Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    I don't disagree, but it's not up to me to make decisions about someone else's money, how they spend it and how much they should make. I guess I could flip that around and say "100 million is nothing to sniff at." Maybe he wants to build a new hospital in some third world country and also endow Basketball Canada with $30 million to support their program. I don't know. Or maybe he just wants to maximize his earnings like most other all stars/superstars. His choice.

Or mayae he doesn't like the pressure of playing for Canada and likes his whole summer off ...Let's not forget his owner wanted in his contact to have a clause that he had to work hard in the off season .. His growth as a player has had a downward spiral ... He drove Butler nuts ... Again I say I do think his desire to not play for Canada has something to do with how his career path as gone ... He was born with God given talent but if the going tuff the tuff get going ..

Comment

• ROWAN BARRETT NAMED SENIOR MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM GENERAL MANAGER ....

To me he was always GM and Nash was GM for Name purposes ... Although here is hoping Roman will be more objective when it comes to who will coach this team .

Comment

• edit: embedded tweets still don't work

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
          ROWAN BARRETT NAMED SENIOR MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM GENERAL MANAGER ....

To me he was always GM and Nash was GM for Name purposes ... Although here is hoping Roman will be more objective when it comes to who will coach this team .
          Looks like he is being agnostic with regards to who will be the head coach in the FIBA tournament. They will be looking at the past three coaches as well as shopping world wide for the right guy. I've not been impressed with Triano. But what do I know. Article in todays Morning Coffee. I'm using my tablet and importing links is tiresome. Check it out yourself.

Comment

Looks like he is being agnostic with regards to who will be the head coach in the FIBA tournament. They will be looking at the past three coaches as well as shopping world wide for the right guy. I've not been impressed with Triano. But what do I know. Article in todays Morning Coffee. I'm using my tablet and importing links is tiresome. Check it out yourself.
            I think it just makes so much sense to have Roy Rana as HC. He's coached all of these guys to great results in junior-age tournaments so he has familiarity not only with the players, but also with bringing guys together and getting them in sync quickly in these every-game-counts tournaments. I wouldn't hate it if they went and brought in an elite European coach either. I would be disappointed if they just went with Triano again; the results just haven't been there at the international level with him.

Comment

I don't know about Jay ... You think how many years he has been in coaching he is qualified but his record speaks for itself ... Maybe Jay as an assistant is the only thing his resume suggests he is successful at ...

I think Leo as head coach was more of just a figure head and he let his assistants drive the car and he had more success then Jay with working with less .

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post

I think it just makes so much sense to have Roy Rana as HC. He's coached all of these guys to great results in junior-age tournaments so he has familiarity not only with the players, but also with bringing guys together and getting them in sync quickly in these every-game-counts tournaments. I wouldn't hate it if they went and brought in an elite European coach either. I would be disappointed if they just went with Triano again; the results just haven't been there at the international level with him.
                IF Barrett is the future of Canada basketball and going with Roy Rana would be an excellent choice .. It's time to say good bye of the Wiggins and Nik and Jay era .

Comment

• Saturday is when FIBA will have is having it's draw for the World Cup ..

Comment

• FIBA finally released its process for the draw.

http://www.fiba.basketball/en/basket...-cup-2019-draw

The key is that each team can't be drawn into a group with another team from their region (except in the case of Europe, where this would be impossible). Canada's possible groups, as I understand it, are one of:
                    Serbia, Lithuania, Greece
                    plus one of
                    Russia, Australia, Italy
                    plus one of
                    Nigeria, Senegal, New Zealand, Angola

It's definitely not ideal. Whichever group we get placed in, we're going to need to knock off a top 15 team to advance, while all the other Americas teams get much easier paths to advance to the 2nd round. We also lose out on the chance to draw into China's group, which is what every team is hoping for.

edit:
                    Also, I think there's a 50% chance we're in Australia's group. South Korea and Philippines are both in our pot, and neither of those can go into Australia's group, so either us or Montenegro need to be placed in Australia's group.
                    Last edited by octothorp; Fri Mar 15, 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Canada gets Lithuania, Australia and Senegal in their World Cup group...definitely the hardest possible draw
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                        Canada gets Lithuania, Australia and Senegal in their World Cup group...definitely the hardest possible draw
                        Past failures hurt our seeding (...looking at you Jay Triano & Andrew Wiggins).

Team Canada could not have had a worse draw for the FIBA Basketball World Cup of 2019. 32 teams were divided into 8 groups. Despite winning their qualifying group with a 10-2 record, seeds were decided with an eye towards past performance in big tournaments, rather than the qualification tournament itself. Canada is seed 23. After the draw this morning, that stung even more.
                        https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019...-at-fiba-draw/

Comment

• Yup, and you look at the group Venezuela got:
                          China, Poland, Ivory Coast. That slim margin that Venezuela had in world ranking ended up being huge for the seeding.

Lithuania is going to be really tough, but Australia is definitely beatable for Canada; it just sucks that our very first game is probably the most important of the tournament for us. Beat Australia, and they probably don't have another must-win game against a top team until the quarterfinals.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                            Yup, and you look at the group Venezuela got:
                            China, Poland, Ivory Coast. That slim margin that Venezuela had in world ranking ended up being huge for the seeding.

Lithuania is going to be really tough, but Australia is definitely beatable for Canada; it just sucks that our very first game is probably the most important of the tournament for us. Beat Australia, and they probably don't have another must-win game against a top team until the quarterfinals.
                            Oh well. Their job is clear, win their first two games. You've got to beat them eventually. Hopefully it's all hands on deck for te players, and Barrett finds a good coach.

Comment

• Boys.. say what you will...
                              All those countries in Canadas pool.. are shitting bricks the size of shipping containers....

Here
                              We
                              Come..
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                Boys.. say what you will...
                                All those countries in Canadas pool.. are shitting bricks the size of shipping containers....

Here
                                We
                                Come..
                                Ya exactly. In a perfect world our roster will be:
                                Barrett
                                Joseph
                                Murray
                                Wiggins
                                Olynk
                                Thompson
                                Lyles
                                Boucher
                                Brooks
                                Birch
                                Staukas
                                Shai-Alexander
                                Powell
                                Nembhard
                                Brazdeikes
                                Wigginton

That doesn't include any of the players that helped qualify. Our future is bright. We got it tough with the draw, but the other teams have it tougher if we all come to play, with a capable coach not named Triano or Rautins

Comment

Working...
                                X