Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why DeRozan is an ideal 2nd option for a championship team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    DeRozan is worse than a typical 2nd option on a championship team.

Also, the 2nd option has to compliment the 1st option. Until the Raptors get the 1st option, it's hard to say if DeMar is an ideal fit or not.

As for mid range game, it's of course an important tool, since it opens up the game for a player. If defense has to respect your midrange game, you have an easier time using more efficient offensive tools. It's not something unique for 2nd options, every volume scorer needs midrange game except an occasional freak like Shaq.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    I doubt many people disagree with the notion that DD is currently suited to being a second option on a championship team. But for the next couple years, unless MU is really a magician we won't have cap space to get a first option.

Let's say we want to keep certain guys for the intangibles they bring to the team, like community work, passion and leadership, and so on.

That'd be AJ (8M a season) and potentially GV? (expected 3-4M a season)

We want to reward Lowry and DD for their contributions this year and keep them for atleast one more year before exploring possible trade options to upgrade talent on the roster.

That'd be DD (9M a season) and Lowry (likely 12M a season)

JV and Ross come off their rookie contracts in a couple years. Need cap space for that. Can't even say how much we'd pay to keep them.

So that's like 35-40M a year, with more expected when JV and Ross need to be resigned.

So is it likely to draft or develop a player on our roster in to a 1st tier scoring option? Unlikely.

Can we sign for one in 2015 or 2016?

I have strong doubts about 2015 just because everyone is gunning for that year, and competition for FA usually doesn't bode well for T.O. getting it's quarry.

As for 2016.........well, that's too be continued...........

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    2kfeen wrote: View Post
    live by the jumper, die by the jumper
    thunder showed this 2 years ago, and they had a host of mid-range shooters
    we need a bonafide player that can get buckets on good days, and bad days, not a streaky shooter like derozan

kevin love comes to mind.
    Kevin durant comes to mind.
    Lebron james comes to mind.

Who's on the market? Kevin love.
    Trade dd and picks + relief to get kevin love & one bad contract of theirs (budinger)
    second option not first

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Why is your nickname imanshumpert?
    Because his name is cool.

No I'm not a Knicks fan, I hate them with a passion.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Why is your nickname imanshumpert?

Leave a comment:

• 2kfeen
    replied
    live by the jumper, die by the jumper
    thunder showed this 2 years ago, and they had a host of mid-range shooters
    we need a bonafide player that can get buckets on good days, and bad days, not a streaky shooter like derozan

kevin love comes to mind.
    kevin durant comes to mind.
    lebron james comes to mind.

who's on the market? kevin love.
    trade dd and picks + relief to get kevin love & one bad contract of theirs (budinger)

Leave a comment:

• Why DeRozan is an ideal 2nd option for a championship team.

I present you with facts:

The second options on the majority of the past few championship teams have been guys that excel from the mid-range area as well as at getting to the free throw line. In fact the only championship team since 2000 that didn't have such a player as its second option was the 2006 Miami Heat (Wade was the 1st option). Here's the list:

- Wade and Bosh on the 2012 and 2013 Heat
    - Jason Terry with the 2011 Mavs (while known more for 3PT shooting, actually shot most of his shots from between 10ft and the 3)
    - Pau Gasol with the 2009 and 2010 Lakers
    - Kevin Garnett with the 2008 Celtics
    - Tony Parker with the 2003, 2005 and 2007 Spurs (very similar to DeRozan in that 36% of his shots came from 16-23, ie. long twos, compared to 39%)
    - Rip Hamilton with the 2004 Pistons
    - Kobe with the 2000, 2001 and 2002 Lakers

So that is 13 of the last 14 champions (93%).

If I wanted I could go back further I suppose

- Pippen and Horace Grant with the Bulls
    - Clyde Drexler with the 1995 Rockets
    - Joe Dumars with the Bad Boy Pistons
    - James Worthy with the Showtime Lakers

etc, etc, etc.

So basically every single championship team has had a guy who is very good from mid-range as a second option. Not saying it's absolutely necessary (though history would suggest it is), but what it does show is that it is possible and can actually be a healthy part of a championship formula. Even more interesting is that the bulk of those guys I listed (except Terry and I suppose Bosh of course) couldn't shoot the 3 worth a damn. Just gonna look at the 2000s era guys because I'm being lazy.

Kobe - 29.4% in 3 years during Lakers 3-Peat
    Rip - 26.5%
    Parker - 32.0% combined in 2003, 2005, 2007 title runs; only made about one 3 every other game.
    KG - 0%
    Gasol - 14.3% (1-7) during back-to-back titles
    Wade - 26.2% during back-to-back titles

Another thing that's consistent between these guys is high free-throw draw rates. (DeRozan for reference was at 0.448)

Kobe - 0.361
    Rip - 0.293
    Parker - 0.295
    Garnett - 0.339
    Gasol - 0.425
    Wade - 0.372

Where DeRozan needs to step up is in terms of efficiency, although I think that would increase as a by-product of being a second option. But just for reference here are their TS% (DeMar 53.2%)

Kobe - 54.7%
    Rip - 52.2%
    Parker - 54.7%
    Garnett - 58.8%
    Gasol - 60.5%
    Wade - 56.5%

Additionally, some of these guys (except Garnett and Kobe) were just known as solid or ok defenders at the time. None of them were stoppers, and frequently had their fellow wing/backcourt mate assigned to guard the other team's best wing scorer (Tayshaun for Rip, LeBron/Battier for Wade, etc).

But yeah we can't win a title with DeRozan.
Working...
X