Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Signing a QO is a BIG gamble on yourself .. if ANYTHING goes wrong this year for TT he could be losing on out ALOT of millions of dollars .. I don't really blame him. Would be nice to have him, but I think we can do ok without him.
    Again I say .. If your agent is Lebron's James best friend then what risk are you really taking ? Isn't any player playing on the last year of their contract taking a risk ?

Comment

• We're deep at PF and TT isn't built for international basketball, not the biggest loss. After injury, contract issues is the most acceptable reason to skip repping Canada, so I'm cool with it.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        We're deep at PF and TT isn't built for international basketball, not the biggest loss. After injury, contract issues is the most acceptable reason to skip repping Canada, so I'm cool with it.
        At the FIBA type of event isn't TT more like a centre we have to replace ? His blocking and rebounding will be missed ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
          Again I say .. If your agent is Lebron's James best friend then what risk are you really taking ? Isn't any player playing on the last year of their contract taking a risk ?
          Technically I suppose, but rumours were that Thompson was offered somewhere around $80M over 5 years ... if he seriously injures himself this season, while willingly making $6.8M, you can imagine he won't be looking at a $80M/5 type offer next season.

Comment

Technically I suppose, but rumours were that Thompson was offered somewhere around $80M over 5 years ... if he seriously injures himself this season, while willingly making $6.8M, you can imagine he won't be looking at a $80M/5 type offer next season.
            He must be getting some kind of insurance...
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
              Yeah, it's not really any riskier than any player playing in the final year of a deal. He's gonna get $6.8M this year and have the opportunity to get around $20M per year next offseason. I'll just guess the Cavs wanted to bring him back at $12M per year over 4 years ($48M over 4), so he's risking around $6M this year for the chance to get a 4 year $80M deal next offseason. It's actually a great gamble, as with the big cap jump he'll probably at minimum get 4 year $60M offers.

The Lebron connection doesn't seem to mean shit. They're already saying TT absolutely won't come back to the Cavs next offseason after they forced him to sign the QO by not making an acceptable offer (The Monroe situation).

Comment

That's a max deal. If he was offered that he would have taken it. I think that's what he wanted but the Cavs wanted to pay him a lot less.

Comment

That's a max deal. If he was offered that he would have taken it. I think that's what he wanted but the Cavs wanted to pay him a lot less.
                  I had thought he was asking for $96M/5, I believe.
                  Last edited by Joey; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Lebron's (... er, TT's agent's) shill machine in full effect....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...er-payday-2016

Just like what happened with Eric Bledsoe last season. Lebron's agency appears to have a few media guys in their back pockets....

Comment

• Powell is quite good. He does a bit of everything, rebound, shoot 3s, play defense, a Stanford grad, high IQ guy. His game is suited for the FIBA game.

Comment

Yeah, it's not really any riskier than any player playing in the final year of a deal.
                        Sure it is. Thompson could have received multiple-tens of millions over the next several years, fully guaranteed. Instead, he faces the possibility of injuring himself so severely that he never signs another contract again (obviously absolute worst case scenario, but to illustrate my point).

Someone playing on the final year of their contract didn't have the same opportunity (presumably) to take a new 4-5 year, fully guaranteed deal, before ultimately deciding to play-out said "final year". If they did have the opportunity in the offseason to extend, but chose to forego that option for Free Agency a year later, then I would agree with you that they are taking a risk. But generally, they don't.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Lebron's (... er, TT's agent's) shill machine in full effect....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...er-payday-2016

Just like what happened with Eric Bledsoe last season. Lebron's agency appears to have a few media guys in their back pockets....
                          is this in a round about way Lebron trying to make the owner pay as much of luxuary tax ..

Comment

• Canada vs the field?

Let me properly adjust my tinfoil hat. There we go, it's in place. I'm not sure if it's been asked in this thread but how would the 2020 Canadian Olympic team do in the NBA playoffs? Not against an aberration like the lebron Heat but against most of the competition. Joseph came here at his first opportunity. Tristan has made a very unconventional move in accepting the QO and making himself a free agent sooner than most. Is there a movement going on here to bring the kids home and make a Canadian super team (along with whatever 7 ft Lithuanian wants to join). . But, whether or not a conspiracy is afoot, how do you think a 2020 team (Murray, cojo, wiggins, Thompson, etc...) would do in the NBA?
                            Last edited by Jclaw; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• why would Cleveland pay $20m/yr for a backup, that's poor management

Comment

• Training camp roster is announced:

Name Position Height Hometown Current Team
                                Bennett, Anthony F 6’8″ Brampton, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)
                                Bhullar, Sim C 7’5″ Mississauga, ON Sacramento Kings (NBA)
                                Doornekamp, Aaron F 6’7″ Odessa, ON Braunschweig (Germany)
                                Ejim, Melvin F 6’6″ Toronto, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
                                English, Carl SG 6’5″ Paradise, NFLD Athens AEK (Greece)
                                Hanlan, Olivier G 6’4″ Aylmer, QC BC Zalgiris (Lithuania)
                                Heslip, Brady G 6’2″ Burlington, ON Pallacanestro Cantù (Italy)
                                Joseph, Cory PG 6’3″ Pickering, ON Toronto Raptors (NBA)
                                Murray, Jamal G 6’3″ Kitchener, ON University of Kentucky (NCAA)
                                Nicholson, Andrew F 6’9″ Mississauga, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
                                Olynyk, Kelly C 7’0″ Kamloops, BC Boston Celtics (NBA)
                                Powell, Dwight F 6’9″ Toronto, ON Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
                                Sacre, Robert C 7’0″ Vancouver, BC Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
                                Scrubb, Phil G 6’3″ Richmond, BC AEK Athens (Greece)
                                Stauskas, Nik SG 6’6″ Mississauga, ON Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
                                Wiggins, Andrew F 6’8″ Vaughan, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)

Comment

Working...
                                X