Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's nonsense is saying that a statement declaring that every team in the NBA looks at, and deals with, white players differently, is not newsworthy. There's two sides to the racist coin. I never said he is a racist. I said it's a racist comment to say the league looks at him differently because he's white. An African-American being pulled over because he's black is racism, not just merely the unfortunate truth when he speaks of it.

    Just saying he should have kept the "white" out of it, as it speaks to coaching staffs throughout the entire league targeting him because of skin colour, essentially saying the league has views, and different treatment, based on race. That's not newsworthy?

    Comment


    • chico wrote: View Post
      What's nonsense is saying that a statement declaring that every team in the NBA looks at, and deals with, white players differently, is not newsworthy. There's two sides to the racist coin. I never said he is a racist. I said it's a racist comment to say the league looks at him differently because he's white. An African-American being pulled over because he's black is racism, not just merely the unfortunate truth when he speaks of it.

      Just saying he should have kept the "white" out of it, as it speaks to coaching staffs throughout the entire league targeting him because of skin colour, essentially saying the league has views, and different treatment, based on race. That's not newsworthy?
      You're not getting my point. He's speaking the truth that there is a racial bias (racism) toward him because he's white. This is true. There's nothing wrong with saying it, there is something wrong with the fact itself. That's the same case in the situation regarding a black driver being pulled over. If Amir Johnson got pulled over tomorrow for no real reason, and said "I don't know man, probably just because I'm black", there would be absolutely nothing wrong with Amir saying it...there would be something wrong with the fact that he's speaking a truth that shouldn't be a truth in our world today.

      He does get different treatment based on race. He also didn't say "the league looks at me like this", but said guys will go at him because he's a rookie and white. In other words, his life experience as a white basketball player has taught him that players (not coaches, league officials, execs, etc....so you're really reaching bringing in the whole league to this statement) will go at him differently on the floor because of stereotypes that persist even though they probably shouldn't.

      What's newsworthy isn't that he said it, but that he (or any other white person) has legit cause to bring it up because it is part of their reality. Of course, sports journalists blow, because what this quote could really use would be a well respected NBA writer putting out a very well thought out editorial piece on continued racial and other prejudices that persist in the sport/league today (again, largely because of attitudes of players), especially when it's a sport/league that supposedly prides itself on social progress and inclusion.

      Comment


      • Yeah, if anyone took it to mean anything other than the players targeting him, that's where the misinterpretation is. People perceived as weak defenders are always a target, whether that perception is because they are short, fat, slow, rooks, or white. Before he earned his rep as a good defender Chuck Hayes probably had a ton of guys go at him specifically.

        CalgaryRapsFan, though, I wouldn't include Darko, he had a pretty good rep as an interior defender IIRC. It's more the soft white shooter stereotype, so Morrison, Bargnani, Kapono, Novak, Jimmer etc etc. Redick was thought to be one of these but I think he's improved his defense to close to average. Bargnani is a decent man defender too, it's just that he has the help/rotation BBIQ of an acorn.

        The Plumlees are disproving the stereotype with their athleticism. Olynyk is probably going to face it a bit more going forward.
        It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

        Comment


        • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          You're not getting my point. He's speaking the truth that there is a racial bias (racism) toward him because he's white. This is true. There's nothing wrong with saying it, there is something wrong with the fact itself. That's the same case in the situation regarding a black driver being pulled over. If Amir Johnson got pulled over tomorrow for no real reason, and said "I don't know man, probably just because I'm black", there would be absolutely nothing wrong with Amir saying it...there would be something wrong with the fact that he's speaking a truth that shouldn't be a truth in our world today.

          He does get different treatment based on race. He also didn't say "the league looks at me like this", but said guys will go at him because he's a rookie and white. In other words, his life experience as a white basketball player has taught him that players (not coaches, league officials, execs, etc....so you're really reaching bringing in the whole league to this statement) will go at him differently on the floor because of stereotypes that persist even though they probably shouldn't.

          What's newsworthy isn't that he said it, but that he (or any other white person) has legit cause to bring it up because it is part of their reality. Of course, sports journalists blow, because what this quote could really use would be a well respected NBA writer putting out a very well thought out editorial piece on continued racial and other prejudices that persist in the sport/league today (again, largely because of attitudes of players), especially when it's a sport/league that supposedly prides itself on social progress and inclusion.
          Oh I get your point very clearly. I just don't agree with it.

          What is this "truth" you speak of. Whose truth?

          Stauskus's? The rookie that has spent a week in an NBA training camp and played 2 preseason games against 1 team and been "white boy" "targeted" by DeMar the all-star and team's primary scorer going in? After those two games, the "truth" is what he said? Based on his life's experience? Really? So if my life experience at age 21 told me I should fear gay people, did that make it truth, or was it my misguided impression?

          Or is it the "truth" of the same media industry you're saying is blowing this out of proportion? Not that it matters, but who says white guys are attacked more because they're white? Any substance from a credible journalist?

          Or has this come from players, or coaches, or anybody else associated with the NBA? Just wondering where this "widely accepted truth" comes from, because I've been following the NBA since well before Bird/Magic days, and I don't recall anyone claiming this before, much less being something widely recognized. Rookies and poor defenders are attacked, no matter what colour they are, but what evidence is there that there's truth to white guys being targeted because of their skin colour?

