Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Puffer wrote: View Post
    If every Canadian player gave what Nash did to the program, Canada would have a higher international profile, and possibly a better program (more success in the 90's and early to mid 2000's could have lead to more interest from youngsters) than it does now. And Nash is continuing to give to the program, only in a different capacity, when he could be simply focusing on his own business. You can't diss Nash for his contributions.
    Nash played with a bunch of nobodies. Canada had very little basketball talent back then, so I'm more than happy with his contribution. It's just a shame that Nash is too old now to play with all of our young studs.

    Comment


    • Other than Nash, it feels like a lot of our NBA players have only really cared about playing for the national team when it furthers their own NBA career (ie. giving them a chance to showcase their talents). It sounds like there's been a bit of a culture shift with the young guys now, where they talk about playing for the national team out of pride, where there's great camaraderie between them. There will always be a little bit of players evaluating national commitments in light of their NBA careers, but a bit of success for the program and things will really start to snowball.

      Comment


      • octothorp wrote: View Post
        Other than Nash, it feels like a lot of our NBA players have only really cared about playing for the national team when it furthers their own NBA career (ie. giving them a chance to showcase their talents). It sounds like there's been a bit of a culture shift with the young guys now, where they talk about playing for the national team out of pride, where there's great camaraderie between them. There will always be a little bit of players evaluating national commitments in light of their NBA careers, but a bit of success for the program and things will really start to snowball.
        I mean, outside of Nash, what other Canadian NBA players have their been in the last 20 years? Jamal Magloire, Joel Anthony, and Dalembert, anyone else? Canada's NBA basketball talent was basically non-existant until Tristan Thompson got drafted, that's when things started rolling. Basically, kids born slightly before the Raptors debuted in the league were the first gen of this new NBA talent.
        Last edited by Primer; Wed Mar 25th, 2015, 10:05 PM.

        Comment


        • Jamal Murray is going to be a star. Remember that name.
          Mamba Mentality

          Comment


          • guyroch wrote: View Post
            Steve Nash announced his retirement ... Do you hold it against him that he said no to Canada on a number occasions or are you like me he played for Canada until he was 30 ( that is a twelve year span ) ..
            Hey nobody gives heck to Rick Fox for not playing much for us either do they? It was disheartening that Nash said no to Canada repeatedly afterwards but he did all he could for us in 2000. Plus he was already at an advanced age at the time...
            Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

            Comment


            • Jamaal Magloire is the poster boy for saying no to Canada

              Comment


              • guyroch wrote: View Post
                Jamaal Magloire is the poster boy for saying no to Canada
                And here's his reason why....... racism. Paul Jones backs him up, too.

                http://metronews.ca/news/142934/magl...racism-claims/

                Comment


                • Primer wrote: View Post
                  I mean, outside of Nash, what other Canadian NBA players have their been in the last 20 years? Jamal Magloire, Joel Anthony, and Dalembert, anyone else? Canada's NBA basketball talent was basically non-existant until Tristan Thompson got drafted, that's when things started rolling. Basically, kids born slightly before the Raptors debuted in the league were the first gen of this new NBA talent.
                  Todd MacCullough played with the 76ers and the Nets and the national team.

                  Comment


                  • stretch wrote: View Post
                    Todd MacCullough played with the 76ers and the Nets and the national team.
                    It is a shame his career was cut short ... Another name is " PHIL DIXON " who was Andrew Wiggins of the late 80's but his career cut short cause of a horrific leg injury ...

                    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ER.html?pg=all
                    Last edited by guyroch; Fri Mar 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM.

                    Comment


                    • The Sacramento Kings will sign Sim Bhullar to a 10-day contract.

                      Bhullar will become the first player of Indian descent in league history.

                      Bhullar has spent the entire season with the Reno Bighorns, Sacramento's affiliate in the NBA Development League, after going to training camp with the Kings.



