Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KeonClark wrote: View Post

    I really do hate to say I told you so..
    You were right .. As the weekend approached I said we are safe a lot aren't backing out but this weekend they were dropping like flies ...

    Did they hold off saying who wasn't coming so as to not effect ticket sales


    Comment


    • Australia 12-man Roster for FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019
      Aron Baynes Andrew Bogut Jonah Bolden Xavier Cooks
      Matthew Dellavedova Cameron Gliddon Chris Goulding Joe Ingles
      Nicholas Kay Jock Landale Patty Mills Nathan Sobey

      Comment


      • Puffer wrote: View Post
        All of the guys that have backed out have done more for their country, sacrificed more for their country than most of us ever will, unless we have some veterans in the crew. I can't say a thing to them that is negative. They were there when the National basketball program was hanging on by a thread. Giving up 4 or 5 weeks a year of their time for us all. They are heroes to me.

        It's no good comparing them to other countries. Different cultures, different values and different attention from the citizens of their homelands.

        Soon, there will be enough Canadian NBA players that half of them could stay home and Canada will still medal. This is all part of the building process. The growing interest in basketball in Canada will lead to growing interest players that participate and there will be increased interest in playing for Canada I suspect.
        Then they need to stop hyping up and bragging about these kids saying they're the "Golden generation", "Olympics here we come" or "They will challenge the USA soon" when they can't even beat the non-US countries in their own continent. Sorry but as fan who can only live his hoops dreams on NBA 2K my career and church pick-up leagues, this is just a disappointment.

        On positive note, I'm excited to see what Nick Nurse can do with this Canadian team and this might also help with the development of Chris Boucher and Oshae Brissett. Hope to see a great game tonight still vs. Nigeria!

        Comment


        • guyroch wrote: View Post
          Australia 12-man Roster for FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019
          Aron Baynes Andrew Bogut Jonah Bolden Xavier Cooks
          Matthew Dellavedova Cameron Gliddon Chris Goulding Joe Ingles
          Nicholas Kay Jock Landale Patty Mills Nathan Sobey
          Australia got a better NBA turnout, but it's still mostly their scrubs vs. our Scrubbs.

          Comment


          • Puffer wrote: View Post
            All of the guys that have backed out have done more for their country, sacrificed more for their country than most of us ever will, unless we have some veterans in the crew. I can't say a thing to them that is negative. They were there when the National basketball program was hanging on by a thread. Giving up 4 or 5 weeks a year of their time for us all. They are heroes to me.
            This is ridiculous.

            Comment


            • golden wrote: View Post

              Australia got a better NBA turnout, but it's still mostly their scrubs vs. our Scrubbs.
              Yeah but Joe Ingles is better than anybody on Canada's roster.

              Not having Jamal Murray on team Canada really hurts.

              Comment


              • What is wiggins beef with Triano? IE what happened in that Venezuela game?

                Also if triano is is gone then what’s the problem? Steve Simmons has an old article saying wiggins wanted money to play but I put little stock on his word.

                Comment


                • Puffer wrote: View Post
                  All of the guys that have backed out have done more for their country, sacrificed more for their country than most of us ever will, unless we have some veterans in the crew. I can't say a thing to them that is negative. They were there when the National basketball program was hanging on by a thread. Giving up 4 or 5 weeks a year of their time for us all. They are heroes to me.

                  It's no good comparing them to other countries. Different cultures, different values and different attention from the citizens of their homelands.

                  Soon, there will be enough Canadian NBA players that half of them could stay home and Canada will still medal. This is all part of the building process. The growing interest in basketball in Canada will lead to growing interest players that participate and there will be increased interest in playing for Canada I suspect.
                  Honestly, I'm tired of it. In 2012, it was "the Canadians are on their way!". In 2016, it was "don't worry they're still young and coming, it will be the golden age the next go round!". Now its 19/20, and we're saying "soon even more will come!"

                  Love the optimism, but frankly I'm getting the sense that this whole generation couldn't give a rats ass about national team. For all this talk about all the kids we have, there is ZERO notable NBA players under the age of 27 in the tournament. We have 4 guys with all star level scoring potential, 20 ppg potential, in Murray, Barrett, Wiggins and SGA. None are playing.

                  I'm not willing to wait another 4 years just to watch it happen again. No more feeling optimistic about canada basketball. Even hiring Barretts dad and Nick Nurse did nothing.
                  It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                  Comment


                  • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                    Honestly, I'm tired of it. In 2012, it was "the Canadians are on their way!". In 2016, it was "don't worry they're still young and coming, it will be the golden age the next go round!". Now its 19/20, and we're saying "soon even more will come!"

                    Love the optimism, but frankly I'm getting the sense that this whole generation couldn't give a rats ass about national team. For all this talk about all the kids we have, there is ZERO notable NBA players under the age of 27 in the tournament. We have 4 guys with all star level scoring potential, 20 ppg potential, in Murray, Barrett, Wiggins and SGA. None are playing.

