Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack North wrote: View Post
    If you can add TT and Murray to this squad, there's no question in my mind that they can advance through to Rio.

But who knows what players will be available when that date comes around. Murray would be essential, but he's going to be gearing up for a NBA squad most likely, and will he(they) want to chance him playing in a FIBA tourney + Olympics before suiting up for his new team(Raptors!)? Me thinks that'd be a hard sell.

Thompson would add solid young front court, but again, who knows what his status will be. I question his willingness to be part of team Canada as well. Not sure why, but I think he could be easily persuaded to not play.
    Yeah I don't see Murray and Thompson being there for June (both won't have a contract)But maybe Ennis will be there?!
    Lets hope everyone that participated in this tournament are committed and ready to go. They really dropped the ball on this one, they got defeated by an inferior team in the worst possible moment.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      Just saw the highlights, can you say CHOKE? zero excuse losing to Venezeuala, ZERO.

Also, that foul there in teh end was ridiculous. You can't make that call at the end of the game. Doornekamp barely touched the VEN player but whatever. It shouldn't have come down to that.

Btw, why was Doornekamp playing late in the game? for defence? LOL.

That's my main beef - substitutions. The game was getting physical and chippy. Why wouldn't you have a couple of athletic beasts who like to play physical, like Ejim and Bennett in there? Not just for the last play, should have been obvious where you need defense and rebounding, but for most of the last quarter. And Wiggins was a major disappointment.

Comment

• Comment

• so many things wrong with that game....Kelly seemed like he was the only player that understood the semi's were more important than the finals! Wiggins, Bennett, Joseph & co either ran out of gas, couldn't handle the pressure and choked or underestimated & looked past Venezuela....yes they did get screwed hard cause that last play should NEVER have been called on that play in that game situation regardless if Canada ever should have put themselves into that position. Coach Triano did some weird things like playing Dornerkamp in the last seconds of the game with Wiggins (good defender) on the bench coaching 101 is your best player finishes the game on both ends! also why not try Powell & Sacre when we were struggling and Nickolson was having a great game and was given under 10 mins and taken off when he was rolling!? Canada Basketball suffered a HUGE set back last night and I don't think they understand how big a loss that was to the game here....

Comment

• Wiggins wasn't on the bench, he was also on the court defending right alongside Doornekamp.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              We couldn't beat Latin American teams with their top players missing. How are we gonna beat Euro powerhouses like Croatia and Lithuania with NBA players and superior coaching. 2016 Olympics? Fuggedaboudit. This was our best shot. Jay will get a free pass for the next 5 years playing the "you need veterans to win" card.
              None of these guys have had experience playing against men in a meaningful game. These guys aren't even in their prime. People need to chill. Did they have a great opportunity... yes, but don't discredit international teams. Its not like we had superstars or even all-stars on our team. Kids are still developing.

Comment

• if this team cannot beat the odds and get 1 of those 3 spots to RIO in next years Olympics this is a fireable offence to me for Triano....Nash will likely never coach and stay in management and Smart & Rana are good CIS coaches..but its to huge a jump from CIS straight to FIBA internationals with NBA players....would love to see Scott Morrison, head coach of the Celtic's D-league Maine Red Claws & D-league "Coach of the Year" whose getting real traction at the NBA level take over the national program next if Triano fails.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...n-nba-circles/
                Last edited by RepTdot; Sat Sep 12, 2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                  if this team cannot beat the odds and get 1 of those 3 spots to RIO in next years Olympics this is a fireable offence to me for Triano....Nash will likely never coach and stay in management and Smart & Rana are good CIS coaches..but its to huge a jump from CIS straight to FIBA internationals with NBA players....would love to see Scott Morrison (PEI) take over the national program next if Triano fails.

http://<object id="flashObj" width="...mbed></object>
                  I wonder how those tournaments will shape up? Is it by region?

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                    I wonder how those tournaments will shape up? Is it by region?
                    18 teams from all the regionals come together for one last chance competing for 3 spots....silver lining is they haven't determined who will host the event yet so Canada could win hosting rights....home court advantage!?

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
                      18 teams from all the regionals come together for one last chance competing for 3 spots....silver lining is they haven't determined who will host the event yet so Canada could win hosting rights....home court advantage!?
                      I thought it was three different tournaments. Winners of each go into the olympics.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                        I thought it was three different tournaments. Winners of each go into the olympics.
                        Leo was speaking about it after the game...18 teams competing for 3 spots...3 mini tournaments held within 1 big one between 5–11 July 2016.

Comment

• I woke up this morning and still cannot believe that we actually just lost to Venezuela in a game we were favored by 22pts!
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• After viewing the video I would say that Doornekamp did commit the foul.

Comment

• How that seeding is done for that tournament will be a major factor... I haven't seen a description of how it's done, but if it's done on FIBA rankings, Canada might get a tough seeding due to their low ranking.

That said, to me the important thing is that most of these guys are playing competitive FIBA basketball every summer, and a qualifying tournament is still going to be a high level of basketball and excellent experience for them, regardless of whether they qualify. Of course, ultimately I want to see them qualify for the Olympics, but at this point any experience is obviously good for them, because that's a major failing for the team right now.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                I woke up this morning and still cannot believe that we actually just lost to Venezuela in a game we were favored by 22pts!
                                Perhaps Jay Triano was doing his best to emulate Dwane Casey?

Comment

Working...
                                X