                      Bhullar is a 7-foot-5 center out of New Mexico State

                      Comment


                      • guyroch wrote: View Post
                        The Sacramento Kings will sign Sim Bhullar to a 10-day contract.

                        Bhullar will become the first player of Indian descent in league history.

                        Bhullar has spent the entire season with the Reno Bighorns, Sacramento's affiliate in the NBA Development League, after going to training camp with the Kings.



                        Bhullar is a 7-foot-5 center out of New Mexico State
                        Some more info on Bhullar.

                        Conditioning has been a question mark in terms of Bhullar establishing a legitimate NBA future. But he has a major supporter in Kings owner Vivek Ranadive -- one of India's most celebrated businessmen -- and Bhullar has shed more than 30 pounds over the course of his rookie campaign after weighing in at more than 400 pounds during summer league play with Sacramento last July.

                        Bhullar is averaging 10.3 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.9 blocks in the D-League this season and, as evidence of his improving conditioning, logged 38 minutes Tuesday night in a Reno victory over Bakersfield, totaling 19 points, 15 boards and five blocks.

                        Comment


                        • Primer wrote: View Post
                          Some more info on Bhullar.

                          Conditioning has been a question mark in terms of Bhullar establishing a legitimate NBA future. But he has a major supporter in Kings owner Vivek Ranadive -- one of India's most celebrated businessmen -- and Bhullar has shed more than 30 pounds over the course of his rookie campaign after weighing in at more than 400 pounds during summer league play with Sacramento last July.

                          Bhullar is averaging 10.3 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.9 blocks in the D-League this season and, as evidence of his improving conditioning, logged 38 minutes Tuesday night in a Reno victory over Bakersfield, totaling 19 points, 15 boards and five blocks.
                          Great for Bhullar. Kudos to any player who puts in the work. While I doubt he will ever be great, if he can get and stay in NBA condition...7-foot-5-inches at 370 pounds...can't teach that.

                          Comment


                          • golden wrote: View Post
                            And here's his reason why....... racism. Paul Jones backs him up, too.

                            http://metronews.ca/news/142934/magl...racism-claims/
                            Not entirely accurate. “Back in the late-’70s into the mid-’80s, when guys like Simeon and myself, guys who felt we should have had a chance didn’t get a chance, we felt (Team Canada) was a closed shop,” Jones is quoted as telling Goldstein. “I don’t know if that’s reality, but from the perspective of the Toronto kids, we felt it was a closed shop.”

                            Magloire was drafted in 2000, 15 years after the discrimination that Jones suspects he was a victim of. And he spent the first decade of the 2000's paying Canada back for something that happened two decades previous? Sounds pretty thin as a reason.

                            Were the same people in charge when he was around? If not, what was the point of punishing the new people, who presumably were not racist? By not playing he may also have influenced numerous young black players who then missed getting exposure on the international stage, and perhaps missed opportunities to play in Europe.

                            Nothing says anybody has to put in the time and effort to represent their country in international competition. Absolutely his choice. And I haven't lived his life. So whatever. But it sounds thin.

                            Comment


                            • Great for Bhullar! I've been rooting for him since he was in high school, but I really didn't think we'd ever see him actually get on an NBA court, let-alone this early. I know that NMSU really struggled with finding his ideal playing weight, conditioning program, etc, so hopefully the involvement of an NBA fitness program has paid big dividends.

                              Comment


                              • octothorp wrote: View Post
                                Great for Bhullar! I've been rooting for him since he was in high school, but I really didn't think we'd ever see him actually get on an NBA court, let-alone this early. I know that NMSU really struggled with finding his ideal playing weight, conditioning program, etc, so hopefully the involvement of an NBA fitness program has paid big dividends.
                                I'm intrigued by him. As long as you're not running a fast break offense, it seems like he could provide some nice rebounding, shot blocking, put backs, and dunks. I'll definitely tune into some Kings games down the stretch to see how he looks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X