                    I'm not willing to wait another 4 years just to watch it happen again. No more feeling optimistic about canada basketball. Even hiring Barretts dad and Nick Nurse did nothing.
                    Yep. This generation is basically copying everything Lebron does. Olympics, teaming up, athletes as brands, etc.... Now Lebron has decided that national teams aren't cool anymore, so everybody's bailing. It's all about the NBA because NBA owners pay the bills for Rich Paul. Now if FIBA agreed to pay Klutch clients significant appearance fees......

                    Comment


                    • golden wrote: View Post

                      Yep. This generation is basically copying everything Lebron does. Olympics, teaming up, athletes as brands, etc.... Now Lebron has decided that national teams aren't cool anymore, so everybody's bailing. It's all about the NBA because NBA owners pay the bills for Rich Paul. Now if FIBA agreed to pay Klutch clients significant appearance fees......
                      At what point are you not too worried about getting money for every little thing you do? We're in the era of 40 plus million guaranteed annually for the top 40 players. Most stars of this generation will be worth half a billion to a billion dollars, just from playing, ignoring endorsements and appearances. That is unfathomable amounts of dough.

                      Fuck Rich Paul. Lebrons buddy, education from the "school of hard knocks". These guys are just trying to be the next Puffy and Jay Z. Which is all well and good in rap, but in sports the "me me me generation" is worse with every passing year. And I don't care if I sound like an old man when I say it
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • Puffer. love ya but no.

                        Why the hell isn't SGA playing?? Gearing up for that big OKC Finals push? smh

                        He could be here as our top offensive option and honing his playmaking in a higher pressure situation than he's likely to see for years to come.

                        Put yourself in competitive situations to get better. Don't become apathetic like Andrew, fuck.

                        Comment


                        • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                          Puffer. love ya but no.

                          Why the hell isn't SGA playing?? Gearing up for that big OKC Finals push? smh

                          He could be here as our top offensive option and honing his playmaking in a higher pressure situation than he's likely to see for years to come.

                          Put yourself in competitive situations to get better. Don't become apathetic like Andrew, fuck.
                          It's the whole "How much money are you giving me to do this" attitude

                          "Secure the bag" "get paid" "no loyalty"

                          And I totally understand it, to an extent. With your ownership, or with NCAA rules, these guys should take whats theres and not be under compensated.

                          Except...thats the whole POINT to national teams. Its for pride and the spirit of competition. Its what makes NHL and NBA and soccer players playing in these tournaments for free so special. They lay on their bodies line to say they were Olympic medalists, or world cup champions, and they celebrate as if they won their league championship.

                          And I really don't wanna hear about job security and contracts. NHL players play all the time and their sport is high contact. One of the most gruesome examples of national team injuries is Paul George, and even that one is long since in his rearview, he's wealthy, just got nominated for MVP, and odds on favorite to win an NBA title right now. So the "paul george cautionary tale" is pretty funny when you still hear it mentioned
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                            It's the whole "How much money are you giving me to do this" attitude

                            "Secure the bag" "get paid" "no loyalty"

                            And I totally understand it, to an extent. With your ownership, or with NCAA rules, these guys should take whats theres and not be under compensated.

                            Except...thats the whole POINT to national teams. Its for pride and the spirit of competition. Its what makes NHL and NBA and soccer players playing in these tournaments for free so special. They lay on their bodies line to say they were Olympic medalists, or world cup champions, and they celebrate as if they won their league championship.

                            And I really don't wanna hear about job security and contracts. NHL players play all the time and their sport is high contact. One of the most gruesome examples of national team injuries is Paul George, and even that one is long since in his rearview, he's wealthy, just got nominated for MVP, and odds on favorite to win an NBA title right now. So the "paul george cautionary tale" is pretty funny when you still hear it mentioned
                            I agree wholeheartedly, but you know what the problem is? FIBA, FIFA, IIHF and the IOC make sh*tloads more money off the backs of athletes than even the NCAA. Those organizations are way more corrupt than the mafia and drug cartels combined. I actually wouldn't mind paying the players for national team events if it meant less money for those greedy bureaucrats who are also exploiting them. TBH, I have no idea what the answer is here.

                            Maybe just go back to 100% amateur athletes and don't even put the professional athletes in the situation where they have to decide.
                            Last edited by golden; Wed Aug 7, 2019, 04:41 PM.

                            Comment


                            • golden wrote: View Post

                              Yep. This generation is basically copying everything Lebron does. Olympics, teaming up, athletes as brands, etc.... Now Lebron has decided that national teams aren't cool anymore, so everybody's bailing. It's all about the NBA because NBA owners pay the bills for Rich Paul. Now if FIBA agreed to pay Klutch clients significant appearance fees......
                              CJ Mcccollum was on Woj’s pod this week and talked about the player empowerment era. Said Donovan Mitchell was in the crowd as a child when Lebron announced The Decision. IE as a boys n girls club member. The point was that today’s players coming up only remember the days of free agency, player empowerment and taking control of their careers.

                              Comment


                              • slaw wrote: View Post

                                This is ridiculous.
                                +1
                                Mamba Mentality

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X