Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    In the FIBA Americas championship last summer the Canadian team did have a perimeter scorer in Brady Heslip who is a better shooter than Stauskas and the others you mentioned.
    A perimeter scorer is not just a guy who scores from the outside, it means scoring from a player playing one of the perimeter positions. Heslip is a one dimensional player, he does bring great 3 point shooting, but does little else to help his team. The other players that were mentioned bring different aspects to the team and in time will be a big improvement over Heslip.

Also, to say Heslip is a better shooter than Stauskas is for debate. Brady averaged 46.5% from 3 point land this past season, but only 45% from the field overall. He was not a shot creator or one who had the ball in his hands other than to shoot it. Nik on the other hand was the offensive focus for his team and averaged 44% from 3 and 47% from the field overall...all this while being tasked to create for teammates and to have the ball in his hands at the end of possessions. Add in his 3.3 assists per game to Brady's 0.5 and you see a much more dynamic player. Also as a senior Brady average just over 11 ppg, as a sophomore Nik put up over 17ppg.

I won't even bother with what Wiggings and the others bring.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      France is the reigning European Champion, and that is a huge accomplishment, so I would say good on paper and good on the floor. They took silver at the same championships in 2001 and were 5th place finishers at worlds in 2006.
      *Blushes* Guess I didn't pay any attention to the last Euros Lol.
      I suppose they are doing better lately then. I still felt they underachieved for a while.

Comment

Does anyone think Cavs not having Wiggins on position number 1 in their draft board has something to do with what Canadian Bennett did last year ... I know how Raptor fans got soured on Euro's after Bargs and so did Clevland do it with Canadians ??

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
          Does anyone think Cavs not having Wiggins on position number 1 in their draft board has something to do with what Canadian Bennett did last year ... I know how Raptor fans got soured on Euro's after Bargs and so did Clevland do it with Canadians ??
          I think we will have to wait till after the draft to see who they end up choosing or if they make any deals. They may not be soured on Bennett yet as well, he was injured and out of shape last year. IF he comes back ready to play is shape and with some confidence, we could see that he was worthy of the pick in that draft....or not.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
            Not really. I too was surprised when they picked Bennett, but they handled his situation so bad and it affected Bennett's performance and confidence. He just had surgery so he wasn't able to play for Team Canada. But the Cavs rushed him to training camp. He wasn't in shape so he had a bad game. He'll bounce back. Tristan wasn't a bad pick. They chose him because Kanter was already drafted and Jonas wasn't available until the next season (which i believe was a very smart move since that season was shortened anyways).

I do think Wiggins would work well with the Cavs. He'll be a decent 3rd option, with Kyrie and Waiters. They should bring back Hawes though. And they now got a real coach. But who knows, Wiggins might end up in Miami in exchange for Lebron lol.

Comment

The Cavs do not have to deal the number 1 pick if Lebron signs on. They have cap space as it stands now.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                A perimeter scorer is not just a guy who scores from the outside, it means scoring from a player playing one of the perimeter positions. Heslip is a one dimensional player, he does bring great 3 point shooting, but does little else to help his team. The other players that were mentioned bring different aspects to the team and in time will be a big improvement over Heslip.

Also, to say Heslip is a better shooter than Stauskas is for debate. Brady averaged 46.5% from 3 point land this past season, but only 45% from the field overall. He was not a shot creator or one who had the ball in his hands other than to shoot it. Nik on the other hand was the offensive focus for his team and averaged 44% from 3 and 47% from the field overall...all this while being tasked to create for teammates and to have the ball in his hands at the end of possessions. Add in his 3.3 assists per game to Brady's 0.5 and you see a much more dynamic player. Also as a senior Brady average just over 11 ppg, as a sophomore Nik put up over 17ppg.

I won't even bother with what Wiggings and the others bring.
                Are they going to commit for the next 3 seasons? This is Basketball Canada biggest problem besides sponsorship dollars. It's a Canadian tradition to ascend to the NBA and rest up in the summer.

Comment

The Cavs do not have to deal the number 1 pick if Lebron signs on. They have cap space as it stands now.
                  They don't have too but it fetches them Kevin Love or a NBA Allstar it might help alure Lebron to come back to Clevland .. Lebron is in a win now situation .. He isn't going to wait for Bennet , and this years number 1 to develop ..

Comment

Are they going to commit for the next 3 seasons? This is Basketball Canada biggest problem besides sponsorship dollars. It's a Canadian tradition to ascend to the NBA and rest up in the summer.
                    A tradition by what, 2 players. Ahhahahha let's hope it doesn't continue.
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      A tradition by what, 2 players. Ahhahahha let's hope it doesn't continue.
                      No, here's a list of players who have declined for whatever reason:

Bill Wennington
                      Rick Fox (played only at 1994 World Championships)
                      Jamal Magloire (10 years or more)
                      Steve Nash (about 10 consecutive years)
                      Samuel Delambert (sporadic involement with the SNMT)
                      Tristan Thompson (declined in 2011)

Declining FIBA Americas last summer:
                      Kelly Olynyk (he was not injured as reported. KO was practicing at Gonzaga the week before SNMT camp)
                      Robert Sacre
                      Andrew Wiggins

Comment

Canada basketball will get its shit together. As the talent grows so too will the popularity of joining the team, i think players will start showin up. Wiggins openly said he would and so did numerous others including Ennis and Thompson. These's guys want to rep Canada, and what better way to do it then to play in FIBA and show the world what we got up here.

