No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think everything begins and ends with defensive mobility and conditioning. I think he's at best he's probably got a 2-3 year career as the 15th body/towel waver, but Kudos regardless!

Hopefully he can play some games for team Canada. He seems like he could be very useful against big bodies.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      I think everything begins and ends with defensive mobility and conditioning. I think he's at best he's probably got a 2-3 year career as the 15th body/towel waver, but Kudos regardless!

Hopefully he can play some games for team Canada. He seems like he could be very useful against big bodies.
      Well, if Hibbert could carve out a career and even get a max deal, I think there is hope for Bhullar. Hibbert can barely play over 20 minutes per game and has next to no mobility.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Not entirely accurate. “Back in the late-’70s into the mid-’80s, when guys like Simeon and myself, guys who felt we should have had a chance didn’t get a chance, we felt (Team Canada) was a closed shop,” Jones is quoted as telling Goldstein. “I don’t know if that’s reality, but from the perspective of the Toronto kids, we felt it was a closed shop.”

Magloire was drafted in 2000, 15 years after the discrimination that Jones suspects he was a victim of. And he spent the first decade of the 2000's paying Canada back for something that happened two decades previous? Sounds pretty thin as a reason.

Were the same people in charge when he was around? If not, what was the point of punishing the new people, who presumably were not racist? By not playing he may also have influenced numerous young black players who then missed getting exposure on the international stage, and perhaps missed opportunities to play in Europe.

Nothing says anybody has to put in the time and effort to represent their country in international competition. Absolutely his choice. And I haven't lived his life. So whatever. But it sounds thin.
        Not necessarily the same people were in charge but, a lot of the guys who felt slighted by Basketball Canada became the mentors and coaches of the next generation. From my understanding there was a thought that, "You guys did my mentors badly, why should I trust you not to do the same to me?" It wasn't until Nash and a couple other guys joined the executive that wariness with Canada Basketball went away.

A lot of the guys who never played for Canada -- Magloire, etc, Have been involved in Basketball Canada camps, apparently, since the revamp of Canada Basketball.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Not necessarily the same people were in charge but, a lot of the guys who felt slighted by Basketball Canada became the mentors and coaches of the next generation. From my understanding there was a thought that, "You guys did my mentors badly, why should I trust you not to do the same to me?" It wasn't until Nash and a couple other guys joined the executive that wariness with Canada Basketball went away.

A lot of the guys who never played for Canada -- Magloire, etc, Have been involved in Basketball Canada camps, apparently, since the revamp of Canada Basketball.
          Let's just pretend Canada Basketball started when Nash took over.

Even if Magloire had played, we still would have sucked.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Let's just pretend Canada Basketball started when Nash took over.

Even if Magloire had played, we still would have sucked.
            Nash makes everyone around him better ... 2000 Olympics in a group that had Spain , Russia , Serbia , Austrailia ( home team ) he lead a medicore Roster to a 5-1 record and the one loss to Russia they won in the rematch ... Austrailia the team that played in the Bronze medal game lost to Canada in those Olympics ..

Comment

• The Nash era of Canada basketball is the era in which the team actually qualified for Olympics and World Championship.

Comment

• Canada is in Group B at the FIBA Americas tournament, trying to qualify for the Rio Olympics.

http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...a-in-2015-fiba

The preliminary rounds are set for the 2015 FIBA Americas Men’s Championship, which takes place in Monterrey, Mexico from August 25-September 6.

The official draw ceremony took place this afternoon at city hall. Officials from the FIBA Americas were onsite to make the selections: Argentina, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Canada will compete in Group B, with Mexico, Panama, Dominican Republic, Brazil, and Uruguay in Group A.
                The competition looks to be much tougher in group B with Canada, Argentina, Puerto Rico and Venezuela (Vasquez is clutch in FIBA ball). Since FIBA Americas began in 1980 (then called Tournament of the Americas) Canada has finished second twice and third three times but has not medaled since 2001. The top two teams qualify for Rio.

I doubt that many of Brazil's top NBA players will participate because of the automatic bid situation, but it would be nice to see Bruno and Bebe play in this tournament. Karl Towns has been playing for the Dominican Republic for the last two summers so I expect he will play and have a bigger role this tournament.

Comment

• More on the Canadian team:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...fiba-americas/

What remains unclear is what Canada’s team will look like.

"We still have a lot of work to do as far as figuring out who’s going to be available and what the time commitments with their NBA teams or European teams are going to be, how flexible those teams are going to be in letting us use those players for this event," Canada’s coach Jay Triano said on a conference call. "And for the Pan American Games for that matter."

