Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
    Canada has a team that could actually win gold in Fiba or Olympics if the full roster showed up and if we have good coaching. Latter is the bigger concern.
    The thing is we probably can guess that only 6 or 7 NBA guys will show up. However at this stage I dont believe Canada can win a medal yet especially if Ben Simmons dress up for team Australia and Giannis dress up for Greece as these teams are already tough to beat without them.

Comment

• Lol that was easy

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        Lol that was easy
        Please don't bring Jay Triano back. This Rana guy is doing just fine.

Comment

• So if they go with the FIFA format for the draw and use the FIBA world rankings when dividing into pots, Canada probably just barely falls into the third pot based on where things stand right now:

First pot: China (host), US, Spain, France, Serbia, Argentina, Lithuania, Greece
          Second pot: Australia, Russia, Brazil, Italy, Puerto Rico, Dominican, Turkey, Venezuela
          Third Pot: Germany, Canada, Czech, Poland, Iran...

By my count, the only way Canada moves up to the second pot would be if one of Uruguay wins tomorrow and gets in ahead of either PR or DR, and Montenegro wins tomorrow to keep Latvia out, and then Canada passes Germany in the next edition of the FIBA standings. We're currently 6 points back of them, but they lost their two games this week to Israel and Greece.

Comment

• The potential player pool is deep and talented.
            NBA Guys in ABC order:
            Birch
            Boucher
            Brooks
            Gilgeous-Alexander
            Joseph
            Lyles
            Mitrou-Long
            Murray
            Olynyk
            Powell
            Stauskas
            Thompson
            Wiggins

That is 13 guys off the hop. Add in the top international guys that are well experienced and Canada is in great shape to have a run to the medal round. Will they medal, maybe, mabe not, but they should field a great team regarless of all the NBA guys showing or not.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              The potential player pool is deep and talented.
              NBA Guys in ABC order:
              Birch
              Boucher
              Brooks
              Gilgeous-Alexander
              Joseph
              Lyles
              Mitrou-Long
              Murray
              Olynyk
              Powell
              Stauskas
              Thompson
              Wiggins

That is 13 guys off the hop. Add in the top international guys that are well experienced and Canada is in great shape to have a run to the medal round. Will they medal, maybe, mabe not, but they should field a great team regarless of all the NBA guys showing or not.
              We don't need Wiggins

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                We don't need Wiggins
                36 players contributed to get us to the worlds in China.Wiggins was not on that list. Brady Heslip played every game.

Comment

• Great time for basketball in Canada. And the future is looking brighter still because of new kids coming up while the existing talent is still relatively young. Canada hasn't peaked yet.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Great time for basketball in Canada. And the future is looking brighter still because of new kids coming up while the existing talent is still relatively young. Canada hasn't peaked yet.
                    With Murray we have a world top flight PG for the 1st time since Nash .. Joseph and Murray starting back court is something we haven't seen in Canadian history ..Centre with Thompson Olynyk gives us some versailty at center cause Thompson is a big body who loves to bang and get rebounds and Olynyk is a center if you want to go small and run ...

We only need Wiggins if he checks his ego at the door .. Stauskas shooting is a plus but he has said no one to many times for my liking .

At PG

Andrew Nembhard and Gilgeous-Alexander are upcoming PG stars also ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2i2JcdXTA8
                    Last edited by guyroch; Mon Feb 25, 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                      With Murray we have a world top flight PG for the 1st time since Nash .. Joseph and Murray starting back court is something we haven't seen in Canadian history...
                      Talented and with a depth of international experience. Things look great for now and the future.

Comment

With Murray we have a world top flight PG for the 1st time since Nash .. Joseph and Murray starting back court is something we haven't seen in Canadian history ..Centre with Thompson Olynyk gives us some versailty at center cause Thompson is a big body who loves to bang and get rebounds and Olynyk is a center if you want to go small and run ...

We only need Wiggins if he checks his ego at the door .. Stauskas shooting is a plus but he has said no one to many times for my liking .

At PG

With Barrett, CoJo, Murray and Shae, you could go positionless at the 1-2-3. Every guy is a great ball-handler and can also be a scorer, if needed.

Comment

At PG

Don't sleep on Kevin Pangos and his FIBA experience. The length of Nembhard and Gilgeous-Alexander is nice to have though.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I don't think guys like Durant and Lebron will be playing for the U.S ... It might be a mishmash of young guns and some guys all stars ..

I could see DeRozan and Lowry wanting to suite up again ...

Comment

• I'm the casual international fan. I care about 2 things:

1. Will we qualify for the 2020 olympics

2. Will our best players come to play
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                I'm the casual international fan. I care about 2 things:

1. Will we qualify for the 2020 olympics

2. Will our best players come to play
                                In the past that second question was always easy to answer but now the pool is so large that we don't have to beg ... In the past the best player was usually somebody that actually made a NCAA roster and had marginal success . I think when we actually qualify everyone will want to come to the party and some will be disappointed that even being a NBA player doesn't guarantee you a spot .

Comment

Working...
                                X