Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • guyroch wrote: View Post
    No NBA players for Chilie game on Sept 17th ..
    http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...-cup-2019-amer

    Roster set for Monday

    Comment


    • KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Lay it on me, international fans: what are the chances we're in the 2020 Olympics?
      This whole qualifying process is kinda stupid.

      First we gotta qualify for the 32 team world cup in China next year, which as of right now looks like a sure thing.

      Then, we have to finish as the top-2 America's team in that stupid world cup next year. Jerome originally thought it was going to be top-7 teams out of 32, but is actually 7 teams divided based on region: top 2 america's teams, top 2 europe's teams, one africa team, one asia team, one oceania team. Meaning we have to somehow finish above Brazil, Argentina, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela (assuming US finishes first). Jerome has no idea how the ranking is determined during the world cup.

      If we failed to qualify through the world cup, then it's the same qualifying tournament as the 2016 Olympics, you get into one of 4 pools of 6 teams each, and only the top team from each pool qualifies.

      So the best way to qualify is definitely through the world cup, Jerome would give it >50% chance if we get the same type of talent to participate as the 2015 qualify tournament. Barret is probably not available next year since it's his rookie season.

      Jerome is just glad we are not in Europe.

      Comment


      • edit, revised based on what Jerome says. I didn't realize it was top 2 Americas either.

        I can't decide if that's better or worse. I think it's probably the same as before: make the quarter-finals and you're probably through, as I don't think more than 1 non-US Americas teams makes the quarters... Europe should be sending about 6 teams through.
        Last edited by octothorp; Sun Sep 16th, 2018, 11:03 PM.

        Comment


        • octothorp wrote: View Post
          edit, revised based on what Jerome says. I didn't realize it was top 2 Americas either.

          I can't decide if that's better or worse. I think it's probably the same as before: make the quarter-finals and you're probably through, as I don't think more than 1 non-US Americas teams makes the quarters... Europe should be sending about 6 teams through.
          If we can't make top 2 in FIBA Americas next year then we don't deserve to go to the Olympics.

          Comment


          • golden wrote: View Post
            If we can't make top 2 in FIBA Americas next year then we don't deserve to go to the Olympics.
            That statement is not correct.

            Its all depending who shows up from our NBA players.

            If just Joseph, RJ Barrett, Brooks, Olynyk and Thompson shows up Canada shouldn't have a problem to qualify. But if scheduling won't allow it & players decide not to show up than the competition could be very stiff.

            Of course non NBA talent like Ejim, Pangos , Heslip and Best are important as well.

            Comment


            • Hotshot wrote: View Post
              That statement is not correct.

              Its all depending who shows up from our NBA players.

              If just Joseph, RJ Barrett, Brooks, Olynyk and Thompson shows up Canada shouldn't have a problem to qualify. But if scheduling won't allow it & players decide not to show up than the competition could be very stiff.

              Of course non NBA talent like Ejim, Pangos , Heslip and Best are important as well.
              The World Cup is from August 31 to Sept 15th, 2019 - the NBA players should be available. I'd agree that there is one 'if' ..... if their respective NBA teams won't allow them to play. That's going to be case-by-case, I think.

              Otherwise, if Basketball Canada can't convince the NBA guys to take the risk during their off-season, then that's a failure of Basketball Canada to get our best guys to come out and we don't deserve to be in the Olympics. RJ Barrett should have his rookie contract completed sometime in July, so he should be available.

              Comment


              • http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...a#tab=overview

                Well a 81-64 win on the road makes us 7-1 ... Is it just me or as good as our record it I will always see the glass half full . What I mean is that I have been disappointed one to many times to my liking .

                Comment


                • guyroch wrote: View Post
                  http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...a#tab=overview

                  Well a 81-64 win on the road makes us 7-1 ... Is it just me or as good as our record it I will always see the glass half full . What I mean is that I have been disappointed one to many times to my liking .
                  This is great news though. I'll take this for today

                  (Also, to see the glass as half full, as you said — is in fact — the optimist's way.
                  Just wait until it actually is full.
                  Canadian basketball has much to be optimistic about.)
                  Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Mon Sep 17th, 2018, 09:20 PM.

                  Comment


                  • 7-1 and we are sitting pretty. Lets wait until November to see if we need to worry about February. If this team manages at least 1 win in November when facing Brazil or Venezuela then it will still be a great success.

                    Comment


                    • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      This is great news though. I'll take this for today

                      (Also, to see the glass as half full, as you said — is in fact — the optimist's way.
                      Just wait until it actually is full.
                      Canadian basketball has much to be optimistic about.)
                      You are so right .. I meant the glass is half empty ...

                      Comment


                      • guyroch wrote: View Post
                        You are so right .. I meant the glass is half empty ...
                        No, you didn't. Deep in your heart, and though you won't admit it here... no, you didn't.

                        Comment


                        • guyroch wrote: View Post
                          http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...a#tab=overview

                          Well a 81-64 win on the road makes us 7-1 ... Is it just me or as good as our record it I will always see the glass half full . What I mean is that I have been disappointed one to many times to my liking .
                          Awesome. Just make Roy Rana the full time coach already. The guy is a flat out winner.

                          These are the type of games that Jay Triano would lose and then make up some type of excuse about how much more experienced the international squads were.

                          Comment


                          • guyroch wrote: View Post
                            http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...a#tab=overview

                            Well a 81-64 win on the road makes us 7-1 ... Is it just me or as good as our record it I will always see the glass half full . What I mean is that I have been disappointed one to many times to my liking .

                            Joel Anthony dusted off his Canada national team jersey and came up big with 17 points .

                            Comment


                            • Was going to say the same thing. Felt like Roy Rana had the team prepared and maintained composure when facing adversity. Something Triano seemed to not do well.

                              Comment


                              • jerome wrote: View Post
                                Was going to say the same thing. Felt like Roy Rana had the team prepared and maintained composure when facing adversity. Something Triano seemed to not do well.
                                I trust Glen Grundwald to set things straight.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X