No announcement yet.

Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Atlanta:
    Paul Millsap - 2015 Free Agency

Cleveland:
    Kyrie Irving - 2015 Free Agency or via trade prior, Cavs not willing to give max atm.

Memphis:
    Marc Gasol - 2015 Free Agency, especially if they have another mediocre season

Minnesota:
    Kevin Love - Via trade in 2014 or 2015 free agency (looks like Boston's getting him though)

Oklahoma City:
    Kevin Durant - 2016 Free Agency a.k.a "The Dream"

Portland:
    LaMarcus Aldridge - 2015 Free Agency, especially if Portland takes a step back next season.

Not really a very long or exciting list tbh

Only possible canidates I think are Millsap and KD

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be super excited about Millsap and Aldridge.

Aldridge likely makes DD completely disposable, which gives us the ability to acquire some other asset there (like a defender).
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I would like Millsap.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Aldridge & Millsap...haha that Toronto's "could have, should have" 2006 draft...instead we got Bargnani & PJ Tucker...better late than never I supposed...obviously KD should be the target...which has a chance if we continue to develop and show signs of being a true contender...and if he decides to leave OKC....and if the fact that we were his fav childhood team growing up still counts for anything...then maybe we have a shooters half court shot chance to land him.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            Atlanta:
            Paul Millsap - 2015 Free Agency

Cleveland:
            Kyrie Irving - 2015 Free Agency or via trade prior, Cavs not willing to give max atm.

Memphis:
            Marc Gasol - 2015 Free Agency, especially if they have another mediocre season

Minnesota:
            Kevin Love - Via trade in 2014 or 2015 free agency (looks like Boston's getting him though)

Oklahoma City:
            Kevin Durant - 2016 Free Agency a.k.a "The Dream"

Portland:
            LaMarcus Aldridge - 2015 Free Agency, especially if Portland takes a step back next season.

Not really a very long or exciting list tbh
            Al Horford - 2016 free agent

Nicolas Batum - 2016 free agent

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Al Horford - 2016 free agent

Nicolas Batum - 2016 free agent
              Forgot Horford. Batum isn't a star.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                Forgot Horford. Batum isn't a star.
                Batum's close enough, especially if you're able to sign both he and Horford in the same year.

*I see Batum as an Iguodala type star. He gets you points, rebounds, assists, all while playing solid D which he can do at multiple positions.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jun 3, 2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                  I would like Millsap.
                  As much as I like Millsap (he's awesome) I don't see him as a true star or potential top-15 player. And it'd be something like 30-35 million to 3 non-top 15 players in Lowry-DD-Millsap.
                  @Boymusic66

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                    As much as I like Millsap (he's awesome) I don't see him as a true star or potential top-15 player. And it'd be something like 30-35 million to 3 non-top 15 players in Lowry-DD-Millsap.
                    I'm fine with that, I think it's a valid team building strategy.

You've just got to construct the roster so that you get the most out of each of them and let them play to their strengths. Don't ask them to be everything men like true superstars.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Currently, the most pressing need is a 1st tier SUPERSTAR, and only Durant fits that status amongst these potential free agents. Some might say Love qualifies, but I see Love as more of the NBA's most talented complementary piece (not a shot against him, he's just not a guy you build around).

Durant, Durant and Durant.

We could always still go the Spur's route and take baby steps to sustain long-term success, so in saying that, if we can't get Luol Deng (nearly impossible) we should atleast tender Danny Granger an offer since he's a consumate professional.

Comment

Demarcus Cousins could also get traded too if the Sacramento Queens continue to suck ass

Rondo is another guy we could get but we already have Kyle Freakin' Lowry
                        #BringBackUzoh

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                          Demarcus Cousins could also get traded too if the Sacramento Queens continue to suck ass

Rondo is another guy we could get but we already have Kyle Freakin' Lowry
                          God...No Cousins. He could "get it" one day, but I don't want to be the team rolling the dice to figure that out.

My favorite option after the unlikely scenario of Durant is to go after a PF upgrade and aim for Batum in 2016. Possibly get both Horford and Batum in 2016. Save up the space to go after Durant, and if you fail, with the money you'd pay him you can probably get both those guys.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            God...No Cousins. He could "get it" one day, but I don't want to be the team rolling the dice to figure that out.

My favorite option after the unlikely scenario of Durant is to go after a PF upgrade and aim for Batum in 2016. Possibly get both Horford and Batum in 2016. Save up the space to go after Durant, and if you fail, with the money you'd pay him you can probably get both those guys.
                            I think Horford and Batum make us competitive, but not championship material. In today's NBA, to beat the Heat you need an offensive system with numerous stars and preferably atleast one SUPERSTAR. In addition to this you need a basic defensive system based on quick rotations which require young athletic players with high basketball IQ to do so.

In saying that I think both Batum and Horford both make us a better team, but not a champion. I think the Heat will stay together for a while longer, possibly 4 more years after this year, and as a Toronto fan I'd rather them win a championship by beating the best anyways. I would hate if Toronto became champions without having to go through the best.

If the Heat are the barometer to measure against, then we need that SUPERSTAR, at the very least.

Comment

Stevo wrote: View Post
                              I think Horford and Batum make us competitive, but not championship material. In today's NBA, to beat the Heat you need an offensive system with numerous stars and preferably atleast one SUPERSTAR. In addition to this you need a basic defensive system based on quick rotations which require young athletic players with high basketball IQ to do so.

In saying that I think both Batum and Horford both make us a better team, but not a champion. I think the Heat will stay together for a while longer, possibly 4 more years after this year, and as a Toronto fan I'd rather them win a championship by beating the best anyways. I would hate if Toronto became champions without having to go through the best.

If the Heat are the barometer to measure against, then we need that SUPERSTAR, at the very least.
                              Yes, but SUPERSTARs do not grow on trees. You could argue neither San Antonio nor Indiana really have one at this point. Spurs did with Duncan, but in terms of production he's not even remotely close to what he used to be. And Parker is like George, kind of a borderline superstar who fits more into that 2nd tier of stars.

Horford and Batum could make us a contender, assuming Jonas takes steps we hope he will. Could possibly keep DeMar or move Ross into the starting 5. If we keep both, that's a very very solid core to build with that includes lots of complementary skills. I could see it contending and having an outside shot at a championship.

Lots rides on the PG spot, as Lowry's long-term outlook is definitely cloudy given his "all-out" style of play. That's why I'm hoping a guy like Ennis or possibly Payton falls to us. Think we need a long-term option in the form of a young guy who will be blossoming with Jonas.

Comment

Working...
                              X