Trade or Run Out the String?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    If they wait for the deadline to move all their vets, the market will probably shrink to where they can only find a good deal for one or two of them anyway. Heck, they've waited too long as it is, in all likelihood.

Ultimately, the choice to win or not will come down to whether they trade Lowry. Either of Gasol or Serge would be fine at C. No idea what the Raptors' intent is. Decision might be made for them - if they are killing it at the deadline, probably ride that wave. If they are sitting in the 6-8 range and the offence has scuttled or they've had some injuries, I imagine they sell, sell, sell.
    Sure they waited too long to get the best value, but thats really just because they waited for Kawhi. After that the best option was waiting for the season to start imo.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Sure they waited too long to get the best value, but thats really just because they waited for Kawhi. After that the best option was waiting for the season to start imo.
      Nah, I think there was a solid window in mid-July if they wanted to make moves. Next window is December, then the deadline. I suspect both markets will be thinner than the mid-July window would have been, but meaty enough to find a worthwhile landing spot for one or two guys if they really want to.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Nah, I think there was a solid window in mid-July if they wanted to make moves. Next window is December, then the deadline. I suspect both markets will be thinner than the mid-July window would have been, but meaty enough to find a worthwhile landing spot for one or two guys if they really want to.
        what do you think will happen

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

what do you think will happen
          Really hard to predict Masai. But I think maybe they enter the season as is, ride that championship wave for a bit, then find a home for one of the C's (who will both likely be chafing under limited minutes) in December when the trade market opens up, try to take in a draft pick for some bad salary (through 2020-21 only). Then they'll take a look at the deadline, and if they think they can make a deep run they keep going, while if they are falling out of home court they at least explore options for trading any other expirings left (Lowry, the other C, maybe even FVV). Though I suspect they'd find a worthwhile move for only one or maybe if they are lucky two of them at that point.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Unfortunately, looking around the league I don't see a lot of suitors who would both want Ibaka/Gasol for this season and have salary that ends in 2021 that they'd be willing to dump. Best I could see was Boston with Hayward and Miami with Olynyk/Waiters but the Heat basically can't trade any picks because the alternating years are all owed to OKC.

Comment

If the 2020 free agency class wasn't bad enough.. Draymond just signed a $100M extension to stay in GSW. DeMar and Kyle might be the best two possible options left.. which could mean they each get big contracts.

If the Warriors want to have a smaller tax bill next year.. perhaps they wouldn't mind doing a D'Angelo/Kyle swap this deadline? We get the younger PG that is on a long term deal. They get arguably the better guard for this season's playoff run. He then becomes a free agent. Masai gives Lowry one more legit shot at a ring. Trading Lowry would be hard to do.. but that's the type of trade I'd be looking for. Ie, swapping Lowry for a PG of the future.

We could even then bring back Lowry in 2020 if we wanted to. Would be pretty awesome to pull that off. It's not like we would need his Bird Right's to resign him. Just cap space.. which we'll have a lot of.

Comment

I think it would be more likely to move ibaka or gasol for russell than lowry. Either way, it will be predicated on klay looking like he'll return for the playoffs, so the warriors will have to know well in advance and be confidant klay will return, otherwise they likely stand pat with russell and pursue trades in the offseason.

But that is the type of move i expect MU will be looking at. The team has options. If we approach the deadline in pretty good shape, then i imagine we'll be buyers looking to beef up the roster for a title defence. Someone like beal or russell might be targets in that scenario. If we aren't in good shape around the deadline, then we likely approach it as sellers, and try to move those vet expirings for picks and prospects. I know many think the return for those players will be greatly reduced at the deadline, but any contending team that needs another piece to sure up their roster may want to give something up if the chip looks wide open.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  I think it would be more likely to move ibaka or gasol for russell than lowry. Either way, it will be predicated on klay looking like he'll return for the playoffs, so the warriors will have to know well in advance and be confidant klay will return, otherwise they likely stand pat with russell and pursue trades in the offseason.

But that is the type of move i expect MU will be looking at. The team has options. If we approach the deadline in pretty good shape, then i imagine we'll be buyers looking to beef up the roster for a title defence. Someone like beal or russell might be targets in that scenario. If we aren't in good shape around the deadline, then we likely approach it as sellers, and try to move those vet expirings for picks and prospects. I know many think the return for those players will be greatly reduced at the deadline, but any contending team that needs another piece to sure up their roster may want to give something up if the chip looks wide open.
                  OR we ship Gasol to GSW, get GSW to send D. Russell to the Nuggets, and see if we can scoop Jamal Murray after his Poison Pill kicks in.

