Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    I think FIBA uses a dart board or rock, paper, scissors for rankings.
    LOL ... or ask the maker of angry birds what Rankings should be

Comment

• Nik Stauskas says opponents will go extra hard at him because of his rookie status, and skin color:

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
        Nik Stauskas says opponents will go extra hard at him because of his rookie status, and skin color:
        Nik should know better than to say something like that. I guess he's not used to trash talk, yet.

Comment

Nik Stauskas says opponents will go extra hard at him because of his rookie status, and skin color:
          Source?
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Source?
            http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/nik-st...-and-im-white/

Comment

• Nik Stauskas for ROY!

Comment

Nik should know better than to say something like that. I guess he's not used to trash talk, yet.
                He's not wrong. Everyone is going to think he's the next white college scorer who isn't athletic enough to defend at this level. His D wasn't great yesterday but you could tell he was fighting hard at it. If he can keep that offensive fire he showed he'll easily be a net positive.

Comment

Andrew Wiggins !! Debut tonight with the Wolves ..
                  Andrew Wiggins 4 for 11 with 18 pts wow 3 Blocks and went to line a bunch of times ...

Nik 5 for 6 good efficent night .. Anthony Bennett didn't play cause of minor injury ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jfJSPsVvyM
                  Last edited by guyroch; Wed Oct 8, 2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Agree with you ... I think it was overall a dumb statement ... Teams game plan will be win the games not how we are going to go after the 8th overall pic ..

You don't hear quotes coming out of Andrew Wiggins that are making headlines .. Doug McDermott crickets
                    Last edited by guyroch; Wed Oct 8, 2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ction-comments

when you hear the explanation it seems less controversial

Comment

• It wasn't controversial to begin with. Like I said elsewhere, there's a whole movie called White Men Can't Jump (and one of our own posters) dedicated to this stereotype. It's a simple statement of fact, not an excuse or a plea for sympathy.

I like that the guy recognizes his D needs work and may be something he gets challenged on nightly. Rather have that and work at it than have him be oblivious and never improve.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          It wasn't controversial to begin with. Like I said elsewhere, there's a whole movie called White Men Can't Jump (and one of our own posters) dedicated to this stereotype. It's a simple statement of fact, not an excuse or a plea for sympathy.

I like that the guy recognizes his D needs work and may be something he gets challenged on nightly. Rather have that and work at it than have him be oblivious and never improve.
                          Call it the Christian Laettner, Darko Milicic, Adam Morrison, Andrea Bargnani, or Jimmer Fredette syndrome... there's an inherent skepticism about white perimeter shooters and their perceived limitations. For NBA reporters to play innocent and pretend it's not a commonly held perception, is laughable.

Comment

• I didn't think it was a dumb statement. He wasn't looking for pity or trying to be offensive. How many white wing players are considered good defenders? Heinrich?
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Fine to say he's being targeted as a rookie, as all rookies are, but inserting the "white" into the opinion is ill thought out racism, no question. I'm sure there was no intent to be insensitive, but if a black guy said he was a target because he is white, would the racist calls not be loud? He declared a distinction of treatment based on skin colour. Any different than Ferry saying Deng has African in him, therefore........ ? It was stupid and he should own up to the slip, then move on.

Comment

• This is nonsense. It was a benign statement (in the sense that it was not taking any stance in a racial debate).

Saying there is a difference in how person of X colour is treated does not equal racism. In fact if anything, it's acknowledging a racist/prejudice attitude already exists and he's aware it's part of the reality he'll have to face.

Saying there should be a difference in how person of X colour is treated does equal racism.

What he said is roughly like an African-American guy saying he's more likely to get pulled over because he's black. Just speaking the (unfortunate) truth, and it's being spun into something it's not by the media, which is extra bad in the States because a history of arguably the worst race-relations in the world plagues every facet of their society.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 9, 2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X