Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • guyroch wrote: View Post
    Funny thing I heard on Lowe podcast.. Bill Simmons saying he would have loved Murray on the U.S squad and Lowe had to tell him he is Canadian ..
    i heard that lol and it dawned on him how good the canadian team if ppl played

    Comment


    • Looks like we are a lok for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. If we don't put together a top squad for that run I may give up on Canada Basketball.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

      Comment


      • WJF wrote: View Post
        Looks like we are a lok for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. If we don't put together a top squad for that run I may give up on Canada Basketball.
        Not sure how accurate the wiki page is for that tourney, but if it is the tourney is scheduled from July 6-July 12:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket...ummer_Olympics

        Right in the thick of free agency. Ugh.

        - Murray already signed his extension..so that's good.
        - Olynyk has a player option on his deal and can choose to be a free agent - could be an issue, but he showed up to the Worlds. I'm not worried.
        - CoJo just signed a 3 year deal.. so he's good.
        - Dillon Brooks's rookie deal comes to an end. So he's basically an RFA - could be an issue.
        - Khem Birch's deal ends in 2021 - so that's good too
        - Trey Lyles has a partially guaranteed deal with the Spurs. So could become a free agent
        - Dwight Powell had a contract extension with the Mavs.. so no worries there.
        - Tristan is a free agent. I'd be surprised if he plays considering he's a Klutch client.
        - Wiggins - lol.. the guy won't show up.
        - Barrett, SGA, NAW, Clarke are all on rookie deals. They should have no excuses.

        Let's hope the tourney will be closer to home. If it ends up being in a country like China or something, than forget it - nobody will show up again.

        Comment


        • planetmars wrote: View Post

          Not sure how accurate the wiki page is for that tourney, but if it is the tourney is scheduled from July 6-July 12:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket...ummer_Olympics

          Right in the thick of free agency. Ugh.

          - Murray already signed his extension..so that's good.
          - Olynyk has a player option on his deal and can choose to be a free agent - could be an issue, but he showed up to the Worlds. I'm not worried.
          - CoJo just signed a 3 year deal.. so he's good.
          - Dillon Brooks's rookie deal comes to an end. So he's basically an RFA - could be an issue.
          - Khem Birch's deal ends in 2021 - so that's good too
          - Trey Lyles has a partially guaranteed deal with the Spurs. So could become a free agent
          - Dwight Powell had a contract extension with the Mavs.. so no worries there.
          - Tristan is a free agent. I'd be surprised if he plays considering he's a Klutch client.
          - Wiggins - lol.. the guy won't show up.
          - Barrett, SGA, NAW, Clarke are all on rookie deals. They should have no excuses.

          Let's hope the tourney will be closer to home. If it ends up being in a country like China or something, than forget it - nobody will show up again.
          it's a qualifying tournament for the americas region is it not?

          Comment


          • chris wrote: View Post

            it's a qualifying tournament for the americas region is it not?
            I'm not sure.. I doubt it. There are way more European countries than African or Oceanic that play basketball.. so I don't think it will be per region. But who knows?

            Comment


            • International basketball superpower nations Nigeria & Iran qualified for the Olympics today. smh.

              Comment


              • planetmars wrote: View Post

                I'm not sure.. I doubt it. There are way more European countries than African or Oceanic that play basketball.. so I don't think it will be per region. But who knows?
                Yeah, it's definitely four general tournaments, not regional... not sure if it'll be seeded by WC performance or FIBA current ranking.

                Comment


                • Canada up by 11 in the 3rd quarter but lose 82-76 … I love Cory for showing up but we really need Murray … We qualified for the Olympic qualifying and that is the important thing .. 6 - 39 from 3 … Live by the 3 and I guess die by the 3 .. IF your offense is going to shoot that many 3's you might need Tristian Thompson or a large body like that ..
                  Last edited by guyroch; Mon Sep 9th, 2019, 11:08 AM.

                  Comment


                  • planetmars wrote: View Post

                    Let's hope the tourney will be closer to home. If it ends up being in a country like China or something, than forget it - nobody will show up again.
                    Not holding my breath. They need to get Murray, Wiggins, Barrett and a few other younger guys in a room as soon as possible and ask them what it will take to get them out and engage them in recruiting other players. Until the players themselves take ownership of the senior men's team, nothing is going to change. Look, if Nash couldn't get guys out then Barrett isn't going to be able to either. A new approach is required.

                    Comment


                    • slaw wrote: View Post

                      Not holding my breath. They need to get Murray, Wiggins, Barrett and a few other younger guys in a room as soon as possible and ask them what it will take to get them out and engage them in recruiting other players. Until the players themselves take ownership of the senior men's team, nothing is going to change. Look, if Nash couldn't get guys out then Barrett isn't going to be able to either. A new approach is required.
                      It could be a great gesture if MLSE and Drake to open their wallets to get this tournament ..

                      Comment


                      • slaw wrote: View Post

                        Not holding my breath. They need to get Murray, Wiggins, Barrett and a few other younger guys in a room as soon as possible and ask them what it will take to get them out and engage them in recruiting other players. Until the players themselves take ownership of the senior men's team, nothing is going to change. Look, if Nash couldn't get guys out then Barrett isn't going to be able to either. A new approach is required.
                        Yep. Players recruit other players these days, but you also need to get the agents on board - because they are often against it.

                        As for Nash.... other than his own individual talent, he seems like a bit of flake, tbh. He was a bad pick for an executive leadership position requiring boardroom acumen, league-wide contacts and administrative skills. Team USA has the right idea with a Jerry Colangelo mover/shaker type. Basketball Canada needs to find a guy like that. Hey.... what about Bryan Colangelo? lol.

                        Comment


                        • So Germany won.. I have a feeling Canada is going to be in another group of death for the qualifying tourney.

                          Comment


                          • planetmars wrote: View Post
                            So Germany won.. I have a feeling Canada is going to be in another group of death for the qualifying tourney.
                            When only the 1st place team gets to qualify .. Every Draw will be the group of death .

                            Comment


                            • Sounds like Rowan Barrett is part of the problem.

                              Comment


                              • guyroch wrote: View Post

                                When only the 1st place team gets to qualify .. Every Draw will be the group of death .
                                Yeah but some teams are far harder than others.. like Lithuania or France. The 16 teams have been selected for the qualifying round now. There will be another 2 per region as well.

                                This page got updated:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_M en%27s_qualification



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X