Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Lol. That was a bit tongue in cheek, but I’m referring to Lebron James “the businessman, mogul, sports agent” extraordinaire, not “the athlete formerly known as Lebron.” That guy we admired left the building a long time ago.

Lebron and Rich Paul don’t appear to be big supporters of international games probably because they or their Klutch clients can’t monetize it directly. Especially their top guys, like Ben Simmons, for example. They see nothing but risk.
    That's fair but I find it hilarious all these young players think they can become "moguls" just by showing up. "Mogul" becomes something after you've achieved greatness. TBH there's only a handful of real "moguls" in the NBA; LBJ, Curry, Durant, Giannis and Harden (maybe Westbrook).

It's also weird that before LBJ won the title with Miami, he said himself that winning the Olympics was his greatest achievement/satisfaction to date. For perennial losers like Devin Booker, maybe that should be a hint for him.

Comment

• http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...l#tab=boxscore

Joseph led Canada ( 24 pts ) to a 22 point win over
      Senegal .. Next up this squad has to qualify for the Olympics .. Next 2 games are big !!

Comment

• Team Canada basketball was embarrassing this year. We have all this fucking talent but nobody wants to play consistently. Every single Canadian player that didn’t show up this year should feel ashamed
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I know you're talking about Lebron's influence on international basketball competition but there's still much to admire about Lebron. The work he's doing with his school is very impressive. And he donates an immense amount of money to charities. I suspect he's gonna make an enormous humanitarian impact for the rest of his days.

And for FIBA/The Olympics ... really, he's put in his time. I don't fault him for conserving his energy at this stage, after being to The Finals HOW MANY times in the last 10 years? Just cause other players may look at him sitting out and think that if he doesn't they don't have to, I find it hard to put the blame on him. As it stands, Wiggins, for example, is just a b*tch. Ain't Lebron's fault.
          I don't want Lebron to play anymore. What I'd like to see is Klutch Sports (aka: Lebron & Rich Paul) come out publicly and strongly endorse & encourage their NBA clients (e.g. AD, Simmons, Bledsoe, TT, CoJo, Lyles, Draymond, Harrell, etc...) to play FIBA. Lebron/Klutch are the defacto trend-setters for the NBA players in the Player Empowerment Era. Whatever Klutch advocates is gospel to young players these days. That's basically what Khem Birch was referring to when he said that he's his own man and makes decisions for himself.

If Klutch made FIBA a priority, then you'd see more players showing up... but the problem is that Klutch can't monetize FIBA, so they discourage their clients from participating. And that is 100% on Lebron & Rich Paul.

Comment

• Deathswap wrote: View Post

That's fair but I find it hilarious all these young players think they can become "moguls" just by showing up. "Mogul" becomes something after you've achieved greatness. TBH there's only a handful of real "moguls" in the NBA; LBJ, Curry, Durant, Giannis and Harden (maybe Westbrook).

It's also weird that before LBJ won the title with Miami, he said himself that winning the Olympics was his greatest achievement/satisfaction to date. For perennial losers like Devin Booker, maybe that should be a hint for him.
            This first struck me when Chris Bosh started talking about his "legacy." He had accomplished nothing at the time. Making a DVD of your first tattoo is not a legacy (at least not the kind you want). Win something on the basketball court - now you have a legacy.

But yeah, guys are now thinking this way before they're even pros. Social media, all other media, shoe deals, etc all rank higher in the personal brand + legacy priority list than FIBA tournaments.

​​​​​
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Hachimura is a ROOKIE by the way. So I don't want to hear the "he's a rookie" excuse when it comes to Clarke and the dude that the Pels drafted.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...l#tab=boxscore

Joseph led Canada ( 24 pts ) to a 22 point win over
                Senegal .. Next up this squad has to qualify for the Olympics .. Next 2 games are big !!
                Next two games are big, but if they do well in them it means they qualify for the qualifier, not the Olympics. And, frankly, with all the other Americas teams already qualifying by advancing to the next round, Canada is an easy choice for one of the wild card slots to make the Americas qualifier anyway. So, it would be good to win the next two and remove all doubt, make sure they get the invite to the qualifier. But if they don't they probably end up there anyway.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• maybe i'm in the minority but i dont care about FIBA/olympics at all. seems like NBA players don't either. it seems to really only benefit roleplayers looking for more NBA minutes.
                  Last edited by iblastoff; Thu Sep 5, 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Next two games are big, but if they do well in them it means they qualify for the qualifier, not the Olympics. And, frankly, with all the other Americas teams already qualifying by advancing to the next round, Canada is an easy choice for one of the wild card slots to make the Americas qualifier anyway. So, it would be good to win the next two and remove all doubt, make sure they get the invite to the qualifier. But if they don't they probably end up there anyway.
                    Nick Nurse said he has to start developing relationships with Canadians in the NBA .. Heck the fact he did have a relationship with Cory is maybe why Cory did show up …

Comment

I dont understand the setup of this tournament. I thought the top 2 teams from each group moved onto the next round? But now Canada plays 2 more games but they don't actually advance the the next round? bizarre
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I dont understand the setup of this tournament. I thought the top 2 teams from each group moved onto the next round? But now Canada plays 2 more games but they don't actually advance the the next round? bizarre
                        Only the top 7 teams qualify for the Olympics.. and it's per region (1 from Africa, 2 from Americas, 1 from Asia, 2 from Europe and 1 from Oceania). Japan gets a free birth since they host the games no matter how they place at the WCup.

The next set are determined at the Olympic Qualifying tourney.. but to make it to that tourney depends on how well you do in the WCup as well. There will be some additional teams that make it even if they do poorly in the WCup or the Qualifying tourney but usually a bribe or two is needed.

So yeah, Canada needs to still play well even if they are technically out otherwise they may miss out at the Olympic Qualifying Tourney which would be pretty embarrassing.

Comment

• Germany is slightly better than this Canadian squad but not by much.

Comment

So if we win the next two we make the Olympics

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

So if we win the next two we make the Olympics
                              No.. we win the next two and we make the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.. which we compete against 6 or 7 other teams.. winner of that tournament goes to the Olympics. The qualifying tourney is next summer - just before the Summer Games. Hopefully after the NBA playoffs so we can get some guys like Murray on that squad.

Comment

• Here the talk around the NBA is it seems the Olympics has more cred then World Cup and hope that translate into Canadian players participating .. Heck give Canadian fans Murray , Olynyk , Powel , Thompson ,and Barrett and we will be quite happy .. Those guys can easily get this team to the Olympics ..

Comment

Working...
                                X