Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...Hin6xlJY1zqqME
    Canada 17th

    Still the same problem as with the previous Power Rankings for
    Canada . If we don't count in the competition system, Canada are a legit Top 10 team, possibly a Top 5 team. But with the system calculated in here, they aren't ranked in power ahead of group rivals Lithuania and Australia, which means they cannot advance in this little table, which means they cannot be ranked higher than 16 in this little table, even though they are definitely stronger than some of the top 16 teams in this little table

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      How do you blame FIBA for players not coming out? Players make the final decision. And players recruit other players these days. And they are highly influenced by their agents and the teams, who are usually anti-FIBA.

      And yet, the Celtics still have 4 guys on the the Team USA roster. Players can choose to come out if they determine that it's in the best interest of their careers. The best players have seemingly decided that FIBA is no longer a useful career stepping stone and that the altruism payoff isn't worth the injury risk and lack of time to work on individual skills to showcase in the NBA.
      FIBA moved the tourney to this summer backing onto an Olympic to avoid the soccer world cup. You can't have a world cup and the Olympics in back-to-back years (halfway across the globe no less) and expect turn out for the world cup - expecting players to forfeit two off seasons in a row is a big ask. They changed the qualification system based solely on making FIBA more money, which system precludes NBA players (and many Euroleague players as well) from playing in any run up games. The consequence is that FIBA is moving away from the NBA and NBA players. Fine. But you can't expect them to play in your tourneys to make you money.

      Many people warned about the new FIBA set up and the timing of this world event years ago. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Sadly, Canada is uniquely positioned to bear the brunt of the changes.

      Comment


      • slaw wrote: View Post

        FIBA moved the tourney to this summer backing onto an Olympic to avoid the soccer world cup. You can't have a world cup and the Olympics in back-to-back years (halfway across the globe no less) and expect turn out for the world cup - expecting players to forfeit two off seasons in a row is a big ask. They changed the qualification system based solely on making FIBA more money, which system precludes NBA players (and many Euroleague players as well) from playing in any run up games. The consequence is that FIBA is moving away from the NBA and NBA players. Fine. But you can't expect them to play in your tourneys to make you money.

        Many people warned about the new FIBA set up and the timing of this world event years ago. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Sadly, Canada is uniquely positioned to bear the brunt of the changes.
        TBH, it still keeps coming back to this: keep the pros out of FIBA.

        Comment


        • slaw wrote: View Post

          FIBA moved the tourney to this summer backing onto an Olympic to avoid the soccer world cup. You can't have a world cup and the Olympics in back-to-back years (halfway across the globe no less) and expect turn out for the world cup - expecting players to forfeit two off seasons in a row is a big ask. They changed the qualification system based solely on making FIBA more money, which system precludes NBA players (and many Euroleague players as well) from playing in any run up games. The consequence is that FIBA is moving away from the NBA and NBA players. Fine. But you can't expect them to play in your tourneys to make you money.

          Many people warned about the new FIBA set up and the timing of this world event years ago. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Sadly, Canada is uniquely positioned to bear the brunt of the changes.
          Let me get this straight … The players play 7 games in 30 days ( Aug 1st is when camp opened ) and they are worried about the wear and tear of their body ? You can't do what the dream team did way back when and take the family on an extended vacation to a country like Austrailia ??? Do you think Nurse is putting these guys through 2 a day workouts ??? Come on ..

          Comment


          • One wonders the effect of so many up-and-coming Canadian prospects playing their high school ball in the States...is that still a thing?

            Comment


            • guyroch wrote: View Post

              Let me get this straight … The players play 7 games in 30 days ( Aug 1st is when camp opened ) and they are worried about the wear and tear of their body ? You can't do what the dream team did way back when and take the family on an extended vacation to a country like Austrailia ??? Do you think Nurse is putting these guys through 2 a day workouts ??? Come on ..
              I'm not in their head.. but I would say it's because the camp was in Australia and the games will be in China. The long distance travel, with the jet lag is probably the main reason why they said no (other than the fact they might get hurt, and won't get paid which I'm sure played a big role too).

              If the WC was in the States or Canada we'd see everyone going I bet (in both NA countries).

              Remember most of the top guys went to US schools and play for US teams. Hockey is different that way.

              We should be more proud of Tennis players. Most of those guys (even if they aren't that great) suit up for Canada all the time. I used to love watching Tennis.. back when Agassi/Sampras and Graf/Seles were kicking ass. Stopped watching when Federer and Serena took over. Now I have no idea what's happening. I hear there is some good young Canadian talent playing the sport now. I should catch a match again one day.

              Comment


              • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                One wonders the effect of so many up-and-coming Canadian prospects playing their high school ball in the States...is that still a thing?
                Biggest effect is the Lebron James Effect. Whatever the elite NBA guys do, the rest just copycat.

                Comment


                • Some guy named conor morgan has been added to team Canada ..
                  Anybody heard of this guy

                  Comment


                  • guyroch wrote: View Post
                    Some guy named conor morgan has been added to team Canada ..
                    Anybody heard of this guy
                    UBC 6’9” forward who plays in Spain. Played in qualifying games. Slots in at power forward after Wiltjer. Wonder who is hurt?
                    Coach Nurse says Oshae Brissett is injured and will not play. Hopefully for training camp.
                    Last edited by Gonzz; Thu Aug 29th, 2019, 08:00 PM.

                    Comment


                    • guyroch wrote: View Post
                      Some guy named conor morgan has been added to team Canada ..
                      Anybody heard of this guy
                      Knew his name as a recent star for UBC, never got to see him play though.

                      Comment


                      • After a summer of " is he going to show up " We have a final roster for the FIBA Worlds

                        http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...nweXN8rezxoeUU

                        This team may have a rebounding issue

                        Comment


                        • Only two guys from the NBA.. so sad

                          Comment


                          • planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Only two guys from the NBA.. so sad
                            A backup PG and a 3rd string center. Just like the good old days. Welp. Better than nothing.

                            80% of success is just showing up. Shout out to those guys who did.

                            Comment


                            • planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Only two guys from the NBA.. so sad
                              It's still maybe the strongest team we have ever sent to the worlds or Olympics .. After Steve Nash the best PG who played for the National team was Jermaine Anderson but now we have Joseph , Kevin Pangos Phil Scrubb and Andrew Nembhard

                              Comment


                              • Flashback Friday to a month ago...

                                KeonClark wrote: View Post

                                Watch there be more mysterious ailments and commitments popping up in the next month.

                                itll end up being olynyk, joseph, and the scrubb brothers again.
                                Roster announced today.

                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X