Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    Canada moves up 3 spots to 18th in the World !! Just 1.1 point out of 17th ...

FIBA World Ranking Presented by NIKE, men - FIBA.basketball

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

You're underselling this. Nurse also has basically said if you aren't interested in next summer and world cup then check back in 2025. If they stick to that, it could pay big dividends. Qualifying for the Olympics at the world cup would solve a lot of Canada's issues.
      As it should be. If we end up with lesser talent it will be offset by the familiarity with the program/team/coach/offense/defense.

Hopefully the big guns commit (Murray and SGA) and I think we'll qualify at the World Cup. Luckily it seems like the Americas teams are all on a downswing except USA and Canada. Argentina isn't the powerhouse it used to be.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

As it should be. If we end up with lesser talent it will be offset by the familiarity with the program/team/coach/offense/defense.

Hopefully the big guns commit (Murray and SGA) and I think we'll qualify at the World Cup. Luckily it seems like the Americas teams are all on a downswing except USA and Canada. Argentina isn't the powerhouse it used to be.
        Some talent infusion would definitely help.. but we need to get bigger too. Hopefully for the Worlds we get Birch and Boucher. Maybe even Edey who was our best player in the U19 games.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Some talent infusion would definitely help.. but we need to get bigger too. Hopefully for the Worlds we get Birch and Boucher. Maybe even Edey who was our best player in the U19 games.
          Tristan Thompson is the big we actually need, but Birch would be nice also. Boucher isn't a C and would do nothing to stop the 260+ goliaths we face in international ball. I'd still like him on the squad but more for his offense and long arms getting into passing lanes. If a 7' big posts him up he's not gonna be able to offer much resistance.

Edey definitely seems worth a flyer, but not sure he'll be ready for next year.

Comment

Tristan Thompson is the big we actually need, but Birch would be nice also. Boucher isn't a C and would do nothing to stop the 260+ goliaths we face in international ball. I'd still like him on the squad but more for his offense and long arms getting into passing lanes. If a 7' big posts him up he's not gonna be able to offer much resistance.

Edey definitely seems worth a flyer, but not sure he'll be ready for next year.
            Whatever happened to this guy? Did he eat himself into oblivion?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Whatever happened to this guy? Did he eat himself into oblivion?

According to his wiki page still playing basketball in Taiwan so still living the good life.

Comment

• Canada is in a bracket with " DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ", " US VIRGIN ISLANDS ", " BAHAMAS "

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers 2023 - FIBA.basketball

1st Window: November 22 - 30, 2021
                2nd Window: February 21 - March 1, 2022
                3rd Window: June 27 - July 5, 2022
                4th Window: August 22 - 30, 2022
                5th Window: November 7 - 15, 2022
                6th Window: February 20 - 28, 2023

Ahhh remember the good old says when it took one tournament over a two week span to determine who qualifies .

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                  Canada is in a bracket with " DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ", " US VIRGIN ISLANDS ", " BAHAMAS "

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 Americas Qualifiers 2023 - FIBA.basketball

1st Window: November 22 - 30, 2021
                  2nd Window: February 21 - March 1, 2022
                  3rd Window: June 27 - July 5, 2022
                  4th Window: August 22 - 30, 2022
                  5th Window: November 7 - 15, 2022
                  6th Window: February 20 - 28, 2023

Ahhh remember the good old says when it took one tournament over a two week span to determine who qualifies .
                  On the bright side, gives the guys plenty of time to practice and play together.

But yeah that is a total mess.

Comment

On the bright side, gives the guys plenty of time to practice and play together.

But yeah that is a total mess.
                    yeah but on the not-bright side, four of those windows are during the NBA season so the teams are likely to cobbled together with players from whatever leagues are in their offseason's at that time, and coached by randoms.

not sure there'll be a lot of team building

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

yeah but on the not-bright side, four of those windows are during the NBA season so the teams are likely to cobbled together with players from whatever leagues are in their offseason's at that time, and coached by randoms.

I have no idea what FIBA's business model is, but its the most effective way to make fans not pay attention or give a single shit. No one wants to watch "national" teams without any of the nations good players on them.

I guess we'll be seeing the Scrubb brothers back in action.

Comment

I have no idea what FIBA's business model is, but its the most effective way to make fans not pay attention or give a single shit. No one wants to watch "national" teams without any of the nations good players on them.

I guess we'll be seeing the Scrubb brothers back in action.
                        Booting those Scrubbs off our team didn't get us any further than before.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

With Covid you think you would go back to the old system for awhile .. You have these guys traveling to destination which may not have Covid under control .

Comment

• I am a Canadian and imhfo when Canada starts putting money into high school and college sports,especially basketball….non of the games are televised!!!! . I will care about the olympics…f*ck the Canadian team.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              I am a Canadian and imhfo when Canada starts putting money into high school and college sports,especially basketball….non of the games are televised!!!! . I will care about the olympics…f*ck the Canadian team.
                              Every decent Canadian basketball player goes to the USA to play ball. You'd be televising some horrendous basketball.

Comment

Every decent Canadian basketball player goes to the USA to play ball. You'd be televising some horrendous basketball.
                                Yeah, that's not true. Canadian college hoops is just as good entertainment value as US college. The level might be somewhat lower, but it's not "horrendous" by any stretch and is improving year by year. Carleton U, for example, has had years in the past where they could definitely have been included in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X