Comment

Bill Wennington

Kelly Olynyk (he was not injured as reported. KO was practicing at Gonzaga the week before SNMT camp)
                          Robert Sacre
                          Andrew Wiggins
                          It is easy to list some guys that did not play, but most, if not all have extenuating circumstances.
                          To highlight a few.

Dalembert was not even a Canadian citizen till 2007, after joining the national he was booted off in 2008 for not being a team player.

Olynyk/Sacre Both were at crucial stages of their professional careers last summer, Sacre needed to sign a new contract and could not risk injury, Olynyk was newly drafted and was under the guidance of the Celtics, he had not signed his rookie contract yet as well.

Bill Wennington played regularly for team Canada, the 83 university games where the team took gold, 84 Olympics, he was also part of teh team that failed to qualify for the 92 games, seems like a long time with the National program to me.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

My point is that in any given year a high percentage of Canadians in the NBA will decline participation in SNMT due to injury, contract or other committments. Oh yes, I must mention insurance which costs dearly for the national team for players with NBA contracts.

Bill Wennignton, for instance, had 13 seasons in the NBA starting in 1985. The only year he participated in the SNMT during that time was in 1991 Olympic qualifications and when he was looking for a European League contract (he played for Virtus Bologna from 1991-93 coming back to the Bulls in 1993). Bill played on the SNMT from 1982-84 before his NBA career began.

Comment

Bill Wennington

Robert Sacre
                              Andrew Wiggins
                              Your comment had been "It's a Canadian tradition to ascend to the NBA and rest up in the summer.", but when questioned about the extant this "tradition", you now say "declined for whatever reason". Tough to debate someone that keeps moving the target.

Interesting list to justify fear that current young players may "decline". Going back as far as Wenningtin and Fox? Really?
                              Nash: put in over 10 years with the national team. He was in his 30s, with on-going back issues when he backed off. I don't think anybody anyone is talking about quite fits that scenario.
                              Wennington: played for 5 years, including world universiade team, was on 1984 Olympic team, then couldn't play as a pro until 1992 when pros were allowed, which he did. By the time next Olympics came, he was 33 and on the decline.
                              Fox: A unique one. Had nothing to do with "resting". He spent his summers chasing a future career as an actor, involved in numerous movie and TV projects. Does anyone currently fit such a profile?
                              Magloire: Don't know his story, but his game never came close to suitable for the international game. However you win that one, however much it has to do with current young players.
                              Dalembert: Wasn't a citizen until Aug 2007, and promptly joined the national team, until kicked off by Leo. Hardly fits the "tradition of resting in the summer". Sporadic?
                              Thompson: competed for Canada at Under 18s, and Under 19s. Only summer he hasn't been involved with Canada Basketball is 2011, when he was a fresh 20 year old 4th pick overall by the Cavs. Any chance they insisted he spend the summer preparing for his 1st NBA season? Hardly a "rest for the summer" scenario.
                              Sacre: He was involved with Canada Basketball from 2006 to 2010, where he got very little playing time for the senior team, at least in part because his game isn't suited for FIBA . Being a 60th pick in 2012, and a FA in 2013, he was scrambling for his NBA life both summers, and I'd be shocked that anybody doesn't understand his priority for those 2 summers was to prepare in every way possible for the Lakers, not sit on the bench for Canada's team.
                              Olynyk: Where did you see he didn't have plantar fasciitis? That he was practicing the week before means nothing. He was still at Canada's training camp, to still be involved in the program despite being unable to play, or do you think Team Canada didn't know about his Gonzaga practices and he pulled a fast one on them? PS. he has been involved with Canada basketball since Under-18s.
                              Wiggins: So you think a high school kid, who hadn't even played a game of college ball, and whose priority was preparing for the same, could have helped Canada be better against grown men? You bring this up to support "get to the NBA then rest for summers"? He wasn't even in college!

If you want to play the cynical *$&^@ over these young men who have committed, have at it, but that is a lame argument to support it.

Comment

Wiggins could have helped at sf last summer. That was the weakest spot. Nash gave Andrew the option of the U19 or the SMNT but he chose summer school and practice with KU players. I am not questioning that choice.

Thompson declined in 2011 because of insurance costs. Corey Joseph made less in the NBA so it was cheaper just to insure his contract.
                                Last edited by stretch; Tue Jun 24, 2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X