Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Canada has a couple of factors working in their favour for Olympic qualifications next summer (FIBA Americas). One is that the 2016 Olympics being in Rio, Brazil is an automatic qualifier, and two, if the USA wins the World Cup in Spain in September, as they are favoured to do, they become an automatic qualifier. In other words, out of 12 spots in Olympic basketball, 4 teams could come from the Americas.

    Comment


    • #77
      JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Will any famous players come to Toronto for the Pan Am games?
      Do you mean famous Canadian players or international?

      With Canada, these guys aren't going to get a lot of opportunities to play in a national jersey infront of home crowds in their careers, and Basketball Canada will place a high priority on it as a warm-up for FIBA Americas, which is in turn a 2016 Olympic qualifier tournament.
      If the American team wins the FIBA Worlds this year, they may opt out of FIBA Americas next year since they've already punched their 2016 ticket. If so, then the Pan-Am games might be a second-tier of US players fighting for spots on the Olympic team. On the other hand, the US program may place a higher requirement on attendance next summer as a warm-up for 2016.
      Beyond Canada and the US, yes probably most teams bring out their stars, but that's not a lot of 'famous' players. Maybe Ginobili, if he's still participating internationally by next summer. And of course, that Bruno guy for Brazil, who should be a superstar by next summer!

      Actually, it's kinda possible that some Raptors (DeRozan? Lowry?) are on the US squad, Bruno and Noguiera on Brazil, and Vasquez on Venezuela. Add all the Canadians, and that would be a fun tournament to see all those guys matched up against one-another with Toronto crowds.

      Comment


      • #78
        JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
        How could Wiggins be on USA team? & will any famous players come to Toronto for the Pan Am games?

        Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        I think once you play international ball for one country you can't play for another flag ... Wiggins has played for Canada on number occasions

        Comment


        • #79
          guyroch wrote: View Post
          I think once you play international ball for one country you can't play for another flag ... Wiggins has played for Canada on number occasions
          I believe this is correct.

          http://www.fiba.com/downloads/v3_exp...%20PLAYERS.pdf

          18. Any player having played in a main official competition of FIBA for a national team for
          which he is eligible is considered as having chosen the national team of that country,
          with the exception of cases provided for under articles 3-23 and 3-34.
          19. Choices made under articles 3-16, 3-17, and 3-18 are irrevocable.

          Comment


          • #80
            guyroch wrote: View Post
            I think once you play international ball for one country you can't play for another flag ... Wiggins has played for Canada on number occasions
            You can but only under certain criterias which i don't remember, but its hard & not guaranteed. Olajuwan did it. and Roy hibbert refuses to play for Jamaica because he hopes to play for USA basketball, but he hasn't been invited yet and his transfer hadn't been approved yet as far as i know.

            Comment


            • #81
              octothorp wrote: View Post
              That's fiba, for IOC (olympics) he has to wait 3 years.

              Comment


              • #82
                Bendit wrote: View Post
                Apologies for being a bit of a buzzkiller...but joining/playing for the national team is fast becoming a bit of an anachronism. In case we have forgotten most if not all athletes performing at the Olympics in the "popular" sports (team or individual) are highly/very highly paid professional athletes. I am not referring to water polo or fencing of course and such there are great competing interests involved not least of which is the individual athlete concerned about his/hers ability to perform best for those who pay their salaries...or else.

                The lure of national pride still exists of course and will continue for awhile as long as it is a once in 4 yr. commitment. But its more and more becoming an effort for personal gain I believe. A gold medal winning athlete gets a better paying endorsement than not. Sticking with basketball, joining/playing for the Canada basketball team is not just an olympic year commitment but joining the team for practices and playing qualifying games during each of the intervening years. Tough call for the players especially those who have a prominent role on their NBA team.

                As an aside...following the soccer world cup, many an analyst has prognosticated that a big reason Messi did not have a particularly good tournament (at least by his standards) is that he was quite worn out...not just by the close marking by opposing teams but by the brutal schedule he had to endure in club and euro soccer prior to this tournament. Fiba of course milks its players and soccer leagues big time and then they have to play in the world cup. Refusal of course unacceptable.

                One other point...check out the number of US players declining the invitation to join their national team this year. In previous years this would have been an anathema...refusing to play "for your country"? Traitor!
                I'm not sure what your point is.

                Refusing to play in the FIBA world cup is one thing, refusing to play in the Olympics is another. I don't think representing your country in the Olympics will ever get old; unless a player has suffered injuries or has a ton of mileage, they're going to be there.

                A country like the USA has such an abundance of talent that it doesn't make a difference if Kawhi Leonard opts not to participate. When Canada gets going in the next couple of years we are going to need all our NBA-level talent. But if they've been hurt or excessively fatigued I'm not going to be angry if they decline the call, I'll just be disappointed.
                It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                Comment


                • #83
                  No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

                  On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

                  PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                  SG: Nik Stauskas
                  SF: Andrew Wiggins
                  PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
                  C: Tristan Thompson

                  Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

                  I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

                  Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Primer wrote: View Post
                    No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

                    On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

                    PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                    SG: Nik Stauskas
                    SF: Andrew Wiggins
                    PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
                    C: Tristan Thompson

                    Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

                    I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

                    Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.
                    Trey Lyles is likely our best NBA prospect for the 2015 draft. Should go top 10.

                    We're a little weak at C but by 2020 somebody will emerge, and we're deep at every other position. I'd actually consider travelling to the Olympics to see the team.
                    It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Trey Lyles is likely our best NBA prospect for the 2015 draft. Should go top 10.

                      We're a little weak at C but by 2020 somebody will emerge, and we're deep at every other position. I'd actually consider travelling to the Olympics to see the team.
                      2020 Olympics are in Tokyo, so start saving now.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Primer wrote: View Post
                        No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

                        On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

                        PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
                        SG: Nik Stauskas
                        SF: Andrew Wiggins
                        PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
                        C: Tristan Thompson

                        Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

                        I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

                        Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.
                        Other young guys I see as having a shot (in rough order of likelihood)
                        Olynyk
                        Bachynski
                        Powell
                        Kris Joseph
                        Wiltjer
                        Rathan-Mayes
                        Hanlan

                        plus Lyles, as Scraptor mentioned

                        France also has a lot of up-and-coming talent and they're actually a little ahead of Canada in terms of where they're at right now, and they continue to produce a couple draft-quality guys every year.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          octothorp wrote: View Post
                          Other young guys I see as having a shot (in rough order of likelihood)
                          Olynyk
                          Bachynski
                          Powell
                          Kris Joseph
                          Wiltjer
                          Rathan-Mayes
                          Hanlan

                          plus Lyles, as Scraptor mentioned

                          France also has a lot of up-and-coming talent and they're actually a little ahead of Canada in terms of where they're at right now, and they continue to produce a couple draft-quality guys every year.
                          Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

                          Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Primer wrote: View Post
                            Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

                            Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.
                            Nic Batum
                            Alexis Ajinca
                            Jokim Noah
                            De Colo
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Primer wrote: View Post
                              Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

                              Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.
                              Noah and Batum play for France.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Primer wrote: View Post
                                Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

                                Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.
                                Other NBA-calibre (or just below NBA-calibre) guys are: Batum, Noah, Ajinca, Turiaf, Mahinmi, Petro, Peitrus, Nando, plus our local pre-draft favorite, Damien Inglis. If they get a full turnout for the Olympics in 2016, that's a great team.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X