2019-20 Player Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    ...Is there a deal there for Dallas ? One year of Kyle with bird rights to resign him for a lower amount in exchange for a good chance to make this year playoffs ? Dallas would have to give up on one of Powell or Wright plus Lee... and maybe a 2nd round pick. Do they do it ? Do we do it or just take the 33M in cap relief to sign a free agent that conceiveably will be better than those Dallas roster players ?
    Put me down for door #3.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

Put me down for door #3.
      which is ?
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

which is ?
        Personally I'd be re-signing Lowry to a silly 1 year deal and trying to get him to retire a Raptor on a more reasonable contract thereafter. Keep the team competitive until we try to hit the jackpot with our cap space in 2021.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Personally I'd be re-signing Lowry to a silly 1 year deal and trying to get him to retire a Raptor on a more reasonable contract thereafter. Keep the team competitive until we try to hit the jackpot with our cap space in 2021.
          Timing is everything. If the Raps are where I think they are going to be .. which is in the mix for 3 through 5 then I think he stays the year. During the draft and FA Ujiir and Webster make their assessment on how the rebuild or retool is going to take shape either at the draft or in FA. I don't think they can get a first for him at the draft. They can dance around his cap hold as they see whose out there in FA.

You can never predict who gets hurt on which contender or if someone wants to pay for extra insurance to get them over the top for a deep run at the trade deadline. So its also possible to see Kyle being moved at the deadline even if the Raps are in it if they get a blow away offer ....My bar for a blow away offer would be

1. a 1st in the teens and expiring ballast
          2. an under 25 player on the offering teams roster who is a bona fide NBA rotation player, expiring ballast and a 2nd if the trading team wants the Raps to take back some salary.along with the ballast. . ..

Hey.. Chris Paul and that anchor of a deal got moved. You never know. Kyle is not the player Chris Paul was.. but he is better now than what Chris Paul was when he got moved to OKC.. He has a ring to show for it.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

Puffer wrote: Put me down for door #3.

Demographic Shift wrote: which is ?

"...just take the 33M in cap relief to sign a free agent that conceiveably will be better than those Dallas roster players"
            Last edited by Puffer; Sat Sep 14, 2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I'm still not sold on Siakam. Yes, he was great last year....as the 2ND option. This year he's going to be the no. 1. He's going to be the main focal point of the D.

Using the Pittsburgh Steelers as an example. Smith Schuster has been great for Pitts the last couple years as the no.2 receiver behind Antonio Brown. Brown is gone, Smith Schuster is the Steelers no.1 receiver this year. So far he's been a disaster.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Using the Pittsburgh Steelers as an example.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                  I'm still not sold on Siakam. Yes, he was great last year....as the 2ND option. This year he's going to be the no. 1. He's going to be the main focal point of the D.

Using the Pittsburgh Steelers as an example. Smith Schuster has been great for Pitts the last couple years as the no.2 receiver behind Antonio Brown. Brown is gone, Smith Schuster is the Steelers no.1 receiver this year. So far he's been a disaster.
                  The best justification for your hot take that you can come up with is from a completely different Sport that has zero in common with basketball? Really? C'mon man. Do better. Lol

Looking more locally at the actual sport we are discussing, what about Oladipo when he was #2 on OKC, and then moved to #1 with Indy and flourished? I'd say that's far more an apt example, wouldn't you?
                  Last edited by Joey; Mon Sep 16, 2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

It's not like Siakam is a spot-up shooter extraordinaire benefiting mostly from te double-teamed kickouts from Kawhi. And it's not like we have a one-dimensional offense funneling everything through a Pascal post-up or something.

Pascal will face more defensive attention, but his dynamic game - attacking after pulling it out, able to hit the 3, able to make the pass, attacking in transition, midrange, post-up, etc. - isn't that easy to key in on.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

The best justification for your hot take that you can come up with is from a completely different Sport that has zero in common with basketball? Really? C'mon man. Do better. Lol

Looking more locally at the actual sport we are discussing, what about Oladipo when he was #2 on OKC, and then moved to #1 with Indy and flourished? I'd say that's far more an apt example, wouldn't you?
                      Yeah, I mean a better example would have been be the 'other guy' in the group Wham! before George Michael went solo. Why even stick to sports?

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        It's not like Siakam is a spot-up shooter extraordinaire benefiting mostly from te double-teamed kickouts from Kawhi. And it's not like we have a one-dimensional offense funneling everything through a Pascal post-up or something.

Pascal will face more defensive attention, but his dynamic game - attacking after pulling it out, able to hit the 3, able to make the pass, attacking in transition, midrange, post-up, etc. - isn't that easy to key in on.
                        In defense of T-Rex, Pascal is missing a few key elements that an elite #1 scoring option has these days: the 3-ball, a pull-up jumper and general craftiness (pump-fakes, hesitation moves, step-backs, etc...). He needs those things to attack a set defense. He's still relying a lot on his quickness, athleticism & length, which we saw can be taken away by putting long, athletic defenders on him, sagging off and daring him to shoot. That was as a second option, so it will be worse as a first option.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

In defense of T-Rex, Pascal is missing a few key elements that an elite #1 scoring option has these days: the 3-ball, a pull-up jumper and general craftiness (pump-fakes, hesitation moves, step-backs, etc...). He needs those things to attack a set defense. He's still relying a lot on his quickness, athleticism & length, which we saw can be taken away by putting long, athletic defenders on him, sagging off and daring him to shoot. That was as a second option, so it will be worse as a first option.
                          Why would you say that Pascal is missing "the 3-ball" when he shot almost 37% last year (and is just getting started on that front)?

He's clearly been working on his pull-up this offseason, I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't ready for prime time.

Finally, does he need to be "an elite #1 scoring option" in order to be sold on him? He likely is our 1a option, but he's playing with 3 other allstar-calibre players and a team offense predicated more on depth than the force-feeding of a star player (part of the reason we did so well when Kawhi was out).
                          Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Sep 16, 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Honestly, Pascal looks like the most exhausting guy in the league to defend, even without a "bonafide jumper" (I think it's on the way this season though), the way he's just made of pure kinetic energy.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

yeah, i mean a better example would have been be the 'other guy' in the group wham! before george michael went solo. Why even stick to sports?
                              LOL Love it. #2 by default I guess is still a #2.

Comment

Why would you say that Pascal is missing "the 3-ball" when he shot almost 37% last year (and is just getting started on that front)?

He's clearly been working on his pull-up this offseason, I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't ready for prime time.

Finally, does he need to be "an elite #1 scoring option" in order to be sold on him? He likely is our 1a option, but he's playing with 3 other allstar-calibre players and a team offense predicated more on depth than the force-feeding of a star player (part of the reason we did so well when Kawhi was out).
                                As a first option, you're talking about step-back & pull-up contested 3's off the dribble. Like this...

And this....

Ahhh... the memories....

Pascal's 37% is deceiving. It's mostly on low-volume, wide-open & hilariously un-contested corner 3's, which he struggled with at various times throughout the regular season and playoffs.

Are we banking on Lowry and Gasol to turn the clock back? Yeah, we might be able to get through the regular season on a Wednesday night vs. Charlotte, but those guys all became afraid to shoot when the defense tightened up.... except maybe Ibaka, who has never seen a shot he didn't like.
                                Last edited by golden; Mon Sep 16, 2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X