X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

International teams field non nba guys because they are incapable of fielding a pure NBA squad. Canada is finally able to now, just like USA, and we should.
    How did that pure NBA USA squad do against Lithuania and Germany?

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

International teams always have that random, non-NBA, FIBA experienced scrub who goes off unexpectedly in a big knockout game.

A guy named Phil Scrubb was literally born for that moment.
    International teams field non nba guys because they are incapable of fielding a pure NBA squad. Canada is finally able to now, just like USA, and we should.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    WJF wrote: View Post

I know, how dare Phil Scrub only help win us Beonze at the World Cup and only finish one spot in front of the US with all their NBA guys.
    USA didn't field their best team. Almost no one from that team will even be on team USA at the Olympics. I'm glad we medaled but everyone knows Germany is not the best team in the world and USA didn't really give a shit about the world cup. USA is gonna bring their best and we should too. If we don't and and don't medal I won't feel good about it because Scrubb got to warm the bench.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

I truly do not give a shit about the "commitment" crap. They were rookies so couldn't commit then but can now. Context matters. Are we trying to medal or not? If we want to medal you field the best team possible. We don't need to do right by non nba scrubs and waste our chance at medaling. Team USA is going to have elite nba players at the end of their bench and we should be doing the same. I don't care how experienced the Scrubb brothers are they do not give us a better chance of winning than using real nba players.
    International teams always have that random, non-NBA, FIBA experienced scrub who goes off unexpectedly in a big knockout game.

A guy named Phil Scrubb was literally born for that moment.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied

I truly do not give a shit about the "commitment" crap. They were rookies so couldn't commit then but can now. Context matters. Are we trying to medal or not? If we want to medal you field the best team possible. We don't need to do right by non nba scrubs and waste our chance at medaling. Team USA is going to have elite nba players at the end of their bench and we should be doing the same. I don't care how experienced the Scrubb brothers are they do not give us a better chance of winning than using real nba players.
    I know, how dare Phil Scrub only help win us Beonze at the World Cup and only finish one spot in front of the US with all their NBA guys.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

Canada has a lot of guards & wings, but we also need to develop some bigs to battle those international behemoths who know how to leverage their size & bulk in FIBA rules.

NeedTristanThompson
    Play with what you got. We don't even have any decent non nba bigs. Just accept we're gonna play Olynyk and Powell heavy minutes and go with elite smaller guys for the rest of the lineup. Similar to how OKC is playing now. One quasi big and a bunch of small guys.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

well canada basketball asked for a 3 year commitment and those guys didn't commit, so that would kind of set a bad precedent.

i'm also not sure i'd want guys that young and inexperienced playing much in huge games... would either be happy as end of bench scrubbs?

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Mathurin and Sharpe should probably be on the Olympics team. No reason the roster shouldn't be all NBA players.
    Canada has a lot of guards & wings, but we also need to develop some bigs to battle those international behemoths who know how to leverage their size & bulk in FIBA rules.

NeedTristanThompson

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied

Mathurin and Sharpe should probably be on the Olympics team. No reason the roster shouldn't be all NBA players.
    well canada basketball asked for a 3 year commitment and those guys didn't commit, so that would kind of set a bad precedent.

i'm also not sure i'd want guys that young and inexperienced playing much in huge games... would either be happy as end of bench scrubbs?

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied

I like both those guys, but I done see a fit for 2024.

We are loaded at the guard/wing spot. SGA is the leader, RJ and Brooks are locks. With Dort and NAW being superior defenders and good FIBA shooters I do t see room

The 5 non NBA guys were mostly playing the 4/5 spots. Ejim, Alexander, and Edey. Maybe a guy like Thompson bumps one of them. Of the 2 guards Murray takes one spot for sure. Wiggins is also a potential guy to add

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    I wonder if Canada will start to put together a "selects" team to help the senior men's team prepare like the US does. With 26 or so guys int eh NBA this year, there is a young crop of players that should get a look in the future on the senior team but may bot be ready yet.

Here's a few names that could be included.

AJ Lawson
    Ben Mathurin
    Caleb Houstan
    Leonard Miller
    O Max Prosper
    Shaedon Sharpe
    Charles Bediako (injured)

Add in some willing younger vets like Banton, Brissett, some fring NBA guys like Wiggington and Nate Darling, and some Euro pros/winter core guys and there is a pretty good player pool.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    I wonder if Canada will start to put together a "selects" team to help the senior men's team prepare like the US does. With 26 or so guys int eh NBA this year, there is a young crop of players that should get a look in the future on the senior team but may bot be ready yet.

Here's a few names that could be included.

AJ Lawson
    Ben Mathurin
    Caleb Houstan
    Leonard Miller
    O Max Prosper
    Shaedon Sharpe
    Charles Bediako (injured)

Add in some willing younger vets like Banton, Brissett, some fring NBA guys like Wiggington and Nate Darling, and some Euro pros/winter core guys and there is a pretty good player pool.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    Xaivian Lee

The next Jeremy Lin is Canadian

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ncaa-mens-b...-down-harvard/
    He’s had a breakout year as a sophomore. He played a key role in the summer with the Canadian U19 team and was arguably their best player. He’s been able to build on that success and get himself into draft consideration. High upside and some great Canadian guards to help mentor him as he attempts to make the NBA.
    Last edited by WJF; Mon Jan 8, 2024, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Xaivian Lee

The next Jeremy Lin is Canadian

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ncaa-mens-b...-down-harvard/

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied

This would be a very good debate.

Wiggins had what many would consider empty stats on a bad Wolves team, became a winning player with the Warriors, and now is in a funk. Still only 28 I think, still has time to climb out of it and solidify himself as a winner once again.

RJ put up decent numbers with New York but was inefficient. He shows two steps forward in becoming a better shooter then takes two steps back again. Will the Raptors be what he needs to show that his desire to be great can match his productivity?
    The thing that brought this to my mind is Wiggins has been rumored to have been coming to Toronto and I was thinking who would I
    have been more excited to have woke up to the news that he was coming to Toronto ..

Barrett summer stint with the Canadian team is a good barometer of what to expect from him .. He will tease us with a 35 point game against Germany but then will go 1-10 against France ..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X