Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredder wrote: View Post

Is there a limit to how many coaches can go?

He is a guy that could be a great person to have on the bench, but there are better Canadian players to be on the floor.
    I found the 2022 FIBA rulebook here:
    https://www.mixtuura.fi/basketballrules2022/13/

Each team shall consist of:
    • No more than 12 team members entitled to play, including a captain.
    • A head coach.
    • A maximum of 8 accompanying delegation members, including assistant
    coaches who may sit on the team bench. In case a team has assistant coaches,
    the first assistant coach shall be entered on the scoresheet.

So max of 8 assistant coaches. We only had 2 assistant coaches in the world cup (Nate Bjorkgren and Nathaniel Mitchell) though.

So maybe they can take him as some kind of mascot on the bench. But Jordi likely doesn't want a lot of other voices (too many cooks in the kitchen) .

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Thank you for your service. But come on vet time to let new gen in
      He does have a point about service but I do recall in a previous Worlds Cup
      the story was weather he was going to show up and when he did he wasn't in shape .
      Saying that he has been the most loyal NBA/Canada basketball player to the program
      and something tells me something was tarnished in their relationship ..
      Last edited by guyroch; Mon Jun 17, 2024, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

He does have a point about service but I do recall in a previous Worlds Cup
        the story was weather he was going to show up and when he did he wasn't in shape .
        Saying that he has been the most loyal NBA/Canada basketball player to the program
        and something tells me something was tarnished in their relationship ..
        Yeah, I suppose they could've just invited him to training camp and then cut him. Not even getting a training camp invite is his valid beef, I guess.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, I suppose they could've just invited him to training camp and then cut him. Not even getting a training camp invite is his valid beef, I guess.
          I think the fact that he signed up as part of the 'core group' or whatever it was with a commitment to play each summer. So, I get it. I'd be pissed off, too.

At the same time, it's a different beast now and Canada basketball has to make the right decisions to try and win a medal. If the coaching staff had already decided he wasn't getting selected then they may have wanted others there for different reasons.

Comment

• He mentions he put FIBA over his NBA career at times, this frees him up to focus on staying in the NBA, because that is not a given for him at the moment.

We already have a ton of guards so we don't really need him at camp. I suspect that is the reason he wasn't invited. Probably using that spot for a younger guy to get their foot in the door with the program.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              He mentions he put FIBA over his NBA career at times, this frees him up to focus on staying in the NBA, because that is not a given for him at the moment.

We already have a ton of guards so we don't really need him at camp. I suspect that is the reason he wasn't invited. Probably using that spot for a younger guy to get their foot in the door with the program.
              I think he was cut last summer but they disguised it that he wanted to get ready for the Warrior season .. Although I am pretty sure he is
              better then Scrubb or TRAE BELL-HAYNES . Although If he choose getting ready to be the 3rd or 4th PG of the Warriors instead of
              helping Canada qualify then what does that say about him in the program .. It seems he was loyal at the begining but lately we had
              to beg him to play ..

He was downright horrible at the previous Worlds and that mini tournament in BC

Comment

I think he was cut last summer but they disguised it that he wanted to get ready for the Warrior season .. Although I am pretty sure he is
                better then Scrubb or TRAE BELL-HAYNES . Although If he choose getting ready to be the 3rd or 4th PG of the Warriors instead of
                helping Canada qualify then what does that say about him in the program .. It seems he was loyal at the begining but lately we had
                to beg him to play ..

He was downright horrible at the previous Worlds and that mini tournament in BC
                Yeah he wasn't making the team regardless.

Comment

• Canada Olympic men's basketball team training camp roster:

Kyle Alexander; Nickeil Alexander-Walker; RJ Barrett; Trae Bell-Haynes; Khem Birch; Oshae Brissett; Dillon Brooks; Luguentz Dort; Zach Edey; Melvin Ejim; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander; Mfiondu Kabengele; Trey Lyles; Jamal Murray; Andrew Nembhard; Kelly Olynyk; Dwight Powell; Phil Scrubb; Thomas Scrubb; Andrew Wiggins.

Canada Basketball announces men’s training camp roster ahead of Olympics (msn.com)
                  Last edited by guyroch; Wed Jun 19, 2024, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Canada Olympic men's basketball team training camp roster:

Kyle Alexander; Nickeil Alexander-Walker; RJ Barrett; Trae Bell-Haynes; Khem Birch; Oshae Brissett; Dillon Brooks; Luguentz Dort; Zach Edey; Melvin Ejim; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander; Mfiondu Kabengele; Trey Lyles; Jamal Murray; Andrew Nembhard; Kelly Olynyk; Dwight Powell; Phil Scrubb; Thomas Scrubb; Andrew Wiggins.

Canada Basketball announces men’s training camp roster ahead of Olympics (msn.com)
                    With Sharpe and Mathurin on the practice squad

Comment

• So I guess TT didn't get the invite or said no. That sucks. Good to see Edey there. As well as Lyles and Wiggins.

Comment

• This would be my final 12:

Nickeil Alexander-Walker; RJ Barrett; Dillon Brooks; Luguentz Dort; Zach Edey; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander; Trey Lyles; Jamal Murray; Andrew Nembhard; Kelly Olynyk; Dwight Powell; Andrew Wiggins.

With Birch being the toughest omission. But I think I'd rather have Lyles as he's at least one other 3pt threat.

Comment

• Here is my top 12 in order of priority.

1 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
                          2 Jamal Murray
                          3 RJ Barrett
                          4 Dillon Brooks
                          5 Luguentz Dort
                          6 Andrew Nembhard
                          7 Andrew Wiggins
                          8 Kelly Olynyk
                          9 Dwight Powell
                          10 Trey Lyles
                          11 Nickeil Alexander-Walker
                          12 Khem Birch

Maybe take Edey over Birch. Don't really see a case for anyone else to make the top 12.

Depth Chart

Murray, Nembhard
                          Shai, NAW
                          Barrett, Dort
                          Brooks, Wiggins, Lyles
                          Olynyk, Powell, Birch

Caveat on depth chart is most of these guys fit multiple positions and can slide around as such.

Comment

Canada Olympic men's basketball team training camp roster:

OK now I get why CoJo was so pissed. He absolutely should have gotten an invite over Trae Bell-Haynes. Dude is 28 and never played in the NBA. CoJo over him easily for a camp invite.

Comment

• Lyles is a nice addition, he knows how ro play without the ball in his hands and will knock down the FIBA 3 with ease. traditional size for a power forward and enough beef to play small ball 5. Still not the big man defender we need, but ups the talent level in the front court.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

OK now I get why CoJo was so pissed. He absolutely should have gotten an invite over Trae Bell-Haynes. Dude is 28 and never played in the NBA. CoJo over him easily for a camp invite.
                                You would think he would get an invite and if he doesn't make it they would disguise it as an injury .. Also he may not accept the role
                                of not getting any playing time if he was placed on the team ..

Comment

Working...
                                X