but I really hope it doesn't, is Fred starting next to Kyle. There will be plenty of minutes for Fred off the bench, as it's likely Lowry's minutes load won't be excessive this season. Gasol will also have a larger role in the offence...not Memphis levels but likely higher than last season...and we'll need that. The offensive success of the team though will depend heavily on Siakim continuing to improve, OG taking a big leap and showing some on ball skills, and Powell as well just being consistent and doing what he does best without overextending himself. Defensively, we should be very good again, so the key will be finding ways to keep the offence efficient. And if worse comes to worse, Masai has clearly structured the roster and contracts so that he may be able to make an offer if a good player becomes available. I think this team will surprise.
        RHJ is a power forward through and through. He’s got basically no range as a shooter.

It would be nice to have a taller ball handling guard off the bench to keep Fred off the ball as much as possible.

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post

no i believe they took the spurs to 7 and the spurs won the championship against the heatles.
          Yes you’re right.

Comment

RHJ is a power forward through and through. He’s got basically no range as a shooter.

It would be nice to have a taller ball handling guard off the bench to keep Fred off the ball as much as possible.
            Matt Thomas is a great shooter but also handled the ball a good bit overseas. Could see him as a threat in the high PnR if they can develop a threatening roll man in that unit (be it Serge popping to midrange or maybe an RHJ heading to the hoop with speed).
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Satoransky would have been a nice pickup, but he was too expensive and went to the Bulls along with Thad Young. Bulls are my sleeper pick for a surprise playoff spot next season.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Matt Thomas is a great shooter but also handled the ball a good bit overseas. Could see him as a threat in the high PnR if they can develop a threatening roll man in that unit (be it Serge popping to midrange or maybe an RHJ heading to the hoop with speed).
                A VV/Thomas backcourt has some serious negative defensive potential in certain matchups.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

A VV/Thomas backcourt has some serious negative defensive potential in certain matchups.
                  Meh, off the bench I wouldn't be concerned. And in certain matchups they can always stagger some minutes differently, get Thomas some minutes shooting with the starters, let Powell play the bigger SG ball handling role subbing off early and coming back in with the bench.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Really? He's smaller than Stanley Johnson...same height at 6'7" but less about 30 lbs, according to basketball reference. I figured he might be suitable as a wing, and considering Johnson's size I slotted him in at the 2. But if that's the case than I'll go as follows:

Lowry/FVV
                    Powell/McCaw
                    OG/Johnson
                    Pascal/RHJ/Boucher
                    Gasol/Ibaka

Man, that frontcourt looks very jammed and not much shooting. I guess RHJ could compete for minutes at the 3 too, but if all he really brings to the table is D than I'd lean towards Boucher getting more minutes to help space the floor and see what the kid can do with regular minutes. I guess there will be a lot of match up dependent lineups. And I'm not familiar at all with Thomas and Hernandez so I'm not sure how they may fit in.

Comment

I'd think Thomas would get those backup SG minutes. Need some scoring off the bench.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Well, except there are some wild cards. If OG takes a big leap then you've got much better players at the forward positions than the pre-Leonard teams ever had. Matt Thomas is a name that seems to have been forgotten amidst all the new end-of-rotation guys but if he can shoot that would give them better shooting than any of those teams.

I think they need to let this play out for awhile and see what happens. We may be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'm not that concerned. Team won a title. They've bought at least 5 years of goodwill from me and it's not as though MLSE sold its future to win the title. Organizationally, Raptorland is in great shape.
                        I think the key to keep in mind is that Masai is sticking around, and in terms of front office/ownership quality and stability we are up at the very top of the NBA. That counts for a lot
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          I'd think Thomas would get those backup SG minutes. Need some scoring off the bench.
                          I think so too. Hopefully his defence is terrible and hopefully he can handle to ball. Haven't watched any film of him. I just know he can shoot
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

kyle/fvv
                            norm/fvv/Thomas
                            og/Johnson
                            pascal/rhj
                            marc/serge/Boucher
                            Boucher
                            think FVV will essentially play starters minutes coming off the bench. will be the back up pg but also play alot of 2 pg ball with lowry. with Thomas soaking up a few extra minutes. Boucher will get a little bit of burn as we will give both marc and serge some good load management as they creep up in minutes played. ideally if its a matchup that suits serge he get starts and marc gets the day off.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                              kyle/fvv
                              norm/fvv/Thomas
                              og/Johnson
                              pascal/rhj
                              marc/serge/Boucher
                              Boucher
                              think FVV will essentially play starters minutes coming off the bench. will be the back up pg but also play alot of 2 pg ball with lowry. with Thomas soaking up a few extra minutes. Boucher will get a little bit of burn as we will give both marc and serge some good load management as they creep up in minutes played. ideally if its a matchup that suits serge he get starts and marc gets the day off.
                              I don't know if we'll see a lot of load management this year. We have to remember that Lowry, FVV, Serge and Gasol are all heading into free agency. Doesn't matter how old they are... guys always want to get enough minutes to put up good numbers in the last year of their contract.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

I don't know if we'll see a lot of load management this year. We have to remember that Lowry, FVV, Serge and Gasol are all heading into free agency. Doesn't matter how old they are... guys always want to get enough minutes to put up good numbers in the last year of their contract.
                                Maybe Marc gets time off.. not on the scale of what Leonard did last year but some.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X