No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who doesn't make the final cut? My prediction: Bhullar, Scrubb, English, and Stauskas, the first NBA player to be cut from the national team.

Comment

• jerome wrote: View Post
      Training camp roster is announced:

Name Position Height Hometown Current Team
      Bennett, Anthony F 6’8″ Brampton, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)
      Bhullar, Sim C 7’5″ Mississauga, ON Sacramento Kings (NBA)
      Doornekamp, Aaron F 6’7″ Odessa, ON Braunschweig (Germany)
      Ejim, Melvin F 6’6″ Toronto, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
      English, Carl SG 6’5″ Paradise, NFLD Athens AEK (Greece)
      Hanlan, Olivier G 6’4″ Aylmer, QC BC Zalgiris (Lithuania)
      Heslip, Brady G 6’2″ Burlington, ON Pallacanestro Cantù (Italy)
      Joseph, Cory PG 6’3″ Pickering, ON Toronto Raptors (NBA)
      Murray, Jamal G 6’3″ Kitchener, ON University of Kentucky (NCAA)
      Nicholson, Andrew F 6’9″ Mississauga, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
      Olynyk, Kelly C 7’0″ Kamloops, BC Boston Celtics (NBA)
      Powell, Dwight F 6’9″ Toronto, ON Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
      Sacre, Robert C 7’0″ Vancouver, BC Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
      Scrubb, Phil G 6’3″ Richmond, BC AEK Athens (Greece)
      Stauskas, Nik SG 6’6″ Mississauga, ON Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
      Wiggins, Andrew F 6’8″ Vaughan, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)
      One surprise is not seeing Andy Rauntins ... Could it be he may have said no to Canada Basketball ? I do think seeing Jamual Murray and no Anderson means they feel confident he will play for Canada ..

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
        Who doesn't make the final cut? My prediction: Bhullar, Scrubb, English, and Stauskas, the first NBA player to be cut from the national team.
        English is a vet, coaches always love vets. But Bhullar and Scrubb are probably not going to make it.

jerome thinks it'll be pick 2 to cut from English, Heslip, and Stauskas, assuming Murray can play the entire tournament

Comment

• on a second thought, they are not going to cut both Heslip and Stauskas.

Based on the PanAm games, Triano really liked playing small ball with Ejim at the four, so they may cut another big.

Comment

• Cuts
            Doornekamp, Aaron ,
            English, Carl ( keeping Stauskas cause he is the future and needs to get his feet wet )
            Hanlan Olivier G

The fourth is tough for me ... Bhullar, Sim maybe but at times during the tournament he gave other teams trouble 7.5 is a something you can't teach
            Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• jerome wrote: View Post
              Training camp roster is announced:

Name Position Height Hometown Current Team
              Bennett, Anthony F 6’8″ Brampton, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)
              Hanlan, Olivier G 6’4″ Aylmer, QC BC Zalgiris (Lithuania)
              Ejim, Melvin F 6’6″ Toronto, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
              Heslip, Brady G 6’2″ Burlington, ON Pallacanestro Cantù (Italy)
              Joseph, Cory PG 6’3″ Pickering, ON Toronto Raptors (NBA)
              Murray, Jamal G 6’3″ Kitchener, ON University of Kentucky (NCAA)
              Nicholson, Andrew F 6’9″ Mississauga, ON Orlando Magic (NBA)
              Olynyk, Kelly C 7’0″ Kamloops, BC Boston Celtics (NBA)
              Powell, Dwight F 6’9″ Toronto, ON Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
              Sacre, Robert C 7’0″ Vancouver, BC Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
              Stauskas, Nik SG 6’6″ Mississauga, ON Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
              Wiggins, Andrew F 6’8″ Vaughan, ON Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA)
              Cuts:
              English, Carl SG 6’5″ Paradise, NFLD Athens AEK (Greece)
              Doornekamp, Aaron F 6’7″ Odessa, ON Braunschweig (Germany)
              Scrubb, Phil G 6’3″ Richmond, BC AEK Athens (Greece)
              Bhullar, Sim C 7’5″ Mississauga, ON Sacramento Kings (NBA)

Could easily see Doornekamp make the team and Hanlan be one of the cuts too. Hanlan was my last one in. I'd be shocked if either Stauskas or Heslip were cut. We're low on guards and shooting.

Comment

• Who are your starting Five ?

Nicholson, Andrew PF
                Andrew Wiggins SF
                Olynyk, Kelly PF

Joseph, Cory
                Stauskas, Nik

Might you play both Cory and Murray at the same time ?
                Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  Sure it is. Thompson could have received multiple-tens of millions over the next several years, fully guaranteed. Instead, he faces the possibility of injuring himself so severely that he never signs another contract again (obviously absolute worst case scenario, but to illustrate my point).

Someone playing on the final year of their contract didn't have the same opportunity (presumably) to take a new 4-5 year, fully guaranteed deal, before ultimately deciding to play-out said "final year". If they did have the opportunity in the offseason to extend, but chose to forego that option for Free Agency a year later, then I would agree with you that they are taking a risk. But generally, they don't.
                  TT has zero injury history, and this offseason just proved teams are willing to spend big bucks on guys with blown ACL's, so even if he gets hurt he'll be fine. It's much riskier to sign a long term deal that undervalues you by $15M-$25M. My opinion anyways.

Comment

• Canada's women's basketball team has picked up right where they left off from the Pan American Games.

Captain Kim Gaucher tied for the team lead with 11 points as the Canadians beat Puerto Rico 94-57 in their opening game of the FIBA Americas women's basketball championship on Sunday.[/B

Canada follows up with a 93 - 36 victory over Chilie 2-0 so far in the FIBA Americas
                    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• 8 NBA players in camp. That's a record for the national team. Kudos to Nash, Barrett, and Triano for the successful recruitment drive and also a shout out to NBA teams for granting permission (Flip Saunders is the man).

Comment

8 NBA players in camp. That's a record for the national team. Kudos to Nash, Barrett, and Triano for the successful recruitment drive and also a shout out to NBA teams for granting permission (Flip Saunders is the man).
                        8? I count 10, plus Hanlan was a 2nd round pick so really 11.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                          8? I count 10, plus Hanlan was a 2nd round pick so really 11.
                          It's eight, really: Bennett, Joseph, Nicholson, Olynyk, Powell, Sacre, Stauksas and Wiggins.

Hanlan has a good chance to make the Utah opening day roster. Bhullar is not on any NBA roster.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                            Cuts
                            Doornekamp, Aaron ,
                            English, Carl ( keeping Stauskas cause he is the future and needs to get his feet wet )
                            Hanlan Olivier G

The fourth is tough for me ... Bhullar, Sim maybe but at times during the tournament he gave other teams trouble 7.5 is a something you can't teach
                            I like the idea of Bhullar in small doses to shake things up once in a while and maybe get a few fouls on opposition bigs. Play him with 2 drive & dish guards that have range, like Joseph and Murray, and he could be a legitimate threat. It's a unique look that only Canada has - massive human who can actually play a bit.

Comment

• Sacre makes Bhullar redundant. Big enough and more skilled than Sim.

Comment

It's eight, really: Bennett, Joseph, Nicholson, Olynyk, Powell, Sacre, Stauksas and Wiggins.

Hanlan has a good chance to make the Utah opening day roster. Bhullar is not on any NBA roster.
                                Hanlan will play in Europe this season.
                                http://www.sltrib.com/home/2817655-1...anlan-signs-in

Comment

Working...
                                X