Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mess wrote: View Post
    The article where it said that Triano, who has been coaching in the NBA for 15 seasons, called Steve Nash for advice on how to coach his young players?

    I get that it's a youth movement to an absurd degree in Phoenix, and coaches do that stuff all the time, but I still think that's something he should have figured out by now.
    I actually admire coaches (or anyone for that matter) reaching out for advice from other brilliant minds. Infinitely better than being hard headed thinking you have all the answers
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • Yeah of course. And I guess you could paint it as more of a name drop by Zach to make the column more interesting.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

      Comment


      • guyroch wrote: View Post
        The FIBA Basketball World Cup Qualifiers are coming soon .. Do you think Barret will play ?

        FIRST PHASE SCHEDULE

        Friday, November 24, 2017 vs Bahamas - Halifax, Nova Scotia

        Monday, November 27, 2017 @ Dominican Republic



        Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ US Virgin Islands

        Sunday, February 25, 2018 @ Bahamas



        Friday, June 29, 2018 vs Dominican Republic - TBD

        Monday, July 2, 2018 vs US Virgin Islands - TBD
        I don't think there is any chance that he RJ plays in these games.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

        Comment


        • RJ Barrett to Duke.

          http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/c...its-duke-2018/
          BRAMPTON, Ont. — He’s been one of the most sought-after basketball talents his age for years, fielding interest from countless schools.

          In the end, R.J. Barrett went with what felt most like home.

          The 17-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., will play NCAA basketball next season at Duke, announcing his much-anticipated decision Friday night at a posh affair at a golf club just outside Toronto.

          "I feel like I could have gone anywhere and done well at basketball, so it was really stuff off the court," said Barrett, who’d narrowed down his choices to three: Duke, Kentucky, and the University of Oregon.

          Barrett is regarded as the world’s best player his age, and last summer earned MVP honours in leading Canada to an historic gold medal at the FIBA Under-19 World Cup, despite being one of the tournament’s youngest players.

          He didn’t ultimately settle on a school, he said, until the beginning of this week. He’d talked at length with dad Rowan, who played basketball for Canada at the 2000 Olympics, and mom Kesha, a track athlete in college.

          He reached out to his godfather Steve Nash, who told him "Go where I want, where my heart desires," Barrett said. "He’s one of the most humble human beings I’ve ever met. He’s a two-time MVP. He doesn’t have to take his time to talk to me or give me advice, but he does and I really appreciate it."

          From a basketball standpoint, Barrett could have fit in seamlessly and shone at any one of the three powerhouse schools.

          "But it came down to the smaller things," Rowan Barrett said. "For R.J., he felt (Duke) most similarly represented the school he’s currently in, so he felt a comfort level. There’s children from 70 different countries at his school currently now, and it’s much the same at Duke. So right away he felt a kinship there."
          It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

          Comment


          • Very smart decision by RB Jr!

            Coach K has been around and coached NBA players not to mention his had great success in the last decade winning 3 Final Fours (UK by comparison only has 1) and the roster could be fairly stacked which makes the game easier.

            If he can be the leader of a National championship squad after just leading the U-17 Canadian National team to it's FIRST GOLD over the US. That should create a great storyline and buzz around Barrett going into the draft when it's a clear battle between him and Zion. Either guy can show off at whatever school but this will potentially allow a larger stage and perhaps a "quality" that separates him as a prospect *ahem* which btw if you watched his Slam special, winning at every level is of GREAT importance to him which will obviously be a very attractive quality to any franchise.

            Comment


            • JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
              Very smart decision by RB Jr!

              Coach K has been around and coached NBA players not to mention his had great success in the last decade winning 3 Final Fours (UK by comparison only has 1) and the roster could be fairly stacked which makes the game easier.

              If he can be the leader of a National championship squad after just leading the U-17 Canadian National team to it's FIRST GOLD over the US. That should create a great storyline and buzz around Barrett going into the draft when it's a clear battle between him and Zion. Either guy can show off at whatever school but this will potentially allow a larger stage and perhaps a "quality" that separates him as a prospect *ahem* which btw if you watched his Slam special, winning at every level is of GREAT importance to him which will obviously be a very attractive quality to any franchise.
              Naismith, how deep is 2019? I wonder, if we wash out in the playoffs this year, is summer 2018 the best time to launch a tank?

