Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • octothorp wrote: View Post
    No, I'm talking about the changes after this Olympics, where FIBA Americas becomes irrelevant, and we must qualify for FIBA worlds through six qualifying tournaments, which may occur during the NBA season, and the only way to qualify for the Olympics is through FIBA worlds.
    We'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'm worried about the 2016 Olympics. Way too early for me to start fretting over the 2020 Olympics. Not to mention, by 2020 there will probably be 30 or 40 Canadian NBA players and we'll have a top 3 squad.

    Comment


    • Not sure if anyone caught this announcement. Canada basketball is beefing up the coaching staff with Spurs assistant Jim Boylen and Blazer's assistant David Vanterpool. Solid moves.

      http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...ce-to-coaching

      Comment


      • Employee wrote: View Post
        Has Lyles said he wants to play for Canada? I know he played for the States before. I guess now that I think about it, there's no way he makes any US team so Canada is the only choice.
        Pretty sure Lyles only played for the US Development Team or whatever, as he has already represented Canada and helped lead us to our best ever finish (6th I think?) at the 2013 U19 Fiba Americas. Dude is locked in as a Canadian Player now. We got him. Haha Whether we have him for this summer, I doubt it. Would be really surprised. But would also be amazing.

        Comment


        • Of the current 11 or 12 Canadians in the big league, many are hanging on to their roster spot for dear life. I think Wiggins and Thompson, baring injury are the only locks to still be playing in 2020.

          There are not as many Canadians in the NBA pipeline right now as there were just a few years ago. Murray is likely one, maybe Brooks and Wiltjer.
          Last edited by stretch; Tue Jun 2nd, 2015, 11:33 PM.

          Comment


          • golden wrote: View Post
            Not sure if anyone caught this announcement. Canada basketball is beefing up the coaching staff with Spurs assistant Jim Boylen and Blazer's assistant David Vanterpool. Solid moves.

            http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...ce-to-coaching
            They had some sucess when Malone was running the defense for Leo

            Comment


            • stretch wrote: View Post
              Of the current 11 or 12 Canadians in the big league, many are hanging on to their roster spot for dear life. I think Wiggins and Thompson, baring injury are the only locks to still be playing in 2020.

              There are not as many Canadians in the NBA pipeline right now as there were just a few years ago. Murray is likely one, maybe Brooks and Wiltjer.
              I think Olynyk and Joseph are pretty safe bets to be playing in the NBA five years from now (baring injury, as you said). Sacre's far from a lock, but bizarrely seems to be well on his way to carving out a role as a utility big. Stauskas, Ennis, even Bennett will be given several more years in the NBA to figure it out. Nicholson has proved he's not a complete scrub despite Vaughn treating him like one for the last couple years. I don't think any of those guys are hanging on for dear life.

              In terms of guys in the pipe, Justin Jackson is also a great prospect. But a lot of our prospects emerge as potential NBA players only after making the leap to college (and sometimes not until junior or senior years), so I'm not sure that the pipeline is actually that bare. Hanlan was never on the NBA radar before his freshman season. Wiltjer went from on to off to on again, same with Powell. If we can continue to produce one first rounder and a couple second-rounders each year, we'll continue to be ahead of most other programs.

              Comment


              • After watching Gustavo Ayon and Greivis Vasquez dominate international ball for there respective countries, I cannot wait to see what Wiggins is gonna do these guys
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                Comment


                • haha Gustavo Ayon is a legend in Europe. I still don't know how.

                  Comment


                  • Dirk playing for his country this summer ... Love his passion to represent his country

                    Comment


                    • stretch wrote: View Post
                      Of the current 11 or 12 Canadians in the big league, many are hanging on to their roster spot for dear life. I think Wiggins and Thompson, baring injury are the only locks to still be playing in 2020.

                      There are not as many Canadians in the NBA pipeline right now as there were just a few years ago. Murray is likely one, maybe Brooks and Wiltjer.
                      Murray should be a lock for the pros, anyone know what the deal with Thon Maker is? still don't know if he would be part of the Canadian or Australian Basketball program...although he also should be a lock for pros.

                      Wiggins, Thompson, Olynk, Joseph should be NBA starters...Staukas, Ennis, Bennett, Scare should have regular role jobs and Powell, Nicholson & Bhullar are the only ones with real doubts over staying in the NBA. overall its safe to assume that Canada Basketball is still very young and we should keep our expectation in line for 2016, 2020 is the year I think it clicks and we blow up. Wonder if Triano has any plans to involve Joel Anthony or Samuel Damlebert (problems were with Leo not Triano) just for a veteran presence and leadership with an otherwise group of kids.

                      Comment


                      • RepTdot wrote: View Post
                        Murray should be a lock for the pros, anyone know what the deal with Thon Maker is? still don't know if he would be part of the Canadian or Australian Basketball program...although he also should be a lock for pros.

                        Wiggins, Thompson, Olynk, Joseph should be NBA starters...Staukas, Ennis, Bennett, Scare should have regular role jobs and Powell, Nicholson & Bhullar are the only ones with real doubts over staying in the NBA. overall its safe to assume that Canada Basketball is still very young and we should keep our expectation in line for 2016, 2020 is the year I think it clicks and we blow up. Wonder if Triano has any plans to involve Joel Anthony or Samuel Damlebert (problems were with Leo not Triano) just for a veteran presence and leadership with an otherwise group of kids.
                        None of the staff needs to be Canadian, so let's not pigeonhole ourselves into the very few Canadian NBA vets. If we really want a Canadian vet around I'd prefer Carl English since he has so much experience actually playing for Team Canada. I'd imagine his advice would be better than anything Joel or Dalembert could provide.

                        Comment


                        • Primer wrote: View Post
                          None of the staff needs to be Canadian, so let's not pigeonhole ourselves into the very few Canadian NBA vets. If we really want a Canadian vet around I'd prefer Carl English since he has so much experience actually playing for Team Canada. I'd imagine his advice would be better than anything Joel or Dalembert could provide.
                          On no on English for me ... We are stacked at his position and he is a guy whose ego is too big to just be a role player .. I would prefer a guys like Levon Kendall , Andy Rautins Jermaine Anderson and heck Olynk maybe young but has played for the senior team for years ..

                          Comment


                          • guyroch wrote: View Post
                            On no on English for me ... We are stacked at his position and he is a guy whose ego is too big to just be a role player .. I would prefer a guys like Levon Kendall , Andy Rautins Jermaine Anderson and heck Olynk maybe young but has played for the senior team for years ..
                            I was saying for a coach, not a player. I though the suggestion was to bring Joel Anthony or Dalembert on as a coach, if the suggestion was to bring either on as a player, then hell no.

                            Comment


                            • Primer wrote: View Post
                              I was saying for a coach, not a player. I though the suggestion was to bring Joel Anthony or Dalembert on as a coach, if the suggestion was to bring either on as a player, then hell no.
                              yea I was referring to having one of em on the roster as a player with the vet angle but its not cause I like em. Was thinking strictly along the line of leadership & vet presence seeing how our avg age for our 11 Canadian NBA players (outside those 2) is 22.5 lol

                              Comment


                              • RepTdot wrote: View Post
                                yea I was referring to having one of em on the roster as a player with the vet angle but its not cause I like em. Was thinking strictly along the line of leadership & vet presence seeing how our avg age for our 11 Canadian NBA players (outside those 2) is 22.5 lol
                                Guys like Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson should be veteran enough. They've been doing international competition since 2008.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X