Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Players are usually paid to prevent match fixing. Teams from Latin America and Africa have often threatened to not play in the World Cup without advance payments. If FIBA ever explodes, playing players may be come a necessity.

    Comment


    • stretch wrote: View Post
      I had not seen it officially. ESPN confirms Canada's interest in hosting a 2016 Olympic qualification tournament.

      Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/i...ith-nba-owners



      According to ESPN, FIBA is willing to share revenues for FIBA events with NBA owners. Nothing is mentioned about players being paid.
      I'm shocked at the insinuation that FIBA and the IOC could allow something like money to influence the integrity of the selection process.
      Last edited by golden; Sat Sep 19, 2015, 09:42 PM.

      Comment


      • rocwell wrote: View Post
        Do they?

        FIFA don't pay salary. They pay PRIZE money or DEVELOPMENT payments to the countries.

        Every football federation has some type of match fee ( low, usually 1k per match ) + competition winning bonus system. For example, England is paying 1.5k for match win, 1k for a draw, 500 for a defeat. Players usually donate their "fees". FA also promised 750k to every player if they win EURO 2016.

        Match fee + winning competition bonus is the system that is being used by every big nation in FIFA.

        Why do you think international FIBA players get paid for playing for their own country? It's interesting topic, I always thought they don't get paid at all. [ Just winning bonus ]
        FIBA is a FIFA wannabe, a small, mom and pop operation in comparison. FIBA has changed the world championship name to World Cup and are about to install a qualifying system just like FIFA's system.

        FIFA World Cup footballers are paid, bottom line. I was never under the impression that FIBA previously shared revenues with anyone. ESPN says in the article I quoted, that FIBA is willing to share with the NBA, moving forward, if the pie gets big enough.

        Comment


        • golden wrote: View Post
          I'm shocked at the insinuation that FIBA and the IOC could alloy something like money to influence the integrity of the selection process.
          I'm not surprised at all. Basketball is business for FIBA, IOC, and the NBA.

          Comment


          • so as a host are we guaranteed a spot at the Olympics?
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

            Comment


            • thead wrote: View Post
              so as a host are we guaranteed a spot at the Olympics?
              No. Three qualification tournaments of six teams, each. The three winners qualify for Rio.

              Comment


              • Canada Basketball

                thead wrote: View Post
                so as a host are we guaranteed a spot at the Olympics?
                The point was raised because it would allow a wealthy country who hasn't qualified for the qualifier tournament a spot at the tournament.

                So basically if RR becomes its own country, can pony up the cash (looking at you Doc), we could field a team with a shot to qualify for the Olympics over more deserving countries.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                Comment


                • stretch wrote: View Post
                  I'm not surprised at all. Basketball is business for FIBA, IOC, and the NBA.
                  Sorry. Forgot the pink font. lol. fixed.

                  But it's amazing with all the corruption scandals, how people have forgotten that groups like IOC & FIBA are actually NON-PROFIT organizations.

                  This is gold....

                  FIBA is a non-profit making organisation and, in principle, does not pursue any objective of economic character for its own gains.
                  THE IOC
                  From a legal standpoint, the IOC is an international non-governmental non-profit organisation, of unlimited duration, in the form of an association with the status of a legal person, recognised by the Swiss Federal Council (ruling of 17 September 1981)
                  http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/FIB...quicFacts.html

                  http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Ref...c_Movement.pdf
                  Last edited by golden; Sat Sep 19, 2015, 10:13 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Hey, guys. I just came by to congratulate you with bronze medals in FIBA Americas. I know, way too late, but I've been occupied with Eurobasket. I hate what Fiba is currently doing, they just created a system to milk a lot of money. There are a lot of countries that want to host a qualifying tournament and the highest bidder will get the cake (my guess is Russia will be one of them + another European country like Germany or Croatia). I think that Eurobasket and Fiba Americas should be getting 3-4 teams (especially Europe) in Olympics without additional qualifying tournaments. It's a shame that France, Serbia, Italy, Greece, Canada and possibly one or two of Croatia/ Russia/ Turkey/ Germany will have to fight for the last three spots. I think that there should be more teams in the Olympic basketball tournament, like 24 or 32.
                    MeDar ReDozan

                    Comment


                    • Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
                      Hey, guys. I just came by to congratulate you with bronze medals in FIBA Americas. I know, way too late, but I've been occupied with Eurobasket. I hate what Fiba is currently doing, they just created a system to milk a lot of money. There are a lot of countries that want to host a qualifying tournament and the highest bidder will get the cake (my guess is Russia will be one of them + another European country like Germany or Croatia). I think that Eurobasket and Fiba Americas should be getting 3-4 teams (especially Europe) in Olympics without additional qualifying tournaments. It's a shame that France, Serbia, Italy, Greece, Canada and possibly one or two of Croatia/ Russia/ Turkey/ Germany will have to fight for the last three spots. I think that there should be more teams in the Olympic basketball tournament, like 24 or 32.
                      FIBA Americas presently has 4 teams and so they are well represented ... With all the Euro powers you would think more then 2 would have gotton a slot ... Hey at least top 3 teams ... In last World's 8 of top 10 were from Euro and you would think that result would create more then 2 spots .
                      Last edited by guyroch; Mon Sep 21, 2015, 12:01 PM.

                      Comment


                      • I thought Americas got two spots while Eurobasket got 4 directly to the Olympics. With both tourneys sending 3 runner ups to the qualifying tournament next summer.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • Huh, I guess it is only 2 for Eurobasket. Yeah, that should probably be increased.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • Now I see - Eurobasket gets 5 runner ups in the last chance tourney. I guess that is pretty fair.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

                            Comment


                            • DanH wrote: View Post
                              Huh, I guess it is only 2 for Eurobasket. Yeah, that should probably be increased.
                              I know. Europe gets doubly shafted because USA (reigning champion) & Brazil (host) get automatic berths. That's 4 teams from FIBA Americas region already in. The qualification process and lead-up elimination tournaments for the Europe region is insanely difficult.

                              They really need to think about whether they should give automatic spots to Asia and Oceania in FIBA and FIFA - but I suppose there's a global marketing aspect to it.

                              Comment


                              • After the Rio Olympics FIBA will no longer be giving any automatic qualification bids for future Olympics and World Cups. The USA may have to use D Leaguers to qualify (Canada, too?) because the qualification windows take place during the NBA season for the most part.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X