Comment

c-troop wrote: View Post

OR we ship Gasol to GSW, get GSW to send D. Russell to the Nuggets, and see if we can scoop Jamal Murray after his Poison Pill kicks in.
                    Why on earth would Denver do this? Jamal Murray is locked up for the next 5 years including this one, is just 22 years old, is pretty much on par with D'Lo and he's not paid that much more than him when his extension starts.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

Why on earth would Denver do this? Jamal Murray is locked up for the next 5 years including this one, is just 22 years old, is pretty much on par with D'Lo and he's not paid that much more than him when his extension starts.
                      We should see if Denver will throw in that Jokic guy

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post

We should see if Denver will throw in that Jokic guy
                        Well, the Warrior's reason for doing it is they don't have much of a defensive presence at the post besides Draymond and WCS and they are well aware of what our bigs could do for them already + Denver has Jokic, Portland has Whiteside, LA has Davis and Cousins, Utah has Gobert, Houston has Capella and they will potentially need a match up for those bigs next year to make it out of the West.

D'Lo is GSW's trade chip, and Gasol and/or Ibaka could instantly make them a threat again if Klay can get healthy. Plus they get an expiring contract(s).

If Denver hears that we are sending Gasol+ to the GSW they will most certainly not trade Jokic. They will feel pressure to get better in a hurry.
                        (I read that post as sarcasm yet found it dismissive and unintelligent.)

If Denver hears we are sending Gasol+ (and/or possible picks) to GSW for D'angelo, Denver might offer up Jamal to us for D'angelo and try to sell us on their Canadian star... because Denver will feel the pressure to get better and their contracts are very similar. They might even offer us picks if we show disinterest.

and truthfully, it is obvious D'Lo is naturally the better point guard, Denver would be practically getting a free upgrade... D'Lo plays better defence, he gets more assists, more points ... he is a true 1/2, not a 2/1

Yet the big draw for the Raptors would be having a Canadian star, which would be a great culture change for the Raps moving forward.

and if we keep FVV it could be a nice line up with Murray at the 2.

I see it as: Gasol* + future first to GSW for D'Lo > D'Lo to the nuggets for Jamal Murray > Jamal Murray to the Raps

Comment

c-troop wrote: View Post

Well, the Warrior's reason for doing it is they don't have much of a defensive presence at the post besides Draymond and WCS and they are well aware of what our bigs could do for them already + Denver has Jokic, Portland has Whiteside, LA has Davis and Cousins, Utah has Gobert, Houston has Capella and they will potentially need a match up for those bigs next year to make it out of the West.

D'Lo is GSW's trade chip, and Gasol and/or Ibaka could instantly make them a threat again if Klay can get healthy. Plus they get an expiring contract(s).

If Denver hears that we are sending Gasol+ to the GSW they will most certainly not trade Jokic. They will feel pressure to get better in a hurry.
                          (I read that post as sarcasm yet found it dismissive and unintelligent.)

If Denver hears we are sending Gasol+ (and/or possible picks) to GSW for D'angelo, Denver might offer up Jamal to us for D'angelo and try to sell us on their Canadian star... because Denver will feel the pressure to get better and their contracts are very similar. They might even offer us picks if we show disinterest.

and truthfully, it is obvious D'Lo is naturally the better point guard, Denver would be practically getting a free upgrade... D'Lo plays better defence, he gets more assists, more points ... he is a true 1/2, not a 2/1

Yet the big draw for the Raptors would be having a Canadian star, which would be a great culture change for the Raps moving forward.

and if we keep FVV it could be a nice line up with Murray at the 2.

I see it as: Gasol* + future first to GSW for D'Lo > D'Lo to the nuggets for Jamal Murray > Jamal Murray to the Raps
                          D'Lo is not better than Jamal Murray. Your logic here is absolutely abysmal.

Comment

Masai is wise to see what he has. He added a lot of pieces and hopefully one or two of those will step up. If that happens there are many more options at the trade deadline.

Comment

Abysmal? D'Lo is an All-Star already and Murray is not. No argument. Murray has only played on one good team, also.

The Warriors have zero post defence in a stacked Western Conference.

Sorry, my fetal alcohol syndrome has ruined my ability to interpolate new ideas and understand logical organizational developments.

Comment

Yep. And Russell was a total flop in the playoffs (85 ORTG). I mean that's really, really bad.

Meanwhile, Murray was a playoff stud (115 ORTG) in the West. If Murray continues his growth and was in the East, he could be a fringe all-star like Russell.

Comment

Working...
                                X