Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'd really love nothing more than for RJ to take the reigns at this stage, hit social media and say "You know what, go fuck yourself, Doug. My Dad's had less than a year on the job. I'm gonna be there next year and the Barrett's are gonna make sure people show up and that we get the job done."

    Doug is clearly so biased here. Sick of this guy.

    Comment


    • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
      I'd really love nothing more than for RJ to take the reigns at this stage, hit social media and say "You know what, go fuck yourself, Doug. My Dad's had less than a year on the job. I'm gonna be there next year and the Barrett's are gonna make sure people show up and that we get the job done."

      Doug is clearly so biased here. Sick of this guy.
      There has to be more to this 'Doug Smith vs. Rowan Barrett' feud than meets the eye. Here's what Doug had to say about Barrett in April, merely 3 months after he got the job.

      So it pains me a bit to say this but I think it has to be said:

      In the process to select a new head coach for the senior men’s team – a process that is well under way – there is no way in the world that Canada Basketball should leave the decision to Rowan Barrett.
      Canada Basketball's coach search process is flawed
      https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...wed/ar-BBVu3ie

      I mean, how stupid does that expert opinion from a Doug look right about now? Yeah, it's clear that Smith was biased against Barrett from the get-go, for reasons only he knows.

      Perhaps a Freudian slip here...

      This has nothing to do with Jay (Triano), by the way. I’ve had this discussion privately with people for weeks and I don’t think I’m entirely alone on this.

      Comment


      • Here’s an article from Doug when Triano stepped down.
        Doug and Triano are lifelong friends.


        https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...quiet-end.html

        I would suggest it’s impacting his work and he’s going after Barrett as a result.
        Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Tue Sep 10, 2019, 06:23 AM.

        Comment


        • Seems over the top to be calling for Barrett's head this early on; seems like 1 year too early (assuming Canada fails to qualify). But at the same time, this tournament has been a complete disaster, especially considering where expectations where before the tournament and everyone dropping out. Barrett might not but be responsible for Canada fielding our 3rd stringers but at some point heads will roll.

          Comment


          • https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...g-nonetheless/

            Some snip pits of this article

            Would the likes of Murray or Powell have been available if the commitment was shorter? Or if they could have done what Joseph did and skipped the trip to Australia and met the team in China? George didn’t say specifically, but reading between the lines the impression I got was going forward the question for Canada may be: What do they value more? Continuity and preparation? Or talent? It may be difficult to get both.


            o, who out of this group of 12 players may have earned their spot on an Olympic team next summer, or at least at the chance of qualifying?

            I would have to say Kyle Wiltjer, the lanky sharp-shooter who led Canada in scoring at the World Cup is a must-have — his offensive versatility fits in any lineup. Orlando Magic big man Birch led the tournament in overall efficiency — Canada’s best rebounder and shot-blocker, he looked much more comfortable offensively than his reputation would have suggested, and has been totally committed to the process in word and deed.

            He’s a lock and is likely ahead of, say, Thompson on the depth chart.

            Kevin Pangos proved his pure point-guard skills might be the best Canada has, even if he’s been in Europe for his career and — importantly — he and Joseph found some rhythm together. Nurse praised him routinely. Versatile big man Melvin Ejim started all five games and Nurse found lots of opportunities for European veteran Phil Scrubb. He also gave a lot of responsibility to 19-year-old Florida sophomore guard Andrew Nembhard. And you figure Olynyk would get a nod given he was in for the World Cup before he was hurt.

            That’s seven or eight names right there, leaving just four or five spots available for next summer.

            Let the competition for them begin and Canada’s never-ending Olympic quest start its next chapter.


            Comment


            • Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
              Here’s an article from Doug when Triano stepped down.
              Doug and Triano are lifelong friends.


              https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...quiet-end.html

              I would suggest it’s impacting his work and he’s going after Barrett as a result.
              Ok, that explains a lot. Highly unprofessional and out of character. Chill man. How Nash gets off unscathed by everybody else is beyond me. Even Grange is like: "well, everybody knew that Nash was a ghost GM so that's even more reason to blame the assistant, Barrett." That would have been like firing Nick Nurse and Casey at the same time. Holy hell... these guys can twist a narrative when they have an agenda.



