Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about Landry Fields next season?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Actually that's not really correct.

    He does have value to a team trying to free up cap space for 2015 free agency. They could send a long-term deal our way and a draft pick for his expiring contract.

    That's about the only situation I can think of though.
    Scenario B) A team trying to trade for a superstar doesn't have a nice shiny expiring contract to make the salaries match, and needs to throw in 8 mil of expirings to make the trade happen. That's when we jump in for the price of a measly second rounder (Also known as Hinkie Gold)
    @Boymusic66

    Comment


    • #17
      stooley wrote: View Post
      lol



      yeah... ish. he needs to be able to offer some offense. right now guys just clog the lane and keep him in their peripheral, it's too easy for the d.
      He offers plenty when used correctly. It's no coincidence the team was effective both offensively and defensively with him on the court in the playoffs (and in the two significant games he played since returning from surgery). Yes, the defence will sag if you just stand him in the corner, but what sort of idiotic coach would do that? Have him set off ball screens, cut baseline, and handle the ball as a secondary option and he's very effective.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • #18
        TSF wrote: View Post
        Scenario B) A team trying to trade for a superstar doesn't have a nice shiny expiring contract to make the salaries match, and needs to throw in 8 mil of expirings to make the trade happen. That's when we jump in for the price of a measly second rounder (Also known as Hinkie Gold)
        That wouldn't fix their problem unless we are also taking back long term salary. In which case I want a lot more than a 2nd rounder.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • #19
          He is overpaid but a solid defender off the bench could be trade filler or something also I was channel flipping and in this show called sing your face off Landry is a contestant he was dressed as Lionel richie singing karaoke next week on the show he's dressed as pitbull he didn't do too bad got like 25/30 by the judges. He's appearing on a tv show instead of working on ball in the off season wtf

          Comment


          • #20
            DanH wrote: View Post
            He offers plenty when used correctly. It's no coincidence the team was effective both offensively and defensively with him on the court in the playoffs (and in the two significant games he played since returning from surgery). Yes, the defence will sag if you just stand him in the corner, but what sort of idiotic coach would do that? Have him set off ball screens, cut baseline, and handle the ball as a secondary option and he's very effective.
            I guess you're right to an extent.

            but then we've got two guys who can ONLY do that on the court in him and Amir... spacing is at such a premium these days that we'd be limited to playing him in very specific, shoot-heavy lineups.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

            -Superjudge, 7/23

            Hope you're wrong.

            Comment


            • #21
              We've got an issue if we are starting Landry, but I'm happy with him being the back up SF, and getting 15-25 mins per game.

              Defensively he is sound. And although he has NO shot (and probably won't ever have a shot). He sees the floor well as both a passer and cutter, he moves a lot on offense, which makes the defense think and react more, which can cause mixups/mistakes that can be exploited. He isn't worth 8 or even 6 million at this point, but he's on the roster and I think he's useful. Also, playing him is more likely to increase any trade value than decrease it.

              Fields should be higher on the depth chart than Salmons, and it's a shame Casey didn't realize that during round 1. May have been a small difference maker.

              Scoring, which comes from shooting is the last action in an offensive sequence, but it's one of many (passing, dribbling, cutting, screening), Fields is better than average at ALL of those skills minus shooting. Does that make him a +offensively? No. But I don't think it's unrealistic for him to be a net neutral player on offense.

              plus Defense and neutral offense = pretty good bench player, especially if you second unit has a lot scorers (Vasquez, Patterson, 1 of Lowry, Derozan, Ross). I think he's a got a skill set that is a great fit. And unless/until the raps have a younger player (via trade or draft) Fields is my first wing off the bench. Even if Salmons isn't waived.

              IF he could shoot even a little bit, (again don't think that happens) OR you find him a way to get 1-2 cuts for lay ups (I think can happen) and an occasional put back he is easily a + on the floor.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

              "I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

              "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

              Comment


              • #22
                Trading Fields right now would be one of those "sell low" situations. The guy's trade value is as low as it's every been.