              If we wait till summer 2019 to tear things down, our best players will hold much lower value as expirings (not to mention the risk of age-related decline). Waiting till 2020 without recouping value would be like being this year's Hawks.
              It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

              Comment


              • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Naismith, how deep is 2019? I wonder, if we wash out in the playoffs this year, is summer 2018 the best time to launch a tank?

                If we wait till summer 2019 to tear things down, our best players will hold much lower value as expirings (not to mention the risk of age-related decline). Waiting till 2020 without recouping value would be like being this year's Hawks.
                I don't love the 2019 draft tbh.

                THIS is the draft we should have tanked on. Even last year's mega draft which I think much better depth, the top end of this draft just dwarfs it with Porter Jr, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba and I like Knox.

                The 2019 imo doesn't project to have great depth AND the top 2 imo are overhyped. RJ imo looks like he can be a star even a superstar at the absolute height of his potential something like the impact (not game) of Harden or Westbrook which is wonderful but just for clarity, he's getting hype like KD or Bron and he is most certainly not that, neither is Zion. Zion is even more overrated in this moment because right now he's just an absolute freak athlete with not much other elite skills, an ok 3 pt shot but also keeping in mind he gets given that shot to prevent his thunderous dunks and still doesn't shoot it at some lights out clip. His ballhandling is ok as a straight line driver but nothing fantastic overall.

                Naz Reid is interesting because he's a long, skilled player but nothing fantastic as an athlete so another guy who could be an all-star but I don't see any real superstar talent as yet OTHER THAN Kostas Antentokounmpo!

                I have no idea why he's ineligible to enter the draft this year because he is age wise but perhaps it has to do with citizenship, really not sure. But anyways, many scouts are saying he is more athletic, longer and coordinated than Giannis was at the same age....that's a SCARY thought and if he is in the 2019 he is most certainly imo worth tanking for. If he pans out, I like him even more than Doncic or Porter Jr. He's like the most ridiculous well kept secret for now but I don't suspect it will last that long and boy would that ever be some sweet poetic justice that Masai missed out on Giannis due to no fault of his own and all the help he gave to get him here and as reward potentially get the 2.0 lol sigh a man can dream.

                But yeah so far the rest looks fairly underwhelming, some people like Bol Bol (Manute's son) because he's skilled and super long but another guy I'm not quite sold on either. If measurements are the intrigue (besides Kostas), Bamba is far more intriguing imo than Bol. I don't know enough about the 2020 prospects yet, tough to tell when they haven't cracked 16 years old lol this year will be more telling.

                Comment


                • PRELIMINARY LIST REVEALED FOR OPENING WINDOW OF FIBA BASKETBALL WORLD CUP 2019 AMERICAS QUALIFIERS

                  http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2



                  Heslip is on the roster ... This guy always comes when Canada calls ... He is joined by Anthony Bennett and Kendall and also some other familiar names ... Funny Rautins staying loyal to his father and is again not on a team Canada list ..

                  Comment


                  • Surprised not to see Bachynski... other commitments? injuries? Guards and forwards are solid here, but I'm a little worried about the center position.

                    Comment


                    • Great read on Dillon Brooks
                      https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/i...e-for-himself/
                      It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                      Comment


                      • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Looks like he has made a great impression.

                        Comment


                        • Dillon Brooks was drafted into a situation that allowed him to get regualr playing time and to be able to show what he can do. He has seized the day and has done very well. Draft experts said he was a little older, had short arms etc. Sometimes it is not so much how good the player is, it is if they are given an opportunity.

                          Now if guys like Trey Lyles, Nick Stauskas, and Tyler Ennis could get some run it would be great.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                          Comment


                          • WJF wrote: View Post
                            Dillon Brooks was drafted into a situation that allowed him to get regualr playing time and to be able to show what he can do. He has seized the day and has done very well. Draft experts said he was a little older, had short arms etc. Sometimes it is not so much how good the player is, it is if they are given an opportunity.

                            Now if guys like Trey Lyles, Nick Stauskas, and Tyler Ennis could get some run it would be great.
                            Nick Stauskas has been given an opportunity in the past to succeed .. He has had 63 starts in his young career so far .

                            Comment


                            • 2017 SMNT NOVEMBER WORLD CUP AMERICAS QUALIFIER ROSTER

                              http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...9-americas-qua

                              This format is f@$$ stupid .. What are we trying to determine who has the best C team in FIBA Americas ?

                              Comment


                              • Going to the game in Halifax next Friday. Excited to see Brady heslip fill it up.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X