No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love to make the Quarterfinals.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Ryan Wolstat: ie. Don’t expect to see Tristan Thompson or Cory Joseph with Canada this summer, unless extensions done far sooner than anyone expects. They do expect Andrew Wiggins to play, Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, Anthony Bennett, Olynyk, Nicholson, etc. Twitter @WolstatSun - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.GZb2OMZU.dpuf

We will still have a nice young group for the summer, but Joseph and Thompson will be big losses.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Jay Triano as Head Coach will be our downfall and since him and Nash are buddies then nothing will change .. We had some great success with Malone as one of the asssistants and hoping he would rejoin the program since he lost his NBA head coaching gig ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
          Jay Triano as Head Coach will be our downfall and since him and Nash are buddies then nothing will change .. We had some great success with Malone as one of the asssistants and hoping he would rejoin the program since he lost his NBA head coaching gig ..
          This is a bit premature. Let's give Triano a chance to coach a Canadian squad with talent before we say he's our downfall. He did a good job with the team when Nash played. International game is far different than the NBA game.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
            Ryan Wolstat: ie. Don’t expect to see Tristan Thompson or Cory Joseph with Canada this summer, unless extensions done far sooner than anyone expects. They do expect Andrew Wiggins to play, Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, Anthony Bennett, Olynyk, Nicholson, etc. Twitter @WolstatSun - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.GZb2OMZU.dpuf

We will still have a nice young group for the summer, but Joseph and Thompson will be big losses.
            Not having Joseph is a huge loss. He was our best player last time, and is our only PG with legit international experience. Thompson I'm not as worried about, we have a glut of big men, and guys like Olynyk are better suited for the international game since they have range.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              Ryan Wolstat: ie. Don’t expect to see Tristan Thompson or Cory Joseph with Canada this summer, unless extensions done far sooner than anyone expects. They do expect Andrew Wiggins to play, Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, Anthony Bennett, Olynyk, Nicholson, etc. Twitter @WolstatSun - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.GZb2OMZU.dpuf

Would this happen if it was an olympic year, or just qualifying stages? Because I can't recall michael jordan or any of the us stars sitting out because of contract negotiations..
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Would this happen if it was an olympic year, or just qualifying stages? Because I can't recall michael jordan or any of the us stars sitting out because of contract negotiations..
                Did any of them even face that issue?

It's pretty common now for young guys to bypass participating in such summers. Usually the rookie summer before they start their careers, and the first free agency summer they get.

And not really fair to compare to Jordan, who never would have to worry about contract negotiations in a million years. These guys aren't Jordans and LeBrons. They need to make sure their future is secure.

Comment

• Joseph will be a huge loss.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how these issues affect other teams...
                    Barea is a UFA this summer, and he's a huge part of Puerto Rico's team. For Argentina, Scola's a UFA, as is Ginobili. Do those guys risk their NBA careers at their age? Or maybe they go all in to try and get one more shot in the Olympics close to home?
                    I think many of the Brazilian NBA players will sit out as they already have an Olympic berth and don't need to win anything this summer.

We've got enough talent that even the loss of Joseph (which, I agree, is huge) shouldn't be an excuse for not finishing top 2 this tournament. The place it probably makes the biggest impact is on defense, as I think on offense you can rely on just getting the ball into the hands of your bigs, who should be able to dominate most of the teams they play. But we could really struggle against teams that get hot in 3-point shooting (and in tournaments like this, everyone has a couple of those streaky shooters on their team). It's possible that Wiggins is already our top perimeter defender. If Joseph is indeed out, in probably needs to be a mix of Anderson, Ennis, and Pangos at PG.

Comment

• Barea and Scola will play barring injury, I would think. Ginobili's status is uncertain. Canada's team will not have much experience playing together. It's a positive that the timing of the Pan Am Games is such that it provides a solid warm up to the more significant task of Olympic qualification at FIBA Americas in Mexico.

Comment

• Literally lost ALL respect for Whiteside due to this play.

Thank goodness KO was able to get up from that.

Comment

• I'm rather nostalgic about "Bad Boy" basketball.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                            I'm rather nostalgic about "Bad Boy" basketball.

Totally agree, but that shot from Whiteside was no Bad Boys hit though. That was a bitch move, sucker shot to the back of the head. No place for that.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              Totally agree, but that shot from Whiteside was no Bad Boys hit though. That was a bitch move, sucker shot to the back of the head. No place for that.
                              That video "Defining the Bad Boys" has a number of sucker hits by the Pistons and some by the Celtics also.

Comment

• It's a little different when the you are playing the game and expect hits like that, those late 80s teams were built to play that style of ball. In today's NBA there is zero tolerance for that style of play and players do not expect to get jacked up like that.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X