          Or is it nothing but urban myth being propagated here? With a little help from a 21 year old kid who wasn't wise enough, despite all of his life experience, to avoid making a statement about white racism in the NBA, while in the NBA spotlight for the first time. Just wondering, because it seems absurd, no matter how many poor defender white guy names can be trotted out. They were targeted because they were rookies or poor defenders, just like black rookies and poor defenders.

          Sheesh, whose next? JV ever going to speak the truth? NBA players have gone at him harder because he's white? I hope he never becomes such a lame ass, or to give Nik some benefit of the doubt, a naive kid who'd have been wise to keep race out of what otherwise would have been a valid point: he's a rookie.

          Comment


          • Yeah, you're still not getting what I said, but whatever.

            Comment


            • I responded to the basis, this "truth", that makes anything you said either relevant or blowing smoke. Perhaps if you can back up this "truth" you speak of, with anything, it would help, but whatever.

              Comment


              • Uh, if you've been following ball since the Bird/Magic days, how did you never come across this quote:

                "As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
                -Larry Bird
                It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                Comment


                • chico wrote: View Post
                  Oh I get your point very clearly. I just don't agree with it.

                  What is this "truth" you speak of. Whose truth?

                  Stauskus's? The rookie that has spent a week in an NBA training camp and played 2 preseason games against 1 team and been "white boy" "targeted" by DeMar the all-star and team's primary scorer going in? After those two games, the "truth" is what he said? Based on his life's experience? Really? So if my life experience at age 21 told me I should fear gay people, did that make it truth, or was it my misguided impression?
                  Also, if you think Stauskas' experience and impressions are the result of two preseason games, and not an entire lifetime of pickup ball, rec leagues, high school ball, and college, I don't know what to tell you.
                  It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                  Comment


                  • Finally, here's a piece from 1997:

                    If black players sometimes believe their careers are confined to the court, white players sometimes feel their on-court success is hampered by tough-to-beat stereotypes.

                    "Oh, yeah," says Rex Walters, a 6-3 guard with Philadelphia. "The perception is different of a white guy. The first thing you think of with Rex Walters is I'm a shooter."

                    The Bullets' Tim Legler, who won the league's three-point contest at the All-Star Game, can definitely shoot the ball. But the rap on Legler indeed on most white guards "automatically from Day 1," he says is that he's not quick enough, a defensive liability. "You can stop your man nine times in a row and if on the 10th time your man gets around you and dunks on you, you're too slow," he explains. "It's a form of labeling that goes around in the league."
                    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...4&slug=2542828
                    It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                    Comment


                    • Shaquille O'Neal Chills with 7'5" Sim Bhullar

                      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nd-76-yao-ming

                      Comment


                      • guyroch wrote: View Post
                        Shaquille O'Neal Chills with 7'5" Sim Bhullar

                        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nd-76-yao-ming
                        Funny that Sim has to lean down to take the picture with Shaq

                        Comment


                        • FWIW, Dwight Powell was getting some respect from the Celtics announcers in the Celts/Knicks game the other night. "FWIW" because the Celts' announcers are usually ridiculous homers but it was nice to see they added what is becoming a familiar refrain about having to watch out for the growing Canadian team

                          Comment


                          • Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            FWIW, Dwight Powell was getting some respect from the Celtics announcers in the Celts/Knicks game the other night. "FWIW" because the Celts' announcers are usually ridiculous homers but it was nice to see they added what is becoming a familiar refrain about having to watch out for the growing Canadian team
                            A couple seasons ago they called Greg Stiemsma " Bill Russell "

                            Loooooool Tommy Heinsohn is the biggest Homer over ever heard
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                            Comment


                            • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              Uh, if you've been following ball since the Bird/Magic days, how did you never come across this quote:

                              "As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
                              -Larry Bird
                              Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              Also, if you think Stauskas' experience and impressions are the result of two preseason games, and not an entire lifetime of pickup ball, rec leagues, high school ball, and college, I don't know what to tell you.
                              Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              uh, try again. Where does it say in any of these "examples" that white guys are targeted by offenses, or even rogue (any NBA coach worth his salt would kick some player's ass for going against the game plan and targeting a guy because he's white, but to borrow a phrase from a wise fan, whatever) player. That's what Nikky boy said, so try and avoid straw man arguments. None of these quotes says anything of the kind. The alleged "truth" is that guys are targeted on defense because they're white.

                              And whatever the Nik kid has to whine about his high school experiences has nothing to do with playing professionally in the NBA, where the mentality is slightly different. He's talking about how he'll be targeted because he's white, after 2 preseason games, his NBA experience. Sheeesh, his "life experience". At 21, the extent of my life experience told me very little of real life in the future, and I'd experienced what most would say a lot. He's a kid that knows little else than being a star in kids basketball.
                              Last edited by chico; Fri Oct 10th, 2014, 09:39 PM.

                              Comment


                              • The exact quote is:
                                “I understand that I’m a rookie and I’m white, so people are going to attack me at all times,” he said. “Just coming out there in the game, I felt it right away.”

                                People. Not teams. Not NBA offenses. Guys. Individuals.

                                I think you're reaching way beyond a very simple statement to twist it into something it's not.
                                -----

                                Anyways, back on topic: Wiggins and Bennett are looking great with Minnesota so far. Really rooting for both those guys. Bennett's goggles were hilarious tonight.
                                Last edited by Scraptor; Sat Oct 11th, 2014, 05:50 AM.
                                It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X