Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • guyroch wrote: View Post
    If this new set up causes U.S not to qualify just one time then that will be the end of that ...
    Even if they qualify, it'd have to be with a team like they fielded at the Pan Ams. A bunch of guys no one even remembers from college ball. I'm assuming FIBA needs people to watch to get sponsors and make money. Restricting pro talent from playing hurts every country, and makes it some sort of crappy amateur tournament, not country vs country.

    Comment


    • Well Kobe keeps talking about playing for his country ... Well he can play till he is 50 with this new system

      Comment


      • guyroch wrote: View Post
        Well Kobe keeps talking about playing for his country ... Well he can play till he is 50 with this new system
        Disappointing all the bball powers have pros so the competition level will deminish

        Comment


        • rightsideup wrote: View Post
          Disappointing all the bball powers have pros so the competition level will deminish
          No one will watch. No one. Does FIBA not need viewers? They will become the equivalent of the basketball in the Pan Ams this summer. It wasn't even broadcast in the US, nearly impossible to find a foreign stream of the game.

          Comment


          • Nice to see Andrew Nicholson get some minutes last night 18 pts 8 boards ...

            Comment


            • guyroch wrote: View Post
              Nice to see Andrew Nicholson get some minutes last night 18 pts 8 boards ...
              Seeing how Joseph is playing with Raptors and Wiggins with Wolves etc., How did we not qualify ? When is Jay going to be held accountable ? Forget about how strong Europe is, this Canadian team ( with the young core Wiggins , Nik , Tristian Joseph ) having another year of experience under their belt should qualify .. If not then the head coach should be put under the microscope ..

              Comment


              • guyroch wrote: View Post
                Seeing how Joseph is playing with Raptors and Wiggins with Wolves etc., How did we not qualify ? When is Jay going to be held accountable ? Forget about how strong Europe is, this Canadian team ( with the young core Wiggins , Nik , Tristian Joseph ) having another year of experience under their belt should qualify .. If not then the head coach should be put under the microscope ..
                They should have had it, but the Venezuelans were hitting hail marys down the stretch, they got unlucky. The program needs stability.

                Comment


                • guyroch wrote: View Post
                  Seeing how Joseph is playing with Raptors and Wiggins with Wolves etc., How did we not qualify ? When is Jay going to be held accountable ? Forget about how strong Europe is, this Canadian team ( with the young core Wiggins , Nik , Tristian Joseph ) having another year of experience under their belt should qualify .. If not then the head coach should be put under the microscope ..
                  Don't worry, once Jamal Murray joins the squad and Wiggins turns into a legit star player, we'll breeze through it.

                  Comment


                  • A.I wrote: View Post
                    Don't worry, once Jamal Murray joins the squad and Wiggins turns into a legit star player, we'll breeze through it.
                    True. Neither Joseph and especially not Wiggins are alpha-dogs. That's what was lacking last summer, and Murray fixes that, and then some. Although I won't disagree that Jay Triano should get his share of the blame for not having his superior talent ready, as well as tactical in-game adjustments.

                    The problem next summer will be the timing of the qualifying tournament. If Murray gets drafted and hasn't signed his rookie deal yet, then he obviously can't play. Even then, his drafting team might want him to go to Summer League or other team related stuff. Realistically, I think we're looking at Joseph and Tyler Ennis in the back-court next summer, which is still big-time talent for FIBA, more than most squads have. Joseph is really developing his dribble-drive game with the Raps, so he's going to be vastly improved from the last tournament, plus we'll have TT.

                    Just looking at the likely NBAers: Olynyk, Sacre, Thompson, Nicholson, Bennett, Wiggins, Stauskas, CoJo, Ennis. Those aren't rookies, and relative to most FIBA teams, even Euro powerhouses, that is superior basketball talent and depth. Triano is on the hot seat.

                    Really no excuse for not qualifying next year.

                    Comment


                    • golden wrote: View Post
                      True. Neither Joseph and especially not Wiggins are alpha-dogs. That's what was lacking last summer, and Murray fixes that, and then some. Although I won't disagree that Jay Triano should get his share of the blame for not having his superior talent ready, as well as tactical in-game adjustments.

                      The problem next summer will be the timing of the qualifying tournament. If Murray gets drafted and hasn't signed his rookie deal yet, then he obviously can't play. Even then, his drafting team might want him to go to Summer League or other team related stuff. Realistically, I think we're looking at Joseph and Tyler Ennis in the back-court next summer, which is still big-time talent for FIBA, more than most squads have. Joseph is really developing his dribble-drive game with the Raps, so he's going to be vastly improved from the last tournament, plus we'll have TT.

                      Just looking at the likely NBAers: Olynyk, Sacre, Thompson, Nicholson, Bennett, Wiggins, Stauskas, CoJo, Ennis. Those aren't rookies, and relative to most FIBA teams, even Euro powerhouses, that is superior basketball talent and depth. Triano is on the hot seat.

                      Really no excuse for not qualifying next year.
                      The passion he showed in wanting to play in September for FIBA America's .. I don't think that guy will let the team who drafts him say he has to play in summer league instead of trying to qualify ... We are talking about the Olympics ...

                      I do think Joseph is a alpha-dog type of player ... Do you see how that guy struts on the floor .. He sure doesn't lack confidence ..
                      Last edited by guyroch; Wed Nov 25th, 2015, 11:08 AM.

                      Comment


                      • I only just found out that Brady Heslip is Jay Triano's nephew....weird.

                        Comment


                        • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I only just found out that Brady Heslip is Jay Triano's nephew....weird.
                          Oh yea ... I remember going to see a Ryerson Rams vs Baylor game ( in Toronto ) and that is the first time I came across the name Hesip ( he went nuts on that game ) and that is when I googled him and found out what you just found out .. I thought when I saw him play for Canada it was because of that relationship but he has won his spot by his play and not who he is related too ..

                          Comment


                          • guyroch wrote: View Post
                            Oh yea ... I remember going to see a Ryerson Rams vs Baylor game ( in Toronto ) and that is the first time I came across the name Hesip ( he went nuts on that game ) and that is when I googled him and found out what you just found out .. I thought when I saw him play for Canada it was because of that relationship but he has won his spot by his play and not who he is related too ..
                            Brady H managed to get things done and filled his role despite a family tree relation. Andy Rautins before was pure nepotism by Leo and it alienated the team very badly.

                            Comment


                            • tonious35 wrote: View Post
                              Brady H managed to get things done and filled his role despite a family tree relation. Andy Rautins before was pure nepotism by Leo and it alienated the team very badly.
                              Well, I don't know if it was pure nepotism. We had shit players for other options.

                              I don't think Heslip has had any favoritism his way. Just a surprising connection. Also he's very one-dimensional so if our depth improves at all, he's not likely to be a regular fixture on national teams.

                              Comment


                              • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Well, I don't know if it was pure nepotism. We had shit players for other options.

                                I don't think Heslip has had any favoritism his way. Just a surprising connection. Also he's very one-dimensional so if our depth improves at all, he's not likely to be a regular fixture on national teams.
                                That one dimension he has is quite extraordinary ... His game is so suited for FIBA ball and I think he will always have a place on this national team ... The fact he always comes a calling when Canada needs him should be something that isn't ignored ..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X