              Comment


              • To blame Barret is down right wrong … The U.S had Steve Kerr , Pops and Colengelo and players said no … Heck DeRozan said no and Pops is his coach …

                Comment


                • Argentina just beat Serbia by 10 …

                  Comment


                  • I wasn't aware of the other Doug Smith stuff on Barrett - just noted it because it seemed so out of character for Smith to call for firing someone. Has he ever called for any Raps coach or GM to be fired? If so, I can't recall it.

                    I agree that Barrett should be given some time. Look, Basketball Canada is probably in the best shape it has ever been in with the junior teams and the women's program. The only issue is the senior men's team and that, as we've all noted, is going to depend on the players to fix more than anything.

                    As for Nash, the biggest mistake he made was going with Triano cause he was his buddy. Jay is a great guy and he's a very good assistant coach but he was the wrong guy at the wrong time and it really hurt the program. That also highlighted one of the biggest problem they've had with senior men's Canadian BB for decades: it's way too political. With Nurse coming on board, there is a real chance to turn that around. Let's hope that happens.

                    Comment


                    • slaw wrote: View Post
                      I wasn't aware of the other Doug Smith stuff on Barrett - just noted it because it seemed so out of character for Smith to call for firing someone. Has he ever called for any Raps coach or GM to be fired? If so, I can't recall it.

                      I agree that Barrett should be given some time. Look, Basketball Canada is probably in the best shape it has ever been in with the junior teams and the women's program. The only issue is the senior men's team and that, as we've all noted, is going to depend on the players to fix more than anything.

                      As for Nash, the biggest mistake he made was going with Triano cause he was his buddy. Jay is a great guy and he's a very good assistant coach but he was the wrong guy at the wrong time and it really hurt the program. That also highlighted one of the biggest problem they've had with senior men's Canadian BB for decades: it's way too political. With Nurse coming on board, there is a real chance to turn that around. Let's hope that happens.
                      Nash's biggest mistake was allowing himself to be a figurehead or "ghost GM" as Grange called him. If your leader isn't all-in, then what signal does that send to the NBA players you're trying to recruit. I mean, I'm sure a lot of it is behind the scenes, but how much effort did Nash actually put into recruiting NBA guys while he was the top guy?

                      And then there's Wayne Parrish & Michelle O'Keefe.




                      Exactly.


                      [Hint: (a) current Chair of Basketball Canada & (b) former CEO of Basketball Canada during the critical period 2015-18]

                      I mean, if Michelle O'Keefe was supposed to be our Jerry Colangelo NBA mover/shaker..... then the problem is hella lot bigger than Rowan Barrett. She looks like a career administrator / bureaucrat to me. And Parrish is a just an overachieving media weenie.

                      Why aren't Smith & Grange going in on those 2, as well as Nash? Barrett seems like the easy target / fall guy.

                      Comment


                      • Nash is so overrated as this great Canadian basketball vet, especially as a player. He played in one frikkin tournament, well before he was prime Steve nash. And he was lazy with recruitment in his time as gm.

                        nick nurse should just take over recruitment too. He seems like a workaholic anyway.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Nash is so overrated as this great Canadian basketball vet, especially as a player. He played in one frikkin tournament, well before he was prime Steve nash. And he was lazy with recruitment in his time as gm.

                          nick nurse should just take over recruitment too. He seems like a workaholic anyway.
                          Drake should be helping out too.


                          Comment


                          • golden wrote: View Post

                            And then there's Wayne Parrish & Michelle O'Keefe.
                            When I spoke about the program being too political, these are the type of people I am referring to as the problem, though, O'Keefe at least did a lot of work on the infrastructure side for the national programs that was really good. Parrish is a parasite. Typically useless Canadian management-type propped up by his connections, collecting money for nothing.

                            Comment


                            • slaw wrote: View Post

                              Typically useless Canadian management-type propped up by his connections, collecting money for nothing.
                              I need to update my resume, been looking for a job like that.

                              Comment


                              • Hotshot wrote: View Post

                                I need to update my resume, been looking for a job like that.
                                It's like getting an acting gig in Canada. Once you get on one show, you have a job for life playing some role in every two-bit CanCon mandated piece of crap that comes down the pipe.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X