                Keep him over the summer and see if he can get some of his shooting form back. It's worth the risk.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Will sit at the end of the bench and will contribute like a 10 or 11th person and someone who is suppose to make 2-2.5 million a year because that is who he really is ...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    DanH wrote: View Post
                    He offers plenty when used correctly. It's no coincidence the team was effective both offensively and defensively with him on the court in the playoffs (and in the two significant games he played since returning from surgery). Yes, the defence will sag if you just stand him in the corner, but what sort of idiotic coach would do that? Have him set off ball screens, cut baseline, and handle the ball as a secondary option and he's very effective.
                    I also like the idea of playing Fields on a 2nd unit that includes a stretch-4 (Patterson), so that he isn't required to play on the perimeter so much. He's solid defensively, plays well off the ball, is a good passer... as long as he's part of a balanced lineup, his weaknesses can avoided.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      No way, he won't sit at the bench. Buuuuuuutttt, he will stand at the side and SING.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Another LF vid.......

                        http://www.raptorscage.ca/video-land...sportsprss.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                          We've got an issue if we are starting Landry, but I'm happy with him being the back up SF, and getting 15-25 mins per game.

                          Defensively he is sound. And although he has NO shot (and probably won't ever have a shot). He sees the floor well as both a passer and cutter, he moves a lot on offense, which makes the defense think and react more, which can cause mixups/mistakes that can be exploited. He isn't worth 8 or even 6 million at this point, but he's on the roster and I think he's useful. Also, playing him is more likely to increase any trade value than decrease it.

                          Fields should be higher on the depth chart than Salmons, and it's a shame Casey didn't realize that during round 1. May have been a small difference maker.

                          Scoring, which comes from shooting is the last action in an offensive sequence, but it's one of many (passing, dribbling, cutting, screening), Fields is better than average at ALL of those skills minus shooting. Does that make him a +offensively? No. But I don't think it's unrealistic for him to be a net neutral player on offense.

                          plus Defense and neutral offense = pretty good bench player, especially if you second unit has a lot scorers (Vasquez, Patterson, 1 of Lowry, Derozan, Ross). I think he's a got a skill set that is a great fit. And unless/until the raps have a younger player (via trade or draft) Fields is my first wing off the bench. Even if Salmons isn't waived.

                          IF he could shoot even a little bit, (again don't think that happens) OR you find him a way to get 1-2 cuts for lay ups (I think can happen) and an occasional put back he is easily a + on the floor.
                          I really think we need to find a good shot coach who can look back at his prior form and see what's changed and help him fix it. I mean, he hit .39 from three on 2.7 shots per game. I don't know what went wrong since, but at some point, he had it.
                          @Boymusic66

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            TSF wrote: View Post
                            I really think we need to find a good shot coach who can look back at his prior form and see what's changed and help him fix it. I mean, he hit .39 from three on 2.7 shots per game. I don't know what went wrong since, but at some point, he had it.
                            Definitely, although that nerve damage may have completely destroyed his shot mechanics, and he could still be working on getting his shot back.

                            Regardless, Fields deserved Salmon's minutes.

                            And to be honest, I don't think that Fields was bad on the offensive end. I remember how, during the playoffs, he was trying to be aggressive and to get to the rim. He never got any calls, but then again neither did our stars, either. (I mean this in terms of getting a call when it was actually deserved vs. when it wasn't. The refs were notorious for missing calls.).

                            He's still a high flyer, and in his limited minutes, he did throw it down. That dunk vs Orlando is still resonating in my head.

                            Bottom line, Masaii should try and see what he can get out of Fields during the early part of next season. If his play is not worthy of a backup SF, then he should put him on the trading block. If it is worthy, then by all means he should be retained.

                            Im still a firm believer in the idea that if Fields was put on Joe Johnson during the playoffs for a greater allotment of minutes, the whole dynamic of many of the games could have changed. We were in need of a Joe Johnson stopper during the playoffs when in fact he was glued to the pine.

                            Video evidence:

                            Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Sun Jun 1st, 2014, 02:51 PM.
                            I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                            -random Facebook user. 2016

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              You know who I wouldn't mind getting? James Johnson as a defensive specialist.
                              @Boymusic66

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                The problem with Johnson was that he couldn't shoot, BUT still liked to do it too much. Landry knows he can't shoot so he doesn't take bad shots.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

                                "I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

                                "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X