2019-20 Player Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Vanvleet, Saric and Bogdanovic were the biggest snubs on this list imo. FVV even got a vote for finals MVP and was the backup PG on the NBA champions, I thought he'd crack the top 100
    Fred was mentioned in their snub list:

Fred VanVleet, Raptors: VanVleet made some enormous, gutsy plays for the Raptors on their way to the championship. He also completely disappeared for about two straight weeks. The complete version of VanVleet, where we take the bad with the good, just isn’t quite consistent enough to crack the list.
    Can't quite disagree.. he was a disaster in the first few rounds before his kid was born.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Well giving we are already talking about the top 3, any guesses what S.I will write (they should omit Durant from consideration since he ain't playing this season).

Injuries and injury risks are an inevitable component of this judgment. That proved especially painful this season, as Kevin Durant,DeMarcus Cousins, and John Wall—three fixtures of the Top 100—did not make the cut specifically as a result of their long-term injuries.

My guess:

1. Giannis
      2. Lebron
      3. Kawhi.

Giannis will be number 1 considering he was last season's MVP and he plays in the weaker Eastern Conference.

This list is an attempt to evaluate each player in a vacuum, independent of his current team context as much as possible. We’re not evaluating Kemba Walker as a Celtic, but as a concept. Same for Giannis.

Lebron always has the talent and past success to show for and not be dismissed giving it was 1 bad year riddled with injuries and it will help his cause to have Davis in L.A.

See above "independent of his current team"

Kawhi - Playoffs MVP and a Champion, enough said.

Past performance (postseason included) weighed heavily in our assessment, with a skew toward the recent.

Comment

Although closer in my estimation than I would have had it before the playoffs, I would still build around Giannis just before Kawhi

Comment

Lowry ranked 28th

SI thinks Pascal is our best player and the 24th best in the league.

Pretty high praise, considering Derozan never got near that high at his peak

“What earned Siakam the Most Improved Player award last season wasn’t his energy or his defense. It was the emergence of a viable one-on-one game from a puff of smoke.. If Siakam is really this damn good at attacking creating for himself—revelations which vaulted him from outside our Top 100 last year all the way to 24 this year—who’s to say what he can’t do next?”
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Reading that Lowry blurb... man, he's going to get traded at the deadline somewhere isn't he?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              Reading that Lowry blurb... man, he's going to get traded at the deadline somewhere isn't he?
              I honestly think if I'm masai I leave it up to kyle Lowry. Does he want to go chase anothe ring right away, or is he comfortable where he is?

masai made the "ruthless" move to trade DeRozan when we needed it. I dont think he needs to make another cold move just for a couple 2nd round picks and some crappy expiring deals

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Fred was mentioned in their snub list:

Can't quite disagree.. he was a disaster in the first few rounds before his kid was born.
                Fred should be thrilled to even get a 'snub' mention, because he's basically a Patty Mills doppelganger. The stats are eerily similar - check it out...

http://bkref.com/tiny/pWXYH

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I honestly think if I'm masai I leave it up to kyle Lowry. Does he want to go chase anothe ring right away, or is he comfortable where he is?

masai made the "ruthless" move to trade DeRozan when we needed it. I dont think he needs to make another cold move just for a couple 2nd round picks and some crappy expiring deals
                  I think Lowry definitely carries more value than "couple of 2nd rounders and expiring contracts". Lowry already is expiring, so there's no reason for us to trade him for expiring deals. I could see a team like the Lakers, 76ers, Bucks etc. getting desperate and wanting to add a 3rd "Star".

I'd prefer we keep him though and let him make his mind up next off-season, unless we get an absolute godfather offer.
                  Last edited by Joey; Thu Sep 12, 2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

I think Lowry definitely carries more value than "couple of 2nd rounders and expiring contracts". Lowry already is expiring, so there's no reason for us to trade him for expiring deals. I could see a team like the Lakers, 76ers, Bucks etc. getting desperate and wanting to add a 3rd "Star".

I'd prefer we keep him though and let him make his mind up next off-season, unless we get an absolute godfather offer.
                    Lowry is a win now player.....
                    The Lakers have no picks left and all their young players are in New Orleans... so they really don't have much to trade.
                    The Hinkies are a team to watch.. They don't have a PG.. Yes I know Ben Simmons lines up there but he still can't shoot. They have picks and some young pllayers and sending Kyle home is a nice gesture.
                    The Bucks have picks but they would be very low first rounders....Not sure who they have in the way of young players...
                    Orlando needs a PG in the worst way and aftersigning up Vuc and Ross they are in win now mode... They too have picks and some young prospects....

Other than that.. can't think of who needs a win now PG that has something to trade ?
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

Dont forget, Lowry is a 34 year old rental, and teams will need to send a lot of salary back to make it work

I think, barring the raptors being absolute crap, you keep him for your own playoff run in a not so scary east. And then try and bring him back again at like 60% of his current salary

Comment

Dont forget, Lowry is a 34 year old rental, and teams will need to send a lot of salary back to make it work

I think, barring the raptors being absolute crap, you keep him for your own playoff run in a not so scary east. And then try and bring him back again at like 60% of his current salary
                        Yeah, but if we extend Pascal at the max then we still need expiring salaries for the summer of Giannis (2021). Is Lowry going to sign for 1 year? Unlikely.... unless the offer is $45M for 1 year, or something silly like that. Then there's Ibaka, FVV and Gasol to deal with.

Comment

Yeah I'd leave Lowry be. The only teams that would theoretically provide good return for Lowry would be teams on the verge of winning, but don't have good PG, and there isn't a team like that:

Warriors - Curry
                          Blazers - Dame
                          Jazz - Conley
                          Rockets - Westbrook
                          Bucks - Bledsoe (meh but passable, and they just gave him a big deal)
                          Celtics - Kemba
                          Philly - Simmons (That's actually a bit of a wildcard, because if Philly internally gives up on Simmons shooting they will need an emergency PG)

The other teams are in rebuild and wouldn't be in need of an older win-now PG, and therefore would only offer a crappy return.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah I'd leave Lowry be. The only teams that would theoretically provide good return for Lowry would be teams on the verge of winning, but don't have good PG, and there isn't a team like that:

Warriors - Curry
                            Blazers - Dame
                            Jazz - Conley
                            Rockets - Westbrook
                            Bucks - Bledsoe (meh but passable, and they just gave him a big deal)
                            Celtics - Kemba
                            Philly - Simmons (That's actually a bit of a wildcard, because if Philly internally gives up on Simmons shooting they will need an emergency PG)

The other teams are in rebuild and wouldn't be in need of an older win-now PG, and therefore would only offer a crappy return.
                            I'd add Dallas to the mix of teams that "think they are contenders and need a legit PG", but you underestimate the boundless incompetence of certain front offices like: Suns, Hornets and Masai's favorite pigeon.... the Knicks. And the Cavs, sans Lebron.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, but if we extend Pascal at the max then we still need expiring salaries for the summer of Giannis (2021). Is Lowry going to sign for 1 year? Unlikely.... unless the offer is $45M for 1 year, or something silly like that. Then there's Ibaka, FVV and Gasol to deal with.
                              Hate to burst your guys bubbles but the summer of giannis is nothing but a pipe dream. The whole "cap space for a big summer" strategy is very New York Knicky..masai all about that asset management then swooping in for trades

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

Past performance (postseason included) weighed heavily in our assessment, with a skew toward the recent.
                                and yet I was almost right.

S.I official Ranking of the top 3.

1. Giannis
                                2. Kawhi
                                3 Lebron

Comment

Working...
                                X