Canada was drawn Wednesday in Group B with Argentina, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Cuba for the FIBA Americas Olympic qualifying tournament, Aug. 25 to Sept. 6 in Monterrey, Mexico.

Triano said he has about 30 players in the national team mix, and could see a variety of players spread between the Pan American Games, July 10-26 in Toronto, and the FIBA Americas tournament,

The Pan Am Games conflict with the NBA summer league, and young players such as Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis could be required to play there rather than Toronto.

Comment

• Even at his age Steve Nash could suite up for Team Canada and give us our best shot ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                      Even at his age Steve Nash could suite up for Team Canada and give us our best shot ..
                      Nash would do alright.

I am really disappointed if Wiggins, Olynyk, and the others can't play because of summer league...... Wiggins is almost to advanced skill wise for summer league his development would benefit more from playing in the Pan Am games as would the other Canadians for the most part. Thats just my opinion. If we were handling him thats what I would do. I will be in Toronto in summer and I was looking forward to seeing the kid play.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                        Nash would do alright.

I am really disappointed if Wiggins, Olynyk, and the others can't play because of summer league...... Wiggins is almost to advanced skill wise for summer league his development would benefit more from playing in the Pan Am games as would the other Canadians for the most part. Thats just my opinion. If we were handling him thats what I would do. I will be in Toronto in summer and I was looking forward to seeing the kid play.
                        Wiggins is obligated under his NBA contract to play in the NBA Summer League ( also Ennis and Trey Lyles if he declares) at roughly the same time as the Pan Am games. Olynyk has had more ankle problems this season so it is a possibility that he will opt to rest. Joseph and Thompson are restricted free agents so I would classify them as doubtful participants.

There will likely be roster changes after the Pan Am games to get ready for FIBA Americas due to scheduling and contract conflicts. There is an abundance of Canadian talent but the biggest problem for Basketball Canada is establishing some continuity in the national mens program so that there are a core group of players from one year to the next instead of a makeshift pick up type roster at each tournament.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                          Wiggins is obligated under his NBA contract to play in the NBA Summer League ( also Ennis and Trey Lyles if he declares) at roughly the same time as the Pan Am games. Olynyk has had more ankle problems this season so it is a possibility that he will opt to rest. Joseph and Thompson are restricted free agents so I would classify them as doubtful participants.

There will likely be roster changes after the Pan Am games to get ready for FIBA Americas due to scheduling and contract conflicts. There is an abundance of Canadian talent but the biggest problem for Basketball Canada is establishing some continuity in the national mens program so that there are a core group of players from one year to the next instead of a makeshift pick up type roster at each tournament.
                          I thought that some players don't play summer league two years in a row if their club doesn't want them to. I don't think he has THAT much to gain from an experience stand point going in. The rest make sense. Like you said though we need to start getting reps in with a main squad. I hope that the squad includes Wiggins..... Olynyk makes sense to rest becauseo f his season. I would like to see them play though. I honestly think that Joseph will play because he played a big part of the squad in the last tourney they were in. If they are going to have an honest chance of making a splash and making it into the Olympics they gotta have Wiggins play in my opinion.

Comment

I don't think that's necessarily true.
                            Not to mention I'm sure the Wolves could see value in allowing him to play in real competition as opposed to Summer League. Considering he did it last year, and is having a great year, I don't see them forcing him to do it.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              I don't think that's necessarily true.
                              Not to mention I'm sure the Wolves could see value in allowing him to play in real competition as opposed to Summer League. Considering he did it last year, and is having a great year, I don't see them forcing him to do it.
                              Canadian press article quoted in post #548:

The Pan Am Games conflict with the NBA summer league, and young players such as Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis could be required to play there rather than Toronto.

"At the end of the (NBA) season, we’ll reach out to the NBA teams and find out whether they want their players to play in the summer league or if they can afford to miss part of the summer league or miss it completely," Triano said.
                              David Thorpe of ESPN thinks Wiggins should take the summer off because Wiggins is leading the NBA in minutes played this season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...the-summer-off

Comment

Canadian press article quoted in post #548:

David Thorpe of ESPN thinks Wiggins should take the summer off because Wiggins is leading the NBA in minutes played this season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...the-summer-off
                                Right. So there's nothing in their contract saying "They Will Play in Summer League 2015". Its up the team to decide.
                                And I could see where the Wolves would see value in allowing him to play at Pan Am.
                                Because Summer League or not, teams can and have asked players not to participate in International Competition.

As for David Thorpe, I think that's silly. The guy is 20 years old. If he can play and wants to play, I can't see him saying "well I did play a lot of minutes".

Comment

Working...
                                X