X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

On the bright side, gives the guys plenty of time to practice and play together.

But yeah that is a total mess.
    yeah but on the not-bright side, four of those windows are during the NBA season so the teams are likely to cobbled together with players from whatever leagues are in their offseason's at that time, and coached by randoms.

not sure there'll be a lot of team building

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    guyroch wrote: View Post
    Canada is in a bracket with " DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ", " US VIRGIN ISLANDS ", " BAHAMAS "

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers 2023 - FIBA.basketball

1st Window: November 22 - 30, 2021
    2nd Window: February 21 - March 1, 2022
    3rd Window: June 27 - July 5, 2022
    4th Window: August 22 - 30, 2022
    5th Window: November 7 - 15, 2022
    6th Window: February 20 - 28, 2023

Ahhh remember the good old says when it took one tournament over a two week span to determine who qualifies .
    On the bright side, gives the guys plenty of time to practice and play together.

But yeah that is a total mess.

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied
    Canada is in a bracket with " DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ", " US VIRGIN ISLANDS ", " BAHAMAS "

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers 2023 - FIBA.basketball

1st Window: November 22 - 30, 2021
    2nd Window: February 21 - March 1, 2022
    3rd Window: June 27 - July 5, 2022
    4th Window: August 22 - 30, 2022
    5th Window: November 7 - 15, 2022
    6th Window: February 20 - 28, 2023

Ahhh remember the good old says when it took one tournament over a two week span to determine who qualifies .

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Whatever happened to this guy? Did he eat himself into oblivion?

According to his wiki page still playing basketball in Taiwan so still living the good life.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Tristan Thompson is the big we actually need, but Birch would be nice also. Boucher isn't a C and would do nothing to stop the 260+ goliaths we face in international ball. I'd still like him on the squad but more for his offense and long arms getting into passing lanes. If a 7' big posts him up he's not gonna be able to offer much resistance.

Edey definitely seems worth a flyer, but not sure he'll be ready for next year.
    Whatever happened to this guy? Did he eat himself into oblivion?

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Some talent infusion would definitely help.. but we need to get bigger too. Hopefully for the Worlds we get Birch and Boucher. Maybe even Edey who was our best player in the U19 games.
    Tristan Thompson is the big we actually need, but Birch would be nice also. Boucher isn't a C and would do nothing to stop the 260+ goliaths we face in international ball. I'd still like him on the squad but more for his offense and long arms getting into passing lanes. If a 7' big posts him up he's not gonna be able to offer much resistance.

Edey definitely seems worth a flyer, but not sure he'll be ready for next year.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

As it should be. If we end up with lesser talent it will be offset by the familiarity with the program/team/coach/offense/defense.

Hopefully the big guns commit (Murray and SGA) and I think we'll qualify at the World Cup. Luckily it seems like the Americas teams are all on a downswing except USA and Canada. Argentina isn't the powerhouse it used to be.
    Some talent infusion would definitely help.. but we need to get bigger too. Hopefully for the Worlds we get Birch and Boucher. Maybe even Edey who was our best player in the U19 games.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

You're underselling this. Nurse also has basically said if you aren't interested in next summer and world cup then check back in 2025. If they stick to that, it could pay big dividends. Qualifying for the Olympics at the world cup would solve a lot of Canada's issues.
    As it should be. If we end up with lesser talent it will be offset by the familiarity with the program/team/coach/offense/defense.

Hopefully the big guns commit (Murray and SGA) and I think we'll qualify at the World Cup. Luckily it seems like the Americas teams are all on a downswing except USA and Canada. Argentina isn't the powerhouse it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !! Just 1.1 point out of 17th ...

FIBA World Ranking Presented by NIKE, men - FIBA.basketball

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Nick's staying as coach. Just announced on Tim and Friends. Will be there for the Paris games. So until 2024.
    You're underselling this. Nurse also has basically said if you aren't interested in next summer and world cup then check back in 2025. If they stick to that, it could pay big dividends. Qualifying for the Olympics at the world cup would solve a lot of Canada's issues.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Nick's staying as coach. Just announced on Tim and Friends. Will be there for the Paris games. So until 2024.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !!

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    I think we will see a another jump after the next window of World Cup qualifying...if we win the games we are supposed to.

Leave a comment:

• guyroch
    replied
    Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !! Just 1.1 point out of 17th ...

FIBA World Ranking Presented by NIKE, men - FIBA.basketball

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Shredder wrote: View Post
    With the terrible news on Baynes, I have no issues with guys with uncertain contract situations sitting out. Missing Olynyk, Birch, and Boucher hurt our chances of making the Olympics, but I get it.

I feel sorry for Baynes. No new contract and then a year (potentially career) ending injury suffered at the olympics is a nightmare scenario.
    Baynes in this case probably had to rebuild his value around the league since had such a bad season last season. So getting time in the Olympics was a way to do that.

I don't think Patti Mills (bronze) or Evan Fournier (silver) regret going to the Olympics.. and